·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I hope everything is well with you...

I wounder if you can help me with:
long distance shooting (400-1000yard) :confused:

1. What equitment do you need (everything from papper and penn to rifelcal. and bullet typ)?
2. What equitment brand do you recomend?
3. What typ of computerprogram do you use?
4. What should I think about?

I have an 300win mag... super good scope.. rangefinder..

Best regards / A

·
Registered
105 Posts
The caliber you have is certainly capable of 1000-yard shooting. You would have to sight in for the specific distance you are shooting at or use a tactical scope in which you may dial in the distance determined by a range finder. Sighted in for 1000 yards, your rifle could be as much as 25 feet high at 500 yards.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If I recall correctly, my .300 hand loads were shooting about 45 inches low at 550 yards! The first place I would start would be get your hands on a good shooting book and read, read, read. Then learn and apply. Learning how to read and compensate for wind at these ranges is the biggest issue, everything else can be figured out relatively easy. Mirages, bullet spin drift, day light, cloud cover, wind direction vs bullet spin, etc..... all affect bullets more at these longer ranges too. It is really too much to explain.

What type of scope do you have? some tactical scopes don't have as much elevation adjustment as you might think. If I recall correctly a 1" tube Leupold MK V 4.5-14X40 scope has about 40 MOA adjustment, whereas the same scope in a VX-III in 4.5-14X40 has 80 MOA adjustment.

I would think that a 180-200 gr match bullet of your choice would work, Berger or Sierra.

Here are a couple good books that I have read.

Precision shooting at 1,000 yards by David Brennan.

Also

"The Benchrest Shooting Primer" by Dave Brennan

These two books are a really good sources of information, just to name a few, for shooting in general, competition shooting and long range shooting. I have read through them and I get all the aspects of it, but I am still perfecting all of my shooting skills, and most likely will be for quite a few years yet.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Specifics on your equipment please. Do you handload? Is it a stock rifle? What magnification range does the scope have? How much travel does it have (mils or MOA)? What brand scope? Bullet choice?Answer those and we have a basic starting point. With bone stock equiment you can hit 1000 yards but not with accurate and precise fire. The goal is to make your rifle consisent, make it reactthe same way to a given influence every time. If your rifle is stock then a cheap way to get more accuracy is to bed the action, with a decent quality rifle you should be around 1/2-3/4 MOA. Getting your action trued helps as well. The next big thing is the barrel, a nice math grade barrel with a 26" length will let you use the velocity that the .300WM is capable of. Stocks is also equally important, you want it tone rigid so the barrel can be freefloated and the action completely supported. Optics are probably going to be the most exspensive thing on your rifle, the optic will last a lifetime a rifle won't without changing in some way. Give us more information and you'll get better answers to your specific needs.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

1,000 yard shooting - my specialty :D...

Once you get started into shooting out to 1,000+ yards, it can be very addictive. What kind of specific information would you like to know about?

A

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Pay attention, guys...if you want to know how to be accurate at 1,000 yards, the ASSASSIN has some words of wisdom for you!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
ASSASSIN, those are works of art ! Calibers please ? I'm guessing there is atleast one .338 Lapua in there !

·
Registered
409 Posts
Assassin, very nice rifles. Do you shoot both left handed and right handed? I noticed there was a left handed bolt on one of them.

·
Banned
296 Posts
The left handed gun seems to be a savage action while the rest look to be remington 700s. ASSASSIN youve got to give us the info on these rifles. Were all wantin to know!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
A few toys that make long range shooting/hunting and first round hits a high probability

A Kestrell pocket weather station and a hand held computor with a ballistics targeting program

A balistics drop and wind drift chart that will fit in my shirt pocket

An accurate rifle and a scope that adjust repeatable and accurately every time

Reactions: MrHunter

·
Registered
79 Posts
For the 300wm,

Case: Lapua or well prepped Winchester
Bullet: 208gr Amax or 210gr SMK (SMK is twice the price)
Powder: H1000 is a very good choice for these heavy bullets. Also a very good choice is H4831SC.
Primer: Winchester LRM

The above is a truly great place to start for a load. As for the 1k shooting, find some information on / get,
-- Wind Reading
-- Mirage - The late Gail Mcmillan would be a good start.
-- A Milliradian type scope of about 14 or 16 power *IF* it has *GOOD* optical resolution. With a 14x max power you can distinguish and engage targets as small as 1 gallon jugs (with red dye-water) easily. First Focal Plane to be desired. Vortex Optics is actually a DANG good deal, and they have a new to the market 4-16 mil/mil FFP scope for well under $1k that is actually quite nice all the way around.
-- Ballistics Program : http://www.jbmballistics.com/calculations/calculations.shtml
-- Chronograph -: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=852429
this may not be The BEST, but it is quite good. It is also reasonably priced. For long range shooting *YOU NEED THIS* It helps A LOT to know exactly how fast your bullets really are going. Unless you are prepared to go up to the Oehler ballistics system that is *VERY PRICEY* this is the chrono to get.

This should get you started pretty well. As Assassin said, just ask and the information is there to be had. :) By the way the 300wm if you can handle the recoil is a VERY GOOD starting place. A guy i know and respect tremendously once said "if you can not take the target out with a 300wm or a 338 LM, then call in an air-strike and have done with it" There is a lot of truth to that.

But, if you can not quite handle the recoil of a 300, maybe you can get a JP Enterprises brake? If that is not an option, then the 7mm / 280 / 284 caliber bullets have great BC and SD as well, with a little less recoil.

The 7/300 WSM is one Great Round, just make absolutely sure to get at least a 9 twist barrel or tighter ( tighter = smaller number )

The 7mm SAUM is also a VERY GOOD round, and I think Norma is starting to produce after market brass for it.

The good old 7mm Win Mag is quite good as well.

The straight old 284 win is also pretty dang good.

Note that for a 7mm of any kind you want at least a 9 twist barrel, or tighter. NOT 9 point something, slower is very bad. And for those of you shooting a factory tube with 9.25 or what ever, yes I am aware that SOMETIMES you can get away with 9 point something. But to be Stable and Accurate, with zero excuses you need 9 or tighter :)

Another thing to consider is a good bi-pod: the harris -
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=155546
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=328534
There are more expensive, and there are ... maybe better ones out there. Harris is a very good bi-pod that is rugged, and extremely field proven. These have the Swivel Feature, and the Notched Leg extenders. Some folks hate the Swivel, I can not do without it for prone work.

Good shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sorry for being so late in getting back to this post...

Like Gary pointed out and as seen in the pictures I posted, the Harris Bi-Pod is indeed a very good bi-pod and one that I relied on for years...

The calibers of the rifles posted are 30-06 and 240 Weatherby Magnum...

Even though I am left handed, I do not shoot a left handed rifle. I only shoot right handed rifles - left handed...

A couple on my favorite calibers for shooting out to 1,000+ yards is the 280 Ackley Improved, 7mm STW, 300 Jr. and 300 Weatherby...

My accuracy criteria is that these rifles/calibers must be capable of consistently keeping 5-shots inside a 2" circle at 600 yards, which is only the starting point....

A

1 - 20 of 37 Posts