Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for locknuts for Lyman "M" die stems for quite a while.  Seems like you never have enough, I like to use 2 on a stem so I don't have to adjust all the time.  I had been getting them a few at a time from a local gunshop (when they were in stock) but seems like I had to pay several dollars each (ouch!).

Thanks to Marshall I found a supply house that will sell a similar part - McMaster-Carr (I have the web address around here somewhere).  Anyway, I found a package of 100!  A reasonable price but I don't need THAT many.

So, if any of you folks would like to purchase from my supply, let me know.  They weight about 250 grains each, a little over half an ounce.  So... I think a fair price would be about 50 cents each, most of which will be eaten up by postage.

This is for the U.S..... I don't have any idea what it would cost to ship them to Canada (Jack?).

Only caveat... they are twice as thick as a Lyman part.  So this would not be a good choice if you are nearly out of adjustment on a particular stem.  They are threaded the same (9/16"x18t.p.i.).

If interested, let my know by email or Messenger.  Here's a picture:

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Mike:
   It costs 65¢ to mail 30 grams - 1.06 oz. to the States.  Guess you'll have to check with the U.S. mail for the rates going this way. 9/16-18 is a standard size but it's not commonly used.  I'd check with Bolt Supply or Acklands in Western Canada before I'd hassle with Customs.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jack.  I figured it wouldn't be cost effective.

Well, here's an example of the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.  I was having an email coversation about building an "M" expander to be used in a RCBS die.  So.... I took apart my RCBS .45 Colt expander die, and lo and behold, the stem (not the die body) threads are the same as a "M" die!

I have been using both brands of equipment for 10+ years... and just now figured this out.

It appears that the RCBS die bodies + Lyman expander stems will have enough range of adjustement to work, as die body position in the press is not so critical as with sizing & crimping.

Good news... I now have a 'bunch' of extra die bodies that can be used with my Lyman "M" stems, as I don't use the RCBS expanders anymore.   Will save on setup time!

Also, I can rob the skinny lock nuts off the RCBS dies, should I need them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts