Shooters Forum banner

Which one or ones should I get and post why, Please!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What should I get? Any thoughts.... what do you have and why? There seems to be alot of .338s to choose from. I am looking for a .338 I could reload fairly in expensive? LOL For a .338 that is!
338 Marlin Express

338 Federal

338-06 A-Square

338 Ruger Compact Magnum- I was considering this

338 Winchester Magnum - I was considering this

338 Norma Magnum- I was considering this

340 Weatherby Magnum (sorry left this off the poll, If this is the "BOMB" I'm sure someone will complain..So if you like this let me know why please)

338 Remington Ultra Magnum - I was considering this

338 Lapua Magnum - I was considering this

338-378 Weatherby Magnum

338 Excalibur

I'm sure I forgot a few...I know I did this was just what I can get stuff from Midwayusa for?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What are you going to be doing with it? Long range target shooting? Elk/moose/bear hunting? As far as cheapest, since the bullets will basically be the same, the cheapest brass and the one that uses the least powder will be your cheapest... so probably the .338 Federal or the .338-06. But if you hunt large brown bears at 'normal' ranges, I would probably go with the .338 Winchester Magnum. If you want to shoot stuff at 1000yds, you might want the 338 Lapua, .338-378, or the Excalibur or Edge or something.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Iv seen ammo for these RUM and the win mag alot more than for some of the others. The lapua is becoming very popular these days though.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Wide range of calibers and usage available in 338. For non dangerous game, any of the unbelted 338s will work fine. For dangerous game I would use one of the belted. The 338 Win mag will probably be the easiest ammo to find if you do not reload. Another consideration is how recoil sensitive are you. I own both the 338 Marlin and 338 Win mag.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I own both a .338 fed and .338/06 and think they are both great calibers. If limited to one, I'd likely choose the .338F. I prefer rifles with barrels less than 24" and it works better with a 22" IMO. I think either one will do anything a .338 needs to do up to the big bears. If going there, then the .338WM would not get my vote either. It would be a 45-70 or .450 for that job. I like that frontal area.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
.338 Win. Mag. because it has been around many years and while the "newer" one are certainly just as good; they might not last too long due to lack of popularity & expense. The .338 Federal would also get my vote too for hunting large game at medium ranges.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
Depending on what a feller is going to use said .338 for makes a big difference.

I always think of elk hunting when I think of a rifle so that's why I voted for the .338 Winny.

The .338RUM for most people is just to much in a hunting weight rifle stock off the shelf, so are the .338-378 and 338 Lapua.

RJ

·
Registered
91 Posts
the 338 excalibur is an interesting caliber. I like the overbore cartridges but the excaliber is even overbored for my taste. When testing the excalibur and its little brother the pegasus they were reporting considerable throat erosion problem with as little as fifty shots. Just something to think about. :)

·
Banned
397 Posts
I shoot a .338 Win. Mag. My son has a .340 Weatherby Vanguard. It has a
muzzle break on it. It doesn't hardly kick at all. My Son has shot almost
every head of North American big game with it. He has a Grand Slam on
Sheep and has all the Bears except the Polar Bear. He has never lost a
head of big game with the gun. The .338 Win. Mag is a very good killer of big
game as well.

Zeke

·
Registered
484 Posts
.338 win mag. Many like new use rifles out there from those who underestimated the RC. I have a Ruger 77 mk II. Great shooter and the recoil is not really all that bad. It is more of a push with 225 gn pills. The ease of getting ammunition and it being relatively inexpensive. You can find it just about anywhere.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I voted for the 338wm based on my favorable experience with it. Accurate, moderate recoil (at least in my rifle), good out to 500 yards and kills critters well.

Once you get into those high capacity cases it does take some discipline and recoil tolerance to shoot well unless you want to put a muzzle break on your rifle.

The 338 RUM is a fine cartridge, that bucks pretty good, but seems to be only available in a Remington rifle. ;)

I like the thought of the 338 Federal but for where I hunt it's legs are probably a little short.

I guess, for me, the 338wm is one of those cartridges that is "just right".

·
Banned
131 Posts
Well the .338LM speaks for itself, 500 yard shots on mulies is something well within it's range. If you want the king of the .338 cals then why not the Lazzeroni? I think it's called the Warbird or Patriot, screamer of a bullet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well the .338LM speaks for itself, 500 yard shots on mulies is something well within it's range. If you want the king of the .338 cals then why not the Lazzeroni? I think it's called the Warbird or Patriot, screamer of a bullet.
its a pity that most people cant shoot it accurately.--magnun flinch.if you can handle the big bang --well and good. -if not a 338win mag might be for you.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do not have a .338 myself. I voted on this criteria, wanting .338 power with good reach and being fairly common. There was only one that is a classic around the campfires. An old standby if you will, and it does all this. I voted .338WM. and when the results came up, I see I am not alone in my thinking.:D

·
Registered
654 Posts
I voted 338 Win Mag, but the 338 Ultra Mag would be a close second choice. The Win Mag is very easily loaded, doesn't burn tons of powder like the bigger ones and you can push a 225gr bullet up over 2900FPS without too much trouble in most rifles. You can also push a 250gr bullet at 2700FPS which would shoot through all but the largest animals. I have a Model 70 Stainless Stalker with a BOSS and man, it shoots really well and hammers game. Scotty

·
Banned
425 Posts
.338 win mag come shoot it!

What?Come shoot this it works and has been around!

·
Banned
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
338 win mag

This is a 338 win mag board huh! Seems like a reasonable 338 to start with. The 338 marlin is attractive as I am a lever gun fan. But I think I'd rather a bolt gun in 338 first! Thanks for all the info thus far. FDG When I head that way you better have saved me a box LOL!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts