Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do yall, need a sugestion on long range,big bore,simi-auto. ive looked at the yugo m76-but havent hered much on dependabitly.is it worth the $, ammo is chepe and plentyfull but what is best bang fer my $? if i overlooked a thread plz excuse. hey tkx again-

learnmore...-...livemore

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Not sure you're going to find many responses with those criterion. What exactly do you consider "big bore" ?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Best bet is the Barrett 50 BMG, semiauto. A bit spendy, but it's the ultimate.:rolleyes:

COming down a bit is the 450 Bushmaster on an AR frame. It's a big bore, semi, but not real long range.

Not familiar w/ the Yugo...is that a 7.62x39? If so, not long range or big bore. Better of w/ one of a dozen 308's.

·
Inactive account
1,131 Posts
Since prices vary wildly on them old thangs, hard to give an estimate on your bang for the buck. What price range are you talking about?
Could best be described as a sniper version of the AK47 with a few Drugy parts. They are chambered in 7.62X51, 7.62X54 and 8mm. They should be reliable given the design. Of the friends I have that like the Soviet style relics, none have been super impressed with the accuracy level. Deadly sure but match grade they aint. A fun toy if that's what you want.
I'm not a huge fan of the Avtomatics so it could easily depend on how cheap I could get one. Going dollar for dollar, I would opt for the M1A.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
+1 on the Barrett.

But not the .50 BMG. Get a Barrett Model 82A1 in .416 Barrett caliber. Supersonic to, I believe, 2500 yards, it is the ultimate long range hammer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look into the Romanian PSL "dragunov" style. 7.62x54r wolf 148grn ammo will print MOA @100 yards easy. Load development may tighten things up. They go for around $600.00 at SOG, J&G. I really like mine!

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
To Most

I find that,to most,long range is about 500yds. To me ,being practical,long range is about 300-350yds. This, for hunting and target shooting purposes. Most cannot find a place to shoot further than that. And.....take any given 100 hunters that have hunted for,oh say,20+ years, and ask them how many animals(especially big game) that they have killed, or even shot at, beyond 300yds. I would guess the numbers would be 5% or so.

Now...."big bore" to me (for these purposes) means >.308cal. I know that some shoot their long bbl'ed .45-70's to "waaaaay out yonder" but I do not think that is what you had in mind with your OP. So.....given the OP I would suggest, forget the heavy,slow moving bullets launched by some older type weapon,and the newer calibers designed to hit fairly hard at 100yds or so. Also forget the calibers/chamberings that are newish/fadish that cost a fortune to shoot('les you be rich).

Howz 'bout this. Start with the AR platform. Research the different chamberings for this particular operating system. Last I hear'ed there were about 25 or so. Rule out the "really" big bores for being too slow. Rule out the super small bores for not enough bullet BC/SD. What you got left,take a close look at their longer range ballistics. There are a ton of chamberings that work through the original shorter ejection port. There are lots of "take offs" on the .308 sized ejection port.

Now....you will probably not consider these "big bore". But,they can/will/do put hits on target at some awful long ranges. If you want to stick strictly to big bore at the really long ranges,prepare to start shelling out tonz of dough. If you don't mind straying from your OP of "semi-auto" come on back and ask again.

Let us know what you decide on, thru your research. We promise not to laugh. -----pruhdlr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.