Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some suggestions on some .30-06 reloads to try in a new Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 rifle. So far I've tried 165 grain Speer spitzer points with 55.5 grains of H414 powder, 165 grain Hornady spitzer points with 55.5 grains of H414 powder, and factory Winchester loads with 150 grain points (someone gave me an old box). Of these three, the Winchester factory loads seemed to group the best (only had 20 rounds and was sighting in), followed by the Hornady and then Speer. The rifle will be used for deer hunting in northern Wisconsin (deep woods). Most shots will be under 100 yards. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Illinoisguy, which manuals are you using? Having at least two (i.e. Lyman 50th and Lee 2nd, to pick my two starter recommendations) will give you plenty of loads to start out with. You'll have to play with those loads, starting at minimum and working up a little at a time to see your groups tighten or spread. Your rifle and barrel bore are unique only to themselves.

Plenty of details will follow, but without a good set of manuals to study and start with, not much else will matter at this point.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My father does a lot of the reloading for me. He has the Lyman 49th, a Lee from 1996 and several smaller ones.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
After going through load work ups with several 30-06s I've pretty much settled on 165 grain bullets ahead a charge of IMR4350. The bullets may differ as will the charge weight, depending on the rifle.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
My father does a lot of the reloading for me. He has the Lyman 49th, a Lee from 1996 and several smaller ones.
Those are both fine. The rest is finding a bullet you like and suits your needs, finding the amount of a given (appropriate) powder that gives you good, consistent groups that are acceptable to you, and refining the cartridge from there depending on far you want to go (bullet seating depth, primer type, etc) and myriad other details that some (me) don't worry too much about.

You'll find that many members in this forum won't give their load data out for safety reasons. Some loads are at maximum and no one should start there (because - each rifle is unique to itself).

IMR4064, IMR4895, IMR4350, RL 19, H380, and Varget all work with 165 gr bullets in my rifle. There are many others I haven't tried that surely work well. CCI, Winchester, Federal, Wolf, Tula primers all work well. Winchester and Remington brass are fine for hunting, though you can spend more for better.

·
Super Moderator
3,786 Posts
It depends what your rifle prefers

These folks have given great advice. Following recommendations from several reloading manuals and trying various components at the range will provide useful information. Some of us have been reloading for the .30-06 for a very long time and often settle on pet loads for specific rifles. My preference is to use 150 grain spitzer bullets ahead of moderate charges of either IMR4350 for bolt guns and IMR4895 in my M1 Garand. Many component combinations may work well in your rifle. So it depends. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I got a pile of 180gr W-W PowerPoint bullets in a horse-trade several years back. I load those over a heaping helping of H4350, for somewhere between 2,600 and 2,700fps. Anything from 165 grains and up will do just fine; the options are almost endless.

Reactions: CCAguns

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,860 Posts
Of all the reloading manuals, I rely most on the Lyman 50th edition. Any personal specific loads listed on the internet is subject to speculation.

All firearms are different. What works well in someone else's may or may not do well in yours. My suggestion is to follow those proven and tested loads in the manuals.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I used a 30-06 in Wisconsin years ago I tried most of the bullets available in the 70s. Bullet didn't much matter, but IMR 4350 did. Was my go to powder then and still is today for several different calibers. I suggest a bullet that holds together if it runs into stuff between you and the deer..I center punched a popple tree about as big as a beer can and got a complete pass thru on a big doe standing behind it. Was using a 180 SPCL Remington back when they were available...Hornady interlock, partition, or bonded would be my choice today.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Those Weatherby's are said to be pretty darn accurate right out of the box. I believe they have a rather unique tapered throat design, this said don't bother trying to reach the lands, it can't be accomplished. What I would do is pick an OAL that fits the magazine, based on accuracy you could maybe tweak as necessary.

As far as bullets, powders and primers, I've always had very good results working with IMR-4350 or RL19, and CCI 200's. I generally start my developments at or slightly below mid table and work up in reasonable increments until I locate an accuracy node, then I tweak it if need be to find the sweet spot.

Bullets, for deer and such I've always been very pleased with the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core PSP's. It's on rare occasion that I can't get better than 1" groups with that bullet.

Make sure to size your brass so as to get a nice snug fit. Over bumping or unnecessarily bumping the shoulders will lead to premature case failures and does nothing good for accuracy either.

SMOA

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
After going through load work ups with several 30-06s I've pretty much settled on 165 grain bullets ahead a charge of IMR4350. The bullets may differ as will the charge weight, depending on the rifle.

yea, 165gr bullets and IMR4350 tend to shoot well in most if the 30-06 rifles I've loaded for. Somewhere around 54-56grs seems to find the sweet spot for most rifles I've seen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nosler 180 grain Partition and a good dose of IMR 4350 has always shot well in just about every 30-06 rifle I've loaded for, whether it was mine, a family member's or a friend's rifle.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I haven't a lot of experience with loading a 30-06. All the years I've loaded I was just never really turned on by it. But I do have one now that I elk hunt with. One of those once in a lifetime rifles I could never afford, inherited it! First powder I tried was IMR 4064 and with 180gr Hornady Inter ock's it does just at and a bit over 1" all day long with a worn out barrel. Go figure! I have this thing in my hear about cartridge' and bullet's, each has one it handles best and other it can use. In the 30-06 I've always thought the 180gr was the way to go. It handles it just a bit better than the 308 and is about topped out there. My 308's shot the 180's well but hot the 165's better. Never could get a 308 to handle the 150's. Never tried the 200gr in the 30-06 but if I was going to Alaska after big bears, I would.

A cartridge is only as good as the bullet you use in it. I like heavier bullet' at moderate speed's. They don't normally jerk and animal off it's feet but don't destroy a ton of meat either if your a bit off and nick good meat! I've notice with a good, what I consider a good bullet, the animal will acknowledge being hit walk of a few feet and lay down dead. Only bullet I ever shot anything with in a 30-06 is the 180gr Hornady Inter Lock, three elk and each one shot and out! I'm sure there are other bullet's that would do the same thing but I like heavier for cartridge bullet's at moderate velocities! They just work. It did surprise me how welll 4064 worked though. Thought for sure it wasn't slow enough.

·
Registered
304 Posts
30.06 loads

I like the 165 grain Nosler Partition and Ballistic Tip projectiles with an IMR 4350 charge of somewhere between 53.5 and 57.5 grains. Watch for signs of excessive pressure and optimum accuracy. In my experience, the 30.06 caliber offers good accuracy and energy over a relatively wide range of choices for bullet weight, type, and powders, but IMR 4350 is hard to beat, and the 165 grain pill offers good BC and SD.

·
Registered
670 Posts
IMR 4350 shoots very well in my rifle, but as I've gotten older it isn't as user friendly as it once was. Now I shoot 180 gr. GameKings and 47 grains of Varget and am quite happy with that combination.
This load from a Ruger #1B.

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
And it should be considered that at 100 yards maximum range the bullet has only lost a couple hundred feet per second off its muzzle velocity. You don't want it going too fast for the bullet integrity when it hits, so you may well find loading down to 2500 fps is pretty reasonable for that range. Check with your bullet maker to get a better idea of the middle of the recommended impact velocity range.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are looking for accuracy , get some Varget , 165 grain Hornady bullet of your choice and follow the data in the Hornady manual . They say it in print...best results were obtained with Varget....
Gary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts