Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland

Im in the mood for a " Big " " Long " .45-70 some thing with a long barrel. i like the Marlin cowboy but the NEF single shot looks interesting with it 32" barrel.

I want something i can use at 300 and 500 yards on the range.

Any suggestions on makes ? models ? would be helpful.
Also what kind of accuracy could i expect at these ranges ? What loads give best long range accuracy ?

Regards Englander

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I should think that deciding what's the most important to you accuracy or having more then one round....more ammo in the magazine.
I have a bolt gun in 45-70 that's good way yonder. The Lyman 500 grain bullet with a bunch of IMR 3031 or 4064 packs a whallop at both ends. I've also got a Winchester (new) 1886 with 28 inch barrels that's accurate at 100 yards. I'll find out how it does at 300 and 500 this weekend.
Sometime this year I'm hoping to buy a Sharps in 45-70 or 45-110 for long range plinking.
Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Englander,

My ancestors were from Peebleshire, so glad to have you around.

The long range rifles, good to 1,200 yards, are the long barreled single shots of yesteryear.  The new reproductions carry on that tradition.  There are a number of custom makers in the USA that produce copies of:   Sharps (1874 & 1875); Winchester High Wall; Remington Rolling Block; and Ballard (Marlin).  They have a waiting period of anywhere from a couple of months to a few years.  They also cost a substantial sum.

As an alternative, Italian makers are producing very acceptable reproductions of:  Springfield trapdoor, Sharps 1874; Remington Rolling Block; and Winchester High Wall.  They generally come in .45-70 or 40-65.  Both are acceptable long range cartridges, although some of the long range shooters are now going to 45-90.  Some of the Italian rifles are showing up at the competitions and are doing well.  That is probable your best bet.

To locate them, you can try:  Taylor and Co.; Uberti; Cimmaron Arms; Navy Arms and Dixie Gun Works.  They are all on the internet.  Buffalo Arms will carry all the components and accessories, plus books and other information.

Best of luck!

dclark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts