Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a .22 LR in a single shot. It'll probably get a scope and be used for squirrel hunting, Any suggestions ?

·
RIP dear friend
12,617 Posts
Yup, CZ 452 with the single shot adaptor. Gives you one of the most accuate 22's on the market and you can always make it a repeater by simply putting in the clip. Check them out.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I like the Thompson Center Contender Carbine in 22lr. The rifle is light and accurate.

I have a friend with a Browning Low Wall and it is a wonderful rifle. With Dale McGee’s trigger fix this is a good rifle.

If you don’t mind having it worked on extensively the Savage Favorite of current manufacture are a good starting point – these rifles are not satisfactory as they come from the box.

The Savage Favorites from the 1970’s are good rifle but require a bit of work and are not drilled for the scope mount.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Craig/Fl,
I just got back in the house from shooting my new T/C Encore in 22 LR and I'm so happy with it I can barely contain myself. Love the trigger, love the heft, love the accuracy (with good ammo, anyway) and I love the fact that every time I touch it off, I'm pulling the same trigger I'll be pulling next deer season. How can you beat that? Good luck, Craig, and have fun deciding.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I've got a Ruger 77/22 thats just like my hunting rifles and I love it. Its extremely accurate and if I could I'd have 2 more they would be in .22 LR and .22 Hornet, mine is .22 WMR.

I've also got a Marlin 25 that was just over $100 used, it doesn't get shot much but its very accurate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello mattsbox 99. I've got a 77/22 too, the Target Model in 22LR. I chopped the barrel off to 20" and did a little stock work to match the re-worked stock and barrel of my 77 Target Model in .308 , thinking "boy, now I've got a perfect match" but son of a gun, if I practice a lot with one, I drop off a little with the other one (based on silhouette scores) and vice versa. It sounds easy to say, "Well, just shoot a lot with BOTH of them," but I must be one of those people who can't chew gum and walk at the same time. So I'm hoping for good luck with the Encore system. I've got a 30/40 Ackley Improved barrel ordered for deer and I'm hoping it'll feel about as identical to the 22 as I can get, especially with same barrel length and contour, and similar scopes. Isn't it fun searching for the perfect rig, even if it doesn't really exist? Or does it?....;)
quote =mattsbox99;395618]I've got a Ruger 77/22 thats just like my hunting rifles and I love it. Its extremely accurate and if I could I'd have 2 more they would be in .22 LR and .22 Hornet, mine is .22 WMR.

I've also got a Marlin 25 that was just over $100 used, it doesn't get shot much but its very accurate.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I hope I never find that perfect rig... :D or maybe that I find a lot of perfect rigs... I already have several favorites I guess, and several sweet shooting rifles. I compete with a 1911, M1 Garand, AR15, and Remington 11-87 Shotgun, so I keep pretty busy loading up for those.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
my fun woods gun is the marlin 60 ,with 4-12 bushnell.. one other thing .. the velociter by cci.
it took some work, to get to know the rnd an tune it to accuracy but it expanded my ability
as far as 22 is concerned by 30 or more percent..
if i was gonna be forced to compete:) ..id use my cz 452 .. i carry a piece o paper with a 5 shot,, ragged hole an one flyer ,just off the hole,at 50 yrds.[don t laugh im old an shaky]
mike almond has one he shows[he sells them] that looks like one rnd .. good luck as theres some good ones out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the great input. I've been looking into all your suggestions and they all look good, at this point I dont know if I want to keep this simple or go all out. decisions,decisions :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quality and bang for your buck, CZ gets the nod.

If you find one in a store to handle, you can tell just by looking at trhe action and cycling the bolt that it's a well thought out and well put together rifle.

Never heard anything bad about any of them.

I want one but dont' have one yet....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just picked this H&R 765 "Pioneer" single shot up at a local pawn shop for $50. Put some new parts in it and it is a lot of fun for a 1948 built rifle. I suggest checking out some pawn shops if you can.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The CZ and adapter as said, or a older Remington with a grooved receiver in very good condition, and a decent scope.
Some of the 22 scopes have very poor eye relief. If your squirrel hunting, wanting to see small targets that tend to move, you want a scope that is quick and easy to get on target.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Many a squirrel has met its demise from my stainless/synthetic Ruger 77/22 in .22WMR with a 4x scope. I really prefer the WMR to the Long Rifle. No more recoil, but much better range and power. the only drawback is the ammo is a couple of bucks more per box, but it is still cheap enough for me.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
12 year old thread but still relevant.
I've never understood why it's acceptable to squirrel hunters shoot a 22lr or even a 22mag into the air, pretty rare to have the tree as a backstop and even if you hit them the bullet passes through and continues for who knows how far. If accidents were common we would probably hear about them but...just say'in
btw I love squirrel hunting but use pellet guns and 410's.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
Good point. Mostly I've either squirrel hunted in national forest without a soul around, or I wait till they are on the trunk and have a backstop. Throw a rock on the far side of the tree, they run around to the side I'm on.... bang.

Or I shoot them with an air rifle. .17 cal pellets don't go too far.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As a young man, I have shot a lot of 22's up above the horizon at squirrels. I really have no idea why I thought that was a good idea. I am out in the sticks, but there are still people around.

I later switched to hunting from higher on the hill and only taking shots below the horizon. My woods, so nobody else around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts