Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for load data for the 7-30 W using 120 gr bullets in a carbine contender barrel. I have been shooting the 7-30 for years in my 14" but am looking for a load with slower powder for this longer barrel. I see where a guy posted that he used a MAX load of 42 grs H-414 :eek: He may have been shooting a stronger #1 or something??? That makes me wonder if N-540 would work as well? I see the slowest powder Hodgdon list is Varget. Any thoughts on this...

Just trying to use up some powder for deer hunting that I want to get rid of. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
It's actually a false assumption that you'd use different powders in different barrel lengths. But rather than get into that discussion, I have load data on my website at www.reloadingroom.com

The most effective powders for the 7-30 are those of medium burn rate. H/IMR4895, Varget, IMR4320, RL-15 and others, or AA2520, BLC-2, TAC and similar among sphericals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Its not looking good real for the N-540 (however R-15 is very close according to VV burn rate chart and we all know that’s just a guide). Tac is what I was going to use but it was more of a matter to use up some powders that I have on hand and don’t use for anything else. I buy the Tac by the 8 lbs for my small calibers so since I have plenty I might work up a load with it. My hand gun I was using 3031 and 4320 to use up some old stick powders I have had since the late 60s and am getting them both used up….

I wasn’t sure about the shorter barrels needing a faster powder but am aware that less powder doesn’t always equal less muzzle blast as I found out with 1680 in my 17 AH. Thanks for that tid bit too…

My puter doesn’t want to load your web page for some darn reason…. It starts to then I just get a blue page with some adv on top…. I’ll be looking into getting around that so I can view it and will be looking at your books!

Thanks so much! gw

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Ahh. It's your browser. The page is fine.

Some browsers insist on displaying the site with the pages far right. If you look at the bottom, you'll see a scroll bar as a hint. Just scroll right or drag the tab over with your mouse. It's there.

It seems to happen with IE-7 mostly. Firefox works perfectly - and is a better browser, anyway!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update N-540

I did try N-540 and had excellent results with it. 35.8 grs gave me right at 2550 fps and room to go. Groups was so so around 1.25” at 100 yards for 7 shots

Worked up to 31.0 grs of Tac gave me 2646 fps and this was a MAX load, flatten the primers pretty flat…..

·
Registered
149 Posts
7-30 Waters IMP

I have been shooting a 7-30 Waters Imp for 6 years now in a 24 inch Bullberry barrel.
The load I worked up for it is 37.2 grains of WIN 748 topped with a 120gr Hornady...
In my gun this load out preformed R-15 and IMR 4895....all loads were started at about 10% under max and then pushed up...I tried both Speer and Nosler bullets and in this gun the Hornady grouped the best....I have never lost game with this load having taken White Tail...Red Deer and Wild Boar....In fact it is my main hog gun.

jay

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Neat list of loads but don't know if the original guy still hasn't found one already seeing this thread is 11yrs old. I shoot a 7-30 W as well in my Encore, great little cartridge so the list was of interest to me.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
my dad has a tc 'tender in a 14" barrel in 7-30 waters. its an accurate little bugger. he uses a 115gr speer hp over imr4895. that thing kills deer!!!

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Yup, at sensible ranges out to 200 or so it will kill deer if you put it in the right place. Rolled a fair few over with the cartridge.

Here's the evidence:D

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts