Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlmen,

I've gotten the oppurtunity to hunt recently on a Government Military installation for a quota deer hunt. Among the many rules for this hunt, one specifies shotgun slug, or blackpowder only. As the terrian is rather open and rolling (tanker country), limited range weapons are a very well thought out safety factor- unfortunately, the big deer are smart enough to stay out of range.

IS there a sabot shotgun slug that will reasonably give a fellow 150- 200 yards? I also have a 209 primed 50 caliber, is that a better option?

I read about some 385 grain slugs at around 1900fps, but i haven't been able to find any thus far in this area, and I must admit that I had to hurry up to get ready for this hunt, and did not prepare as well as I normally do.

Thanks in advance,

S.R.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
At one time Hornady announced a slug load of about 2,000fps, called "H2000" or something as I recall. It was one of their pistol bullets in a sabot. Might be the load you mentioned.

However, I just checked their web site and can't find anything. You might shoot them an email about product availability.

The longest range slugs are probably going to be a sabot of some type, rather than the traditional Foster or Brenneke. I don't have experience with any of them, sorry.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I've been using the Brenneke's with great sucess! Both the 12's and 20's have taken deer!;)

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Whitehunter,

If you're looking at stretching the range to over 125 yards on your hunt, I would certainly take a hard look at your 209 primer powdered 50 cal front-stuffer! Although you might be hindered by the slower repeat shot, I would opt for the better range, trajectory and accuracy that the muzzle-loader would afford, especially in the rolling terrain that you describe.

It all depends upon how comfortable/confident you are with the gun. I have a tendency to like blackpowder guns and the challenges they offer, so for me the choice would be easy. I know what my frontstuffers will do at 175 yards.... I don't have a clue what the shotgun would perform like at those distances.... if it would at all with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Let us know what you do!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sabots fly straight for 125 yds, sometimes 175 yds. But, about 1 in 8 will be a flyer.

I have the best accuracy from a 2 3/4" Foster slug from a smooth barrel. I can hit a pop can out to 80 yds. After that the slugs don't go straight. But the Fosters kill deer better than a fancy sabot with a partion bullet that does not expand at shotgun velocity and despite the advertised power, often doe not leave an exit wound.

Muzzeloaders can shoot a group on any given day, but at 200 yards the whole group will move from day to day or week to week.

This rifled slug and muzzeloader stuff seems to cause a lot of wounded deer. My group has gone back to smoothbore shotguns. They are consistant to 80 yards in any 2 3/4 inch.

The longer slugs in 3" shells don't stabalize right, and are much less accurate.

Don't believe what you read, shoot the guns. And try to shoot a group of five, one shot a day for five days, at maximum range. That'll tell you what the maximum range really is.

I think you need to be able to hit an 8 inch circle on any given day to recover your deer in dense cover. Then, that's the range.

Slugs and muzzleoaders are not like rifles.IMHO.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
First of all, the gun has a great deal to do with accuracy!....what ever slug/bullet you are shooting. The bolt, or single shots guns, do out shoot the switch barrel gyns. The NEF Ultras, with a scope, is an excellen way to good!
Then we get into the old arguement of full bore vs sabot. We hear a lot of fluff about sabots, but my experience is that above a certain velocity the plasctic sabot get tricky....and in cold weather.
We have shot some deer killing groups way out with a NEF 20 ga 3" Ultra and a .625"-500 gr full bore slug/bullet at 1400'/".....out to around 125, or so, yards.......holding the crosshair along the top of the back out there.
Bullet performace out at 125, or so, yards is very important....does the jacketed bullet in a sabot expand? Do you trade Meplat Area for a little flatness? and so on? I see more concern with traectory, and little about bullet performance in game!
Would you shoot a deer at 125 yards with the traditional .45-70 with a 500 gr lead bullet?.....the 20 ga .625"-500 gr slug/bullet at 1400'/" is better as far as trajectory is concerned.
Just some thoughts, James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts