Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an in line .50 cal. for a while but just started having real problems seating a sabot and a 240g xtp bullet. Just how tight is it suppose to be. I swab after each shot and have used brush and solvent also. It seems to be shooting ok and it’s very accurate. Barrel is nice and shiney. I’m just afraid of a bullet sticking or breaking the ramrod would a small Dab of some lubricant help or a 🔨

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
A lot of things can be causing your problem. First, not all sabots are the same thickness. Changing brands can be a problem and some brands offer different thicknesses. Not all 50 cal bores are the same size either. There is no SAAMI specs for 50 cal bore diameter. Bore diameters can run from .500 (tight, TC runs this size), to .505, and anywhere in between. You need to match the sabot to your bore. Just a few weeks ago a fellow brought his 50 cal TC Encore to me and said he couldn’t load the gun anymore, the bore was too tight. I asked him if he’d been cleaning it and/or had he changed sabots or bullets. He said he had been cleaning it and no, he hadn’t changed sabots. I took him out to the range and took my own TC Encore along as a comparison. His gun could be loaded, but it was with extreme effort to get the bullet/sabot down the barrel. My gun loaded fairly easily….tight, but smooth. After a few shots his gun could not be loaded anymore. I took his breech plug out and ran a brush with solvent down the bore about a dozen times. I then ran several patches down the barrel that came out extremely dirty. After getting his gun clean you could almost drop the bullet/sabot down the barrel. I actually had to use a different thicker sabot to get his barrel “normal”. After questioning this fellow, he said he’d been trying different powder, and primers in his gun and it got harder and harder to load. Short answer is that he was using black powder primers rather than shotgun 209 primers, hadn’t used a brush to clean at any time, and didn’t know about Triple. 7 crud rings. He was wiping his barrel out with a wet patch but not getting the crud residue out of the barrel. I got him going with Blackhorn 209, some 209 shotgun primers, some solvent for BH209, and some sabots appropriate for his Barnes bullets. I suggest you use a shotgun primer if you aren’t now, either switch to BH209 or scrub your barrel with solvent and a brush, if using T7 powder swab and wipe dry between every shot, and find a sabot that fits your bullet and barrel. Both Harvester and MMP make different sabots to try with your gun. Call them and they can advise you which ones to try in your gun. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of things can be causing your problem. First, not all sabots are the same thickness. Changing brands can be a problem and some brands offer different thicknesses. Not all 50 cal bores are the same size either. There is no SAAMI specs for 50 cal bore diameter. Bore diameters can run from .500 (tight, TC runs this size), to .505, and anywhere in between. You need to match the sabot to your bore. Just a few weeks ago a fellow brought his 50 cal TC Encore to me and said he couldn’t load the gun anymore, the bore was too tight. I asked him if he’d been cleaning it and/or had he changed sabots or bullets. He said he had been cleaning it and no, he hadn’t changed sabots. I took him out to the range and took my own TC Encore along as a comparison. His gun could be loaded, but it was with extreme effort to get the bullet/sabot down the barrel. My gun loaded fairly easily….tight, but smooth. After a few shots his gun could not be loaded anymore. I took his breech plug out and ran a brush with solvent down the bore about a dozen times. I then ran several patches down the barrel that came out extremely dirty. After getting his gun clean you could almost drop the bullet/sabot down the barrel. I actually had to use a different thicker sabot to get his barrel “normal”. After questioning this fellow, he said he’d been trying different powder, and primers in his gun and it got harder and harder to load. Short answer is that he was using black powder primers rather than shotgun 209 primers, hadn’t used a brush to clean at any time, and didn’t know about Triple. 7 crud rings. He was wiping his barrel out with a wet patch but not getting the crud residue out of the barrel. I got him going with Blackhorn 209, some 209 shotgun primers, some solvent for BH209, and some sabots appropriate for his Barnes bullets. I suggest you use a shotgun primer if you aren’t now, either switch to BH209 or scrub your barrel with solvent and a brush, if using T7 powder swab and wipe dry between every shot, and find a sabot that fits your bullet and barrel. Both Harvester and MMP make different sabots to try with your gun. Call them and they can advise you which ones to try in your gun. Good luck.
Thank you good information I’ll do some measuring and go with extra cleaning with brush can’t use 209 primers yet but I will be converting as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hornady has a new bullet out similar to Power belts but bullet engages rifling on loading and actually appears to stay together on impact.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
nsb,
i have a 50 cal encore and i clean the barrel around 5 or 6 shots (i can shoot like 15 times the most i ever shot it without cleaning). it shoots a tc mag express sabot and 250gr penta hp and 280gr wfn gc(.429 and .431") with 70gr of goex 2f. i don't do pyrodex pellets or pyrodex granules. the pellets are expensive!!!!!!(says the cheap man:LOL:) i gave up pyrodex pellets about 12 years ago and gone to 2f and i never looked back. i even gave up on my flintlock and PP.

i use rmc wonder plus with blue concentrate and rmc liquid lube or ballistol to do everyday cleaning. hot water and dove soap are for putting the gun away. i do the same thing with my cva fl hawkens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts