Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 454 is going in the closet for this year... im going to use my 45 acp in some of my BOW stands.... after bow season of course, but the thing is, theres a lot of deer that are under 35 yards. i can shoot easily into the vitals at these distances, but my question is i guess, will i get any more accuracy out of a 6" barrel than in my 4"? and is the difference in velocity great enough to make it worth it.
btw... gun is an EAA witness POLY, 45 acp...

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Wow...Quite A Diff

The bbl length will not improve the accuracy in a 45ACP, or in most other pistols. What will give you the possibility of somewhat better accuracy is the 2" longer sight radius. This is the diff between the rear and front sights.

The added 2 inches of bbl will(IMO) give you another 20-40fps. If your gonna deer hunt with the 45ACP pistol,give a gander at the Hornady 230gr XTP +P loading. The Hornady number is #9096. I have put these thru several of the medium sized hogs at the closer ranges. ----pruhdlr

·
Banned
502 Posts
The 45 ACP cartrided is tuned to the basic 1911 pistols, lengthing the barrel won't do you any good, it may give you a longer sighting radius, maybe 20 to 30 more fps.

I think the 45 ACP is under powered for hunting deer, the 454 may be a better cartridge for deer hunting.

I hunt with a 357 Mag in a 6 inch L Frame, 357 MAX in a 10 inch and Super 14 inch Contender, 44 Mag in Super 14 inch Conternder.

For my standard loads in the 357 Mag there is 200 foot pounds more energy than G.I. 45 ACP Ball Ammo.

I carry a SIG in 45 ACP when I am in the fields, if a deer is down from being hit by a car, my SIG will end it's suffering.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The 45 ACP cartrided is tuned to the basic 1911 pistols, lengthing the barrel won't do you any good, it may give you a longer sighting radius, maybe 20 to 30 more fps.

I think the 45 ACP is under powered for hunting deer, the 454 may be a better cartridge for deer hunting.

I hunt with a 357 Mag in a 6 inch L Frame, 357 MAX in a 10 inch and Super 14 inch Contender, 44 Mag in Super 14 inch Conternder.

For my standard loads in the 357 Mag there is 200 foot pounds more energy than G.I. 45 ACP Ball Ammo.

I carry a SIG in 45 ACP when I am in the fields, if a deer is down from being hit by a car, my SIG will end it's suffering.

Jerry

FPE is a useless measurement of leathality

I have taken Deer with the 45 ACP and it works. I would never carry a weapon for self defense against adversaries that my wiegh 300 pounds and or be heavily clothed if it were not capable of taking Deer cleanly

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya im not trying to start one of those threads where everyone bashes on eachothers choices for hunting calibers... the deal is that ive got a casull in 454... ill shoot anything at pretty close to any angle with it out to 100 yards, sometimes beyond...
the shots im talking about, i could cleanly make with a 22 mag... but i just simply dont want to use anything else.
ive shot a lot of game with a 40 smith, and was fairly contented with the results.
this is close range, and with plenty of patience.

and i agree for the record with jwp.... ive shot a lot of ballistic geletain, and ive got to say, seeing a bullet channel in a hog, or chasing it through some broken ribs of a deer and measuring the exit hole says a lot more to me than shooting pop cans or a piece of paper or jello.... if it cant kill man sized game... how can one expect it to kill man>?

·
Banned
502 Posts
I just don't want to see an animal suffer, plus in Ohio the law has some limits on calibers.

As to a weapon that can take down a deer or a man, some times either or both get back up.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I just don't want to see an animal suffer, plus in Ohio the law has some limits on calibers.

As to a weapon that can take down a deer or a man, some times either or both get back up.

Jerry

Yes, that also can and does happen with rifles and when it does happen it requires another shot.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
It's all about the range, guys...if you're talking 100 feet and under, instead of 100 yards, then just about anything will work. The reason most game agencies don't allow most pistol round, or centerfire .22s, is because they don't deliver enough bullet weight and energy at normal gun-hunting ranges. The OP is talking about archery distances of 30 yards or less and I'm pretty sure a 45ACP will do the job well enough, at that distance.

However: After stating you own a much better option, I don't see the "wisdom" of choosing a marginal cartridge, when you have one that would be authoritative. I get it that sometimes we limit the tools we use, to better challenge ourselves in how we hunt, but if you have a 45ACP, 45LC and 454 Casull, I think picking the least powerful 45 is more machismo than it is common sense.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It's all about the range, guys...if you're talking 100 feet and under, instead of 100 yards, then just about anything will work. The reason most game agencies don't allow most pistol round, or centerfire .22s, is because they don't deliver enough bullet weight and energy at normal gun-hunting ranges. The OP is talking about archery distances of 30 yards or less and I'm pretty sure a 45ACP will do the job well enough, at that distance.

However: After stating you own a much better option, I don't see the "wisdom" of choosing a marginal cartridge, when you have one that would be authoritative. I get it that sometimes we limit the tools we use, to better challenge ourselves in how we hunt, but if you have a 45ACP, 45LC and 454 Casull, I think picking the least powerful 45 is more machismo than it is common sense.

If the 45 ACP is "marginal" on Deer then logic dictates that it is also "marginal" as a self defense cartridge

Ever see the lung from a Deer that 45 ACP has passed through? I am not talking about ball Ammo here either, but it will work

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
If the 45 ACP is "marginal" on Deer then logic dictates that it is also "marginal" as a self defense cartridge

Ever see the lung from a Deer that 45 ACP has passed through? I am not talking about ball Ammo here either, but it will work
Again, jwp, it's all about the range. At 30 yards or less, I completely agree with your logic, and that is what makes the 45ACP effective enough for big-game or bad-guy. If you change that to 100 yards, the pass through to which you refer is not likely to happen with the 45ACP, but the added MV of the 45LC or 454 Casull can only improve upon the penetration and lethality of the round.

For me personally, I cannot shoot a pistol with open sights well enough to fire at deer at 50 yards. If I chose a 45ACP to hunt deer, I would restrict myself to no more than about 75 FEET, because I'm not a great shot with a pistol and my eyes just aren't what they used to be. With an improvised rest, one of my scoped Contenders, and a good shot presentation, I'm confident out to the 200 yards at which I practice. I just make sure the cartridge has enough power to get the job done, at that distance.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Not Jumping In The Middle

BUT......I(personally) look at it like this,when "bow hunting" with a pistol a 45ACP,357mag,40S&W and the like will do.

Exactly like bow hunting deer or hogs,same range,same stealth,mostly elevated stand,relaxed animal,not moving target,etc,etc. Compound bow,pistols mentioned....same 'ol...same 'ol. -----pruhdlr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.