Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought Lyman mold 225646.  Am looking for tested loads for 222 and 223, and if it will stablize in a one in 16 for my K-Hornet.  Am interested in any or all loads in these ctgs, but with emphasis on 222.  Would like a nice low/med vol load of say up to 1500-1600, and one that would go into the 2200-2300 bracket for 100 and 200 benching.  Would be happy if I could find something at the higher vol as well, but not critical.  Am not interested in what is published because I think I have about one of every thing published on the ctgs.  What I am interested in is actual experiance.  My K-Hornet in in a #3 Ruger, my 222 in a 721 Rem with heavy Saco Bbl, and the 223 in a med heavy Sav 110.  Any and all info would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Paul Nichols

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been shooting the 225438 lyman bullet ( 45 grain, gaschecked, cast from wheelweights) out of a .223 Encore with a 15 inch barrel and have found that I can shoot it at the starting load for the same weight of jacketed bullet with no leading problems.

I have been using IMR4064 powder and at that loading the book sounds like I am around 3000fps. I don't have a chrony, and I haven't put it on paper but I can hit targets ( cans etc.) with it so can't be too far off.

I have just begun playing around with this load so I can't give you a whole lot of information, but it seems to be worth looking into.

For a light load check with the Lyman cast bullet  manual. You should find some Unique loads, or Red Dot, or something similar. Mine shoots 7 grains of Unique just fine. It shoots about like a 22 Mag.

I hope this helps and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Drifty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts