Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
269 Posts
Anything above about 350 to 360, and you are in the drop off point for speed vs weight. At that point, COL becomes an issue, and you have to seat the bullet further into the cartridge, losing powder capacity. For this reason, You'll find that number to be the same for 454 Casull also, as the case length buys you nothing in powder capacity if the cartridge is limited in OAL.

My prefered bullet would make full use of a Ruger full length cylinder and weigh 360 grains. For the standard length cylinder, a 340 grain bullet is probably ideal. The 330's I have work pretty well out of my Ruger, but I need to do some bench shooting before I post results though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GI, I have used a Winchester 94 trapper in .45 colt to take a wild boar at 40yrds. The hand load I used was a 45 colt round loaded with a 335 LBT WLNGC over 19.5 grs. of H-110. I don't know how fast that round is runing out of that short barrel but when it connected with that boar, he only made it about 10 yards and colapsed in a pile. I used the same load in my ruger vaquero for the coup-de-grau shot to finish him off. There is no signs of pressure or primer flow either. I think you will be as happy with .45 colt as I am. :D

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Here's my decision making process in shooting the 45colt for a deer/bear rifle:

I used to hunt the woods of Northern Vermont with my father and his friend. As gear goes, it was always Carhart overalls, a Woolrich red plaid coat, my Ruger stainless Vaquero as a sidearm, loaded with "ruger power" handloads.
My choice of rifles were the 35 rem or 30-30 in a lever.

Now these woods are so dense that the longest shot you may get was only about 50 yards; in some places less than that. In the hunting process, is was a still hunt in one of many hides we had, or a slow stalk hunt, hoping to come upon a small batch of deer, or an errant bear trying to get one last meal in before the hybernation period started.
I came to think that at such close ranges, both rifles were almost overkill; Certainly able to do the job, but "almost" overkill????

So while perusing a small gun shop one day I came upon a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45colt, with an asking price of around 300 bucks. My thought process was, short of the zeal of buying another lever:D why not just utilize the "ruger powered" handloads [265gr Keith bullet [BTB] loaded over Hodgdon's powerful H110] that I had for the Vaquero in the hunt? I rationalized it as streamlining my choices of hunting rifles.

Being only a 16" barrel, this little lever carried and handled well. It fed and fired my ruger loads,[loaded for max accuracy vs. power in a 4 5/8" pistol] to very tight groups, and late that season took a nice sized 8 pointer. The deer fell whilst feeding, in place, at about 55 paces.

Having the ability to carry one type of ammo that works well in a hand and long gun suited me fine. Would I take the 100 yard shot with the same gun, yes, but knowingly hunting beyond that distance would make me choose another "rifle".

just my .02......

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm Happy With The 45 Colt

WELL i got my first elk with a 45 colt + p load from bufflo bore ammo by accident. i left my marlin guide gun in 45/70 home for a elk hunt and took my browning single shot.

the browning is chambered in 454 casull i have also shot 45 colt out of it.

when i took the shot i threw in a 45 colt load by accident ment to load a 454 casull. POW 50 yards away he drops with one shot i always reload just in case i need a quick second shot . when i walked up on the elk he was dead as a door nail. i empty the gun put the load in my holder then took my empty case out of my pocket the first shot then relized it was a 45 colt from bufflo bore.

since then i have shot pigs out to 80 yards with the 45 colt.

yes its a handgun cartage but i have trust and faith with it as i do the 454 casull.

i also have a 30-06 and other calibers but i love the big cal lever guns and single shot browning. i know i would never take a shot past 150 yards with any gun that is just me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well I've seen alot of talk about the blackpowder 44WCF shootin straight through a deer at range. I guess it doesn't take much to kill a deer; which is why I laugh when I see people talking about using .300RUM or 500gr .45-70+P loads for whitetail hunting.

But I digress, I'm completely new to hunting and I want to make sure that when I'm ready to go, it's a sucessful hunt. If a 200gr .44 or .45 bullet traveling at 1400fps can zip through a deer, what else more could you want?

·
Registered
25 Posts
45 Colt pentration

I shot a deer once with a 12 ga slug. The 1oz slug weighs 437 gr. The deer was facing away and the slug broke one of the back femur bones, came out of the leg, back into the abdomen and went the length of the deer and came out the chest. The deer stumbled about 20 yards and dropped. The 437 grain slug is traveling about 1100 fps so guess a 300gr 45 Colt at 1500 fps would penetrate about as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Oh man, you guys are still replying to this thread? This thread must be two or three years old!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
4/01/2006

what is old is new again....:D

45 colt loaded correctly is a performer.....period.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice job m141a...;)

My friend and I each took a big cow here in AZ using our 45 Colts and leverguns, see the southwest hunting section if you want the details.

The woods are thick where we hunt, and last year my scoped '06 felt useless, thus the levergun purchase.

I'm pleased with both my carbine and my revolver with the grand old cartridge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with almost everything. There is target/cowboy shooting and hunting and the two classes cannot be compared together. Unless you reload for the 45 lc you have no idead what it is capable of. It can easily surpass the 44 in heavy bullets out of a rifle. Anyone who doubts its potential from a rifle needs to grab a reloading manual and and compare 45 cal 300 grain bullet at 1800fps. Compare this to the 356, 444, 35 rem, and on and on. Look at what the old bp 300 grain bullets could do. The 45 is right there. These were buffalo guns. Is the 45 for everyone, no. Is it a magnum, no. Is it capable of a very good low recoil limited range gun for elk, hogs, deer, etc. Absolutely. The key is to forget factory data and reload for yourself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The idea of having a handgun and a rifle in the same caliber is good. Some of the old writers focused on a problem concerning the small rim of the .45 Colt. Some had problems with extractors not getting a grip with the lever guns. As far as power, the old .45 does what it does.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Believe modern .45 Colt cases have a slightly deeper groove cut above the rim just so they would function reliably in lever action rifles. Have had no extraction problems with my '92 Winchester clone using all major brand cases.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I were to purchase a rifle to use the 45LC, should I go ahead and purchase a 454? I would be using it for short range 50-75 yd deer or hog hunting. My understanding is the 45LC is sufficient for this, but having a 454 would provide more options. Any thoughts?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
I got velocities of up to 1700fps with 300 grain bullets in a Marlin 1894 "Cowboy" model .45 Colt. While the .454 is a neat thing indeed, I sorta fail to see how the .45 won't kill a deer with ballistics like that.... you do give up a little trajectory beyond 150 yards to the .454.

In addition the recoil was teeth-rattling as-is; the .454 in the same size package strikes me as painful. To each his own....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Paulinus, If you ever want to scope a lever to hunt with get the 45 colt(or 44mag) in 94 marlin or winchester angle eject. The 92 clones(are the only levers chambered in a 454) are top eject and a scope cannot be put on unless you have it drilled and set up in a "scout style". Besides at ranges of 50 to 75 yds I doubt you'll notice a difference in killing power between a stout 45colt reload and a 454. I always figured if I need more power than a 45colt I'd move up to the 45-70 and if I need more range I'll grab one of my bolt actions. Dave

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a Colt .45 sixgun and the Uberti copy of a Winchester '73 rifle, also in Colt .45 ....I wouldn 't trade em' for gold..... I wear the six in the brush...when ahorseback, it's worn crossdraw ....I also have a buscadero rig just for grins...... I load for them and it's worked out well...I use a cast 250 gr. bullet for both, 16 gr. 2400 ...makes a nice plinkin' load, and I can shoot it all day without earplugs in the rifle....shot one deer with it, with the hotter load (18 grs. 2400, and a Hornaday 250 gr. XTP) small guy, shot right behind the front shoulder, he went about 15 steps and went up and right over backwards and didn't get up....this was @ roughly 75 yds...... I couldn't be happier with em' if I was twins.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Colt .45 sixgun and the Uberti copy of a Winchester '73 rifle, also in Colt .45 ....I wouldn 't trade em' for gold..... I wear the six in the brush...when ahorseback, it's worn crossdraw ....I also have a buscadero rig just for grins...... I load for them and it's worked out well...I use a cast 250 gr. bullet for both, 16 gr. 2400 ...makes a nice plinkin' load, and I can shoot it all day without earplugs in the rifle....shot one deer with it, with the hotter load (18 grs. 2400, and a Hornaday 250 gr. XTP) small guy, shot right behind the front shoulder, he went about 15 steps and went up and right over backwards and didn't get up....this was @ roughly 75 yds...... I couldn't be happier with em' if I was twins.....
This was with the sixgun, or Winchester? I'm really wantin a 73 Win. Taylor & Co. is not far from work and they always have a few 73s in the racks. They are purdy!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
the deer I took with the rifle..... don't think I'd want to shoot one much farther away, course, at my age, I can't hardly see that far with open sights anymore ...... :)

P.S. if I had it to do over, I would have gotten the "Short Rifle" ...it has same curved buttstock, and nice forend cap, ( instead of the barrel band), as the 24' bbl is in the way some times, and for the .45 it's not really needed, and the shorter bbl would be a lot easier to get in and out of the pickup......

·
Banned
1 Posts

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.