Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum Members:
This is my first post. I simply hope that I can word a cogent question. I came across the
follow data for .224 ultra magnum ballistics. The data was for a 26" barrel. So, if I want
to extract the absolute fastest muzzle velocity, about what barrel length would it be? I'm thinking of using the 55 gr. Nosler. What powder & etc. What are the variables? If you were going to built the "ultimate" .224 ultra magnum, what components would you use, & etc.? For practical purposes and cost control, where would the nexus be for max. accuracy and range?

Gratefully,

Hisflyingtune

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...75+.224+ultra+magnum&cd=1&hl=ko&ct=clnk&gl=kr

·
Banned
742 Posts
The fastest "practical" number would probably be in the neighborhood of around 4100fps. I only state that because there are reports of a 22 middlestead pushing a 30 grain pill at around 5200fps or so. Beyond that I doubt that there are too many bullets that would even survive the spin rate needed to stabilize the bullet. Otherwise you would have to get into much larger military hardware involving larger calibers and propellants not quite available to you and I.

But within the realm of .224 caliber bullets you would need a whole "new" cartridge and barrel lengths both of which needing to be larger and longer than what's currently available without excessively high cost to achieve the 5000fps mark with a 55 grain bullet.

But within a practical range, I think 3800-3900 fps is about the best your going to do with the 223 WSSM with a 55 grain bullet.

Look up "diminishing margin of return" and you'll see why the velocities are what they are on factory ammo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,791 Posts
Please don't double post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.