Shooters Forum banner

Loads for rainer tcp bullets

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  J Miller 
#1 ·
Please forgive this question.  
I know this is a forum hosted by Beartooth but I need some loads for the Rainer 250 Gr bullets in the .45 Colt.
Not magnum velocity, nor squib loads.  Something useable in my S&W 25-5 anb Ruger.  
Both have oversize chamber throats and lead like crazy with almost anything I put through them.
I just want to shoot for a while without spending hours cleaning lead out of my guns.  
Maybe someday I can afford to have new cylinders made and fitted to these guns, but not now.
These bullets are neither jacketed nor lead, they don't act like either.  
Ranier has load data, but it's all for Accurate powders.  I have tried them and don't like to use them.  
Maybe someone has loads for Alliant, or Hodgdon, or IMR powders.
Thanks for any assistance.
Joe

#2 ·
Joe,

Try these and although not anywhere near the limit for the Ruger, they respect the strength limitations of the Smith, and will put you into the 800-900 fps range using the Raineer .452"-250g bullet.

Raineer .425"-250g/9.1g Unique/WLPP/Starline Brass
Raineer .425"-250g/9.0g Universal/WLPP/Starline Brass
Raineer .425"-250g/9.5g IMR 800X/WLPP/Starline Brass
Raineer .425"-250g/7.2g WW 231/WLPP/Starline Brass

These should give you a good place to start, and  I would look first to the 800X load and the Universal Clays.  800X, due to its large flakes doesn't meter well through most measures, but it contributes superb accuracy when weighed.  Universal Clays in this application will also be very uniform, and extremely clean burning.

Let us know how these work!

God Bless,

Marshall Stanton

#3 ·
Marshall,
Thanks for the data.  I have some 800x and 231 right now, not shure about the Unique.  I just moved again.  Second time in a year.  Loading bench not set up yet.
Actually I still havent' been able to load those Keith bullets I got from you last year.
I will give these loads a try.  As soon as I can
Joe

#5 ·
MikeG,
No bad experiances when shooting.  But the granules are so fine that they shake out of my powder measure and end up all over the place.
And, this is not important really, it smells weird when I shoot it.
I really do like ball powders, but only those with somewhat larger granule size.

#6 ·
Understand.... I've tried to load 452AA through a MEC shotshell loader.... works about like a screen door on a submarine!

Always suspected that was one of the reasons for Winchester/Olin discontinuing 452AA and 473AA for the "Super" series, that they were just too fine for many shotshell loaders.

No leakage with my current set up, a Dillon 450.

<!--EDIT|MikeG|Feb. 21 2002,10:31-->

#7 ·
MikeG,
I have used a Dillon 550, I like them.  
But I have never had the dollars to get one and get it set up the way I want it.  Lots of neet extras that make using the Dillon sweet.  I would love to buy one.  And maybe sometime in the future I will.
But for now my Rockchucker and Redding powder measure will have to suffice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.