Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I have been working on a new project and I need some help with matching a gun for it. I got this idea from the iScope. I mounted an iPhone to the scope of my S/S 308 so that the camera looks down the scope. I had to move the scope forward about 6 inches so that you are looking at the screen while shouldered or prone. What I am doing different is instead of using the phone to just record the sight picture, I am programming a ballistic computer into the app. I will input range, wind estimate, scope info, and base accuracy (grouping at 100 yards) and bullet info (muzzle speed, drag coeff, weight, twist, ect.) and the phone will measure tilt and calculate the impact point and CEP (error). In theory I should have a video scope with a full ballistic computer. I think I can also use the gyros in the phone to estimate how steady the gun is being held.

My 308 is a solid gun but it is a shorty for Alabama bush hunting and I want to try this setup out on a real long range monster. If it works I want to take it to a few long range competitions to see how it stacks up for a relative newbie. What do y'all think? A custom 50? One of the new custom rifles and rounds (338, 7mm, 300 win mag)? Or should I go with a heavy barrel 308?

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Sounds like a good way to rattle an iPhone to pieces. :)

In all seriousness, I know your user name is Stutz "Tech", but I like to keep things fairly simple when it comes to guns, shooting and hunting. What you describe seems a little too Rube Goldberg for me. Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Hi guys,

So I have been working on a new project and I need some help with matching a gun for it. I got this idea from the iScope. I mounted an iPhone to the scope of my S/S 308 so that the camera looks down the scope. I had to move the scope forward about 6 inches so that you are looking at the screen while shouldered or prone. What I am doing different is instead of using the phone to just record the sight picture, I am programming a ballistic computer into the app. I will input range, wind estimate, scope info, and base accuracy (grouping at 100 yards) and bullet info (muzzle speed, drag coeff, weight, twist, ect.) and the phone will measure tilt and calculate the impact point and CEP (error). In theory I should have a video scope with a full ballistic computer. I think I can also use the gyros in the phone to estimate how steady the gun is being held.

My 308 is a solid gun but it is a shorty for Alabama bush hunting and I want to try this setup out on a real long range monster. If it works I want to take it to a few long range competitions to see how it stacks up for a relative newbie. What do y'all think? A custom 50? One of the new custom rifles and rounds (338, 7mm, 300 win mag)? Or should I go with a heavy barrel 308?
.50, .416, 338 Lapua are usually big and heavy.

For long range (and I am a 1000 yard shooter), .300 win mag has an edge on .308. BUT.. you're going to want a heavier barrel unless you plan to stay maybe 600 yards or less. Also depends on what you're going to hunt.

I used to carry a Remington Model 600 in the brush and in my scabbard for Mountain lions and Bears in SoCal. Both types of ammo I was using was great to about 500 yards for a short, iron sighted rifle in .308.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This has to be a joke, right? The only part missing is something that tells you when to jerk the trigger. If you've ever shot long range you'd know that is the single most important thing to figure out. But, maybe there is an app for that too?:rolleyes:

Ray

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
…and the phone will measure tilt and calculate the impact point and CEP (error). In theory I should have a video scope with a full ballistic computer. I think I can also use the gyros in the phone to estimate how steady the gun is being held.
You apparently like numbers. so crunch a few before you start.

Consider the very, very small angular tolerances that have to be held to shoot a MOA group at 100 yards, then calculate how that related to movement of the muzzle, and the angular differences your iPhone gyros would have to detect to maintain that level of accuracy.

The consider how fast your iPhone processes that gyro data, how often it updates and how that compares to the movements imparted to the rifle (and sight picture) by environmental and shooter factors.

When you're done you'll probably figure out that you'll either need a very large and solid mount with a lot of mass and a very good stabilization system, or you'l need a well trained shooter with a good Mark 1 Mod 0 Human Eyeball augmented with excellent hand-eye coordination.

There's no short cut to becoming a good long range shooter, and it's not going to be something that can just come in a box.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
. . . your game is going to get bored and leave.
That's funny-- and I don't care who you are. I can just see it: Shooter inputting gobs of data while animal, totally oblivious, slowly ambles away and back into the brush...

Reactions: Easternhunter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I'm a little surprised by the amount of negative feedback. I am relatively familiar with long range shooting and it is the manual process of logbooks, ballistic tables, and windage calculations that I am trying to streamline. This idea started with a DARPA project that led to the Barrett ballistic computer scope:
Barrett BORS Ballistic Ranging Computer and Leopold Scope Package 66000-7WS, Includes Leopold Mark 4 4.5-14x 50mm Scope, LCD Display
This is no different that putting rifling in the barrel or optics on a gun. I'm sure someone grunted, "well thats all good but it don't mean crap if you can't shoot!" I'm talking about aiding the shooter, making him better.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Wow, I'm a little surprised by the amount of negative feedback. I am relatively familiar with long range shooting and it is the manual process of logbooks, ballistic tables, and windage calculations that I am trying to streamline. This idea started with a DARPA project that led to the Barrett ballistic computer scope:
Barrett BORS Ballistic Ranging Computer and Leopold Scope Package 66000-7WS, Includes Leopold Mark 4 4.5-14x 50mm Scope, LCD Display
This is no different that putting rifling in the barrel or optics on a gun. I'm sure someone grunted, "well thats all good but it don't mean crap if you can't shoot!" I'm talking about aiding the shooter, making him better.
Well a number of issues:

1) Handloads.... vastly different from the range of rounds you can buy instead of loading for a caliber. You'll need to be able to adapt for handloads.

2) A lot of us are somewhat old fashioned and in this case, hunting is hunting. We're kinda of funny about new things you can use to take some of the fun out of what we do. If I want to cheat, I use a laser range finder... that's it. I normally know what my ammo can do at range because I've tested it like many of us. If I load my old Palma load for a decent M1A, I know exactly where the round is all the way out to 1000 yards.

3) $2800 bucks for this? If I even thought of something like this (and I have seen it before)... the one thing I'd really want to use it for is long range target shooting and ammo testing which makes it somewhat impractical because they're hand loads.

Only "factory" ammo I ever shoot is military unless it's for a specific reason. Handloads done right are superior to commercial and military ammo.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
I'm guessing you're a younger guy, so what I'm about to explain may not make a lot of sense to you...yet.

Hunting is many things, to many people, but when you've made enough shots and killed enough game, you'll come to realize that the real value of hunting is not to be found in either of those things.

"Hunting", is spending time with friends n' family; hunting is cold, crisp air in your lungs on a gorgeous Fall morning; hunting is feeling closer to God than in any chapel; hunting is "feeling" your place in the world; hunting is finally understanding that everything you GIVE in life is what determines what you get back.

If hunting is shackling an iPhone to some bracket and shoving my scope 6" forward on the barrel (so I can't shoot w/o the d*** phone?!)...then count me out.

I only carry the phone while hunting, begrudgingly, for safety and so I can be notified if my dad, wife or daughter needs help with the deer they harvested. ;)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Some where the art of hunting is getting lost.Why not just hire a Drone to find the game while we sit at home watching on a monitor,push a button and the have someone haul it out for us and mount the head telling everyone we shot it.There is a difference between hunting and shooting.Just my 2 cents worth.

Heck, you can do that somewhere in Texas, can't remember the name of it though. ;):D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Being another old pheart who has finally stopped taking deer as game animal my hunting consists of getting up early, getting my gear and rifle loaded up then head out to the field. I hunt until I find the deer I want to take then get him aligned in my sights, take a deep breath and let some out. Everything is perfect just a little squeeze and I whisper,

"BANG!"

I pack up knowing I shot my deer and wave goodbye as he walks off.

If I'm lucky I can make it back into town by breakfast time.

Now if we're talking Pheasant all I can say is if I could legally fill up my freezer with those birds I'd never eat
chicken again.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The mount for the cellphone would be the mechanical challenge. It would have to hold the cell so that the camera is within the focal range of the scope, with some adjustment so that it can be centered properly. The mount would have to hold the phone securely yet provide some cushion from the effects of recoil.

You would also want a shade of some kind over the cell's display, so sunlight won't affect it so severely.

A lot of the objections noted here are pure BS. The basic idea is sound.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The mount for the cellphone would be the mechanical challenge. It would have to hold the cell so that the camera is within the focal range of the scope, with some adjustment so that it can be centered properly. The mount would have to hold the phone securely yet provide some cushion from the effects of recoil.

You would also want a shade of some kind over the cell's display, so sunlight won't affect it so severely.

A lot of the objections noted here are pure BS. The basic idea is sound.
Again, I've looked at the scope before and it won't work for handloads with calibers dialed into factory ammo unless they accommodate handloads. Most scope companies keep this in mind.

But it's your money... have fun.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Again, I've looked at the scope before and it won't work for handloads with calibers dialed into factory ammo unless they accommodate handloads. Most scope companies keep this in mind.

But it's your money... have fun.
Neither StutzTech nor CharlesB mentioned which scope is being used for this project.

Your quoting CharlesB for your post seems out of context.

Was your post meant for this thread, or was it for a different thread?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts