Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just called me and stated that he just purchased two stainless steel Puma/Rossi model 92 carbines that have 20 inch barrels. The calibers are .357 and .44 magnums. He wants me to ask the board a question in his behalf. He is thinking about getting another friend of his who is a gunsmith to cut both barrels down to 16 inches to make the guns handier. he plans to use them for plinking, hunting and home protection. Is it a good idea to have the barrels shortened for the purposes I mentioned, or will he be making an irreverseable mistake (so to speak)? Will he lose a lot in terms of velocity and power? What general distance will they able to take game up to and including whitetail deer, and perhaps hogs?

Much appreciation,
Timberwolf

·
Banned
554 Posts
Velocity won't change too much between 20 and 16" in this pistol cartridge.  Handling and sight length do change a bit, which may be good or bad things to you.

As a replica, the Puma doesn't/won't have much collector value, so that's not a consideration.

It's a good choice at which to hack away.  They're cheap, too, so if you make a boo boo you can try again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How old is your friend? If he is post 40, will soon be needing reading glasses, if does not already.
  For us, uh, wise and experienced old bulls that need them, those 4 inches of difference generally turns a sharp front sight in a 20 inch barrel to a fuzzy distorted one in a 16 inch barrel.
  Those Pumas are very handy in the woods with their 20 inch barrels. I own 2, hunt with them a lot (but not as much as I would like...) in tropical amazon forrests that are very thick without any problem.
  luck and health.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend is in his mi-40s, and he has decided to keep the barrel lengh of both rifles at 20 inches. He has persuaded that the extra four inches will add some degree of accuracy and velocity. Even though it may be minimal, it may be enough for aging eyes! I also agree that 20 inch carbines are usually VERY handy even in the thickest stuff.

Regards,
Timberwolf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts