Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the maximum pressure in copper units of pressure or "cup" for the Ruger 454casull ?
I know the max in "psi" is 65,000psi, but need to know
the max in "cup".

·
Registered
83 Posts
A most excellent article Marshall! I would also add that most bullets can not handle the pressures capable of being generated by the 454.  I hold all none HARD cast bullets or those made by Freedom Arms to under 1600 fps in order to reduce the chance of damaging the forcing cone on my revolvers by shedding jackets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to thank everyone for there replies to my
question. I have ordered some 355grain beartooth bullets, could anyone suggest some good hunting loads
for the 454 using this bullet. I have a ruger supper red hawk, and I have not been able to find any loads for bullets bigger than 300grain.

Thanks Again: 454lover

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
454lover,

Check out LoadSwap.com

Under handgun loads you'll find some loading data for the heavy weight bullets in your .454 Casull.  I might add that it is very good information that was submitted there!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marshall Stanton

Thanks Marshall

I looked at load swap and found the loads I was asking
for. I was thinking about the 355grain bullet with 29
grains of H-110 going 1600fps. I read the detailed part and they said this load was shot out of a Freedom arms 7.5inch barrel. Is this within the
"safezone" for presssure. In my ruger 454?

(Edited by 454lover at 11:52 am on Mar. 21, 2001)

(Edited by 454lover at 11:54 am on Mar. 21, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
454lover,

Although the load is probably safe, to be sure, and to get the best idea how your gun reacts both to the bullet and load combination, I would start at 27.5g H110 and carefully work up, using the guidelines outlined in the latest tech note!  Using the Chronograph wil give a very precise picture of what is happening as you work your load up slowly.]

Proceed with some caution, and enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marshall Stanton

Thanks for the reply, and the info. I will try it out and see what happnes.

Thanks and God bless: 454lover

1 - 9 of 9 Posts