Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe anyone have any experience or info on the Ruger Vaqueros that have been "tuned" by Jim Finch of Longhunter Supply? They look like quite a value considering they sell for close to the Ruger suggested retail price for a stock Vaquero.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
No experience with either (Note: I just realized they're the same thing), but I read the list of what they do for the Vaquero and the two missing items that accuracy revolver smiths normally do are reaming the cylinders to uniform maximum spec, and adjusting the bolt (cylinder lock) timing to center the chambers at the back of the barrel. Opening up the forcing cone may be intended to compensate a little for that? I've never tried it.

I bought a Redhawk years ago that shoots touching holes (about .7" CTC) from five of the six chambers 50 yards, with the sixth chamber always going out low and right to open it up to about 1.6" (this is off bags with a scope). That last chamber needs to be reamed to match the others, but I never got around to it. I just don't use that chamber, normally. More extreme, a friend of mine bought the identical model several years later, and it would not hold 12" at 50 yards. We sent it back to Ruger with an accuracy complaint, and it came back with a note saying they had reamed the chambers. It then shot almost as well as mine.

My point is that chamber reaming alone can make quite a difference. I wouldn't do it unless the gun's accuracy proved unsatisfactory to you? One outfit in the business is cylindersmith.com. It's about $40 to have done and turn around is about one week if you call ahead to get your cylinder a date.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts