Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i AM PURCHASING A REMINGTON 770 IN 7MM REM MAG. iT HAS A 24 IN BARREL AND I WILL BE SENDING IT OUT TO HAVE A MUZZLE BREAK PUT ON. i WILL BE SHOOTING 150 GR. NOSLER BALLISTIC TIPS FEDERAL VITAL SHOCK. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE DROP IN INCHES IS(BALLPARK) OUT TO 1000 YARDS? WITH A 200 YARD ZERO.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Not nearly enough information to go on, but I'll offer what I can.

This bullet has a BC of .493 and presuming a muzzle velocity of 3100fps and a 200 yard zero, you would see just over 250" of drop, at 1,000 yards. Total drop would be almost exactly 300".

A much more sensible zero distance would be 300 yards. Your bullet would be just over 4" high at 150 and 4" low, at 350. At 1000 yards, you would be 234" low.

Buy some very good hearing protection.

·
Registered
722 Posts
more than 15 ft low. 345" to be exact

My Bad, I didn't figure in the ballistic tip. I am coming up with 247" low. So a little more than 20 feet low.

I concur, get yourself some good hearing protection.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yikes.
I see the first problem as "Remington 770." The next is 1000 yards...anyone shooting that far oughtn't be asking such [relatively] basic questions.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Yikes.
I see the first problem as "Remington 770." The next is 1000 yards...anyone shooting that far oughtn't be asking such [relatively] basic questions.
Yeah, but we were all new to the shooting world before and thought how cool it would be to hit what we were aiming for at 1,000 yards, so I get where this guy is coming from. I put away all of that foolishness when I learned about maximum PBR and just how critical wind becomes when you try to turn a long shot into a L O N G shot! I know the "science" of shooting has come a long way, what with range-finders, adjustable turrets and those wind-speed meters, but I haven't gotten into that aspect of the game, yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks broom. i never thought you could get hammered just for asking a question. my longest kill shot on a game animal is 650 yards give or take a couple.I have been shooting for a long time and im just now learning about long range shooting.I understand what is ethical and what is not when it comes to hunting.some of these questions i am asking is to try and better understand bullet performance and such at these longer ranges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes.
i never thought of shooting 1000 yards as anything close to basic. But since your the expert,and my gun is one of the problems, what would you suggest

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
How "Bout Dis

Take a gander at this site -->JBM Calculations

Insert the info, out comes what you will need to put them shots on target @1000yds. ---pruhdlr

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not nearly enough information to go on, but I'll offer what I can.

This bullet has a BC of .493 and presuming a muzzle velocity of 3100fps and a 200 yard zero, you would see just over 250" of drop, at 1,000 yards. Total drop would be almost exactly 300".

A much more sensible zero distance would be 300 yards. Your bullet would be just over 4" high at 150 and 4" low, at 350. At 1000 yards, you would be 234" low.

Buy some very good hearing protection.
i have done a little research and have decided to go with the 168 gr berger vld bullet. your idea on a higher zero makes sense thank you

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
i AM PURCHASING A REMINGTON 770 IN 7MM REM MAG. iT HAS A 24 IN BARREL AND I WILL BE SENDING IT OUT TO HAVE A MUZZLE BREAK PUT ON. i WILL BE SHOOTING 150 GR. NOSLER BALLISTIC TIPS FEDERAL VITAL SHOCK. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE DROP IN INCHES IS(BALLPARK) OUT TO 1000 YARDS? WITH A 200 YARD ZERO.

What type of scope are you planing on useing to shoot 1000 yards (1K)?
What is the accuracy of your rifle? What is the velocity?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
JLee, I gotta be honest with you, here.

Anybody who has a "confirmed kill" at 600+ yards really doesn't need to ask questions like this...knowing what I know now, I find your question very disingenuous. I mean, if you can make shots like that, it's because you have done a great deal of practice and already KNOW the answer to such questions. So, although you feel I was kind of backing you up, that was when I thought you were a new shooter dreaming about long-range shots.

There are more and more people electing to "shoot" game at longer than maximum PBR, a practice made possible by recent advances in laser range-finder technology and adjustable turret scopes. Such shooting still takes a lot of practice and skill, but in my mind, it is NOT, nor will it ever be, "hunting". If you have to hold "off-hair" or make X number of clicks on your $1,200 scope, then you're just shooting a target. The tradition and legacy of big-game hunting in this country, to say nothing of the animals themselves, is deserving of more respect.

I hold good shooters in high regard, but have even more esteem for those who put away their 30"-barreled, high-dollar target rigs and actually HUNT, when big-game season rolls around. I know I've preached this sermon too often already, but it is one thing I feel strongly about.

Reactions: Don Fischer

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
Alright guys let's not get into another flame war over long range hunting. That's why the threads always get closed. It's not about "right" or "wrong," it's about disagreeing in a civil manner if you disagree.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If I may...

I have killed plenty of deer at 600+ yards...my longest deer shot was 857 yards, longest kill shot ever was 1,019 yards on a coyote. I got hooked on long range shooting at an early age (9...I'm 37 now) and have done 99% of that hunting (shooting?) with a 308, but I also have a 300 Win Mag and also had a 338 Lapua for a short while (too expensive to load)...custom rifles, all 3.

Its nice to be able to shoot that far...but looking back on it, IMO broom_jm is right, its not hunting, its killing...and nothing more.

The last couple of years I have killed a few of deer just to fill the freezer (the closest was just over 300 yards)...but that type of "hunting" has lost its appeal to me.

I guess I have "evolved" as a hunter, but it took me nearly 30 years to do it...I'm slow to change.

I have put my long range guns in the safe now though...next season I will be toting a Marlin 45-70 and I won't be shooting over 100 feet for the most part...but old habits die hard, I will be practicing and getting my "dope" figured out for the 45-70 out to 300 yards...thats far enough, just in case I really need to take the shot.

No animal stands a chance against a real "shooter" from 300 yards...let alone 1,000 yards. They deserve a fighting chance.

So...even though I have done it that way many times in the past, from now on I'll meet the game on their own terms.

I want to "hunt"...not kill.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Mike,

I think I kept my comments civil, but with wise-cracks like the one from jwp475, I can't help but get irritated. Like Ridgerunner pointed out, the longer you hunt, the more you realize it is about so much more than the "kill". If I'm wrong to present my opinion that using science to supplant woodsmanship trivializes the hunt, then maybe you'd better ban me, because every single time one of these 19 year-old kids with a bull-barreled .308 post some Bob Lee Swagger bull-crap on here, I'm going to let my feelings be known.

I am careful to credit good shooters and that entire discipline. Am I really that out of line to draw attention to the differences between long-range shooting and hunting, if I do so without disparaging anyone?

Reactions: Don Fischer

·
Registered
61 Posts
And another thing for the OP...that 168 Berger VLD, you won't like it in a factory Remington. Those bullets do way better when seated to "kiss the lands"...you can't do that in a factory Remington barrel unless you want to feed them one at a time by hand because at magazine length they will be nearly a full .125" of the lands (thats a long way...1/8th of an inch)

Remington factory barrels have always been that way...really, really long throats. They shoot OK with some bullets (even most bullets), but not VLD's.

And while a 770 may be able to hold 1.5 MOA @ 100 yards (at best)...for true long range work you're gonna want a better barrel. If you must go with a factory rifle...Remington 700P, Remington R5, Remington 700 Varmint...or better yet one of Savages line of long range and tactical rifles (the Savages have longer actions and shorter throats)

All of mine except the 338 Lapua have Shilen barrels on Remington 700 actions (trued)...factory guns can do OK at 1,000 yards...but keep this in mind, 1 MOA @ 100 yards is over 12 inches at 1,000. (and thats not including wind deflection)

For hunting accuracy...you're gonna want .5 MOA or better.

Look at Nosler Ballistic Tips for good long range hunting bullets...they're just as accurate as any match bullet when used in a "tailored" load.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Zero that rifle at 25 meters..then move the target to 100 and make a windage adjustment. You should then be able to hold on fur and hit the boiler room out to about 425 if you do everything right. While it is possible to hit at longer ranges than that it is not practical and certainly not useful in a hunting situation.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would also go with a different rifle if 1,000 yards is your goal. It's hard enough hitting the target at that range with a good custom let alone a plain jane factory rifle. Like said before maybe a heavy barrel Remington or a Savage.

I am shooting a custom 7mm Mag right now that shoots in the 0.3's @ 100 but have yet to take that one out to 1,000. I am shooting Nosler 160 gr Accubonds for hunting but they are a High BC bullet too with a 0.531 BC. Whenever I can get my hands on some 162 gr Hornady A-Max's, those will be my new bullet if they shoot good out of my rifle! They have a 0.625 BC!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
You're missing the point...I want to hunt, but I don't want to eat pictures.

No I am not "missing the point", the persont that states "long range hunting is only killing and not hunting" is missing the point unless he doesn't kill at any range. I disagree with anyone that try's to define hunting by "distance" period.....

By your own admission you intend to "kill" making the hunt turn to "killing" despite the closer range. The end result of "hunting" as defined, by "hunters of game animals" has the taking of the animal (killing) as the culmenation of the "hunt"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts