Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've owned a 45 semi-automatic handgun for the last 5 years. I never knew anything about guns since that purchase. I shoot 50 rounds once a month at a range.

But, I still feel a little naked since I can't protect myself from long distances away! Basically, if someone shoots at me from far away with a rifle their probability of hitting me is higher than me protecting myself with a handgun! What do you think? Are my feelings realistic?

Anyway, my main question is what good (and can I say accurate) rifles can I buy that are legal in all states if not all of them?

I have never owned a rifle or used one in my life. I know nothing about them!

What should I consider in purchasing a defensive rifle?

After purchasing a rifle, what else should I do?

What should I know in general about owning and taking care of the weapon. What else can you tell me? What should I know?

Thanks,
WantLegalRifleW

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
The greatest battle / ranch defense rifle of all time was born in the USA: the lever action Winchester.

Having one in the same cartridge chambering as your handgun makes even more sense.

It has excellent magazine capacity and its most endearing, life saving feature is its unique design to have a cartridge in the chamber, rifle in the shoulder, ready to fire while you are reloading.

Added: It was never meant as a hunting rifle - the whole design was the most pure result of thinking: "The best defensive weapon to be had." Therefore designed to shoot the same defensive cartridge as the side-arm.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I worked as a range assistant in the late 70's and 80's and we provided the facilities to qualify the Houston FBI office 5 times per year. They stressed close quarter situations (7 yards and in), but part of their handgun qualifications required some rounds be fired at 60 yds. They would do some classroom work and go over their UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting) statistics they collected from all gunfights involving Law Enforcement. I can't remember that statistics, but I am pretty sure that most of the data pointed out that most firefights were within that 7 yd. (21 foot) range, inside of 5 feet being a significantly high number.

I think you are probably overthinking your situation, but being proficient in shooting a rifle is not a bad thing to be. You will probably NOT find any semi auto rifle that would fit most peoples definition of a defensive rifle that would be legal in all 50 states. What do you consider long range? Many would say 50 yards or longer. Many handguns are quite capable of reaching out and touching someone at that distance, but most shooters are not.

I have a particular love for the Heckler and Koch line of light rifles with the MP5 being my favorite (MP5SD silenced even funner). Neither of these choices would be legal without the proper paperwork and exorbitantly expensive. The HK237 in 300 Blackout would be a fine choice too.

Personally, I think your fears are unfounded. Become as proficient as you can with your 45 and you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
My choice would be an 870 Wingmaster, nine shot tube. Belive me the hum of those rifle slugs just passing close by makes a time for serious pucker factor. We used them 40yrs ago as a tactical weapon and trained out to 100yrds. IF, in the unlikely chance that a 'sniper' has you lined up from further out than that, then chances are your not going to get a chance to return fire.
IF however you still want a rifle, then any of the so called 'black' rifles, can be 'tricked' up to shoot very accurately, if your up to the job.
Believe me when rounds start to come in, then all of that range training, as good as it is for gun handling, goes out of the window.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
... Is this the right right rifle?

The greatest battle / ranch defense rifle of all time was born in the USA: the lever action Winchester.

Having one in the same cartridge chambering as your handgun makes even more sense.

It has excellent magazine capacity and its most endearing, life saving feature is its unique design to have a cartridge in the chamber, rifle in the shoulder, ready to fire while you are reloading.

Added: It was never meant as a hunting rifle - the whole design was the most pure result of thinking: "The best defensive weapon to be had." Therefore designed to shoot the same defensive cartridge as the side-arm.

Do you mean this rifle? Is it legal in most states? What are its benefits and drawbacks?

Rifle --> https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/winchester-1873-carbine-45-lc-lever-action-rifle-10-rounds-20-barrel-walnut-stock-blued-048702010392.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=119974

Thank you,
WantLegalRifleW

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the best defensive rifle

My choice would be an 870 Wingmaster, nine shot tube. Belive me the hum of those rifle slugs just passing close by makes a time for serious pucker factor. We used them 40yrs ago as a tactical weapon and trained out to 100yrds. IF, in the unlikely chance that a 'sniper' has you lined up from further out than that, then chances are your not going to get a chance to return fire.
IF however you still want a rifle, then any of the so called 'black' rifles, can be 'tricked' up to shoot very accurately, if your up to the job.
Believe me when rounds start to come in, then all of that range training, as good as it is for gun handling, goes out of the window.
Do you mean this rifle? Is it legal in most states? What are its benefits and drawbacks?

Rifle --> https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-wingmaster

Thank you,
WantLegalRifleW

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you use a rifle to defend yourself from far away you will most likely end up in jail. Justified self defense in most states is defined as no other option. A shot gun makes a far better self defense long gun with less collateral damage down range.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,464 Posts
Good grief, do you live in a war zone? I didn't think Maryland was that bad. Baltimore?

If you need a rifle to defend yourself, you probably need the Marines as well.

Seems a bit over the top to me. A shotgun would be handy for home defense, assuming you know how to use one. Need to look into your local laws first, I seriously doubt anybody in the country has the gun laws in all 50 states memorized. Rule of thumb, if it is for sale in the local gun shop, it darn well ought to be legal in the jurisdiction... or the shop owners are going to have some serious problems.

And you probably ought to review the lethal force statues in your state. Kinda struggling to imagine any scenario where a rifle fits in.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts

Indeed I do, WLR, if your budget allows it - a Rossi or earlier model JM Marlin which used the same action will be considerably cheaper.

With a traditional lever action you will never have the possible banning and confiscating issues looming beyond the horison for so called "assault rifles" (or " black rifles") and you will never have any issue in any state.

The present massive fad by sellers and owners of semi-automatic military style rifles is based on an even much worse scenario that you envisage. ;)

As was mentioned by another poster you may be too pessimistic about beyond pistol range engagement but any rifle is way more accurate than a handgun under stressed moments. A handgun is a last ditch defense.

A shotgun and its self defense value and the possibility of inadvertent damage to your loved one being held hostage or just in the vicinity? PM me and I shall give you real life experiences of shotguns in self defense situations - not good. In any case it is worse than a handgun beyond handgun range and at handgun range it is a distinct liability - and you will not have the pleasure of range shooting as you will have with a lever action.

Reactions: ttexastom

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
An AR15 is legal in most states. More data on that rifle than any other. 5.56/.223 is actually better than a handgun bullet as far as risk for collateral damage. It’s velocity dependent and bleeds off velocity quickly as it hits walls or structures. A test not long ago showed it does more damage, but if you miss and it goes through a wall it is less likely to cause tumbling and will cause less damage than a handgun. It also penetrated less depending on load used.

If an AR15 is out of the question... the lever action rifle in .357 mag or .44 mag would be my choice.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,601 Posts
I'm wondering if this is for the Zombie Apocalypse or next mass school/nightclub/shopping mall/anti police ambush/SWATTNG shooting.

If this is for reals, I have a Winchester 1200.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here. You have an interesting screen name. Just curious how you came up with it.

Since you shoot at a range every month, perhaps some of the folks at the facility could answer you question and maybe show you some rifles. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
507 Posts
Curious as to why you feel there is the possibility you may be under threat from sniper fire? Envisioning long range "counter sniper fire" is a stretch for me. In the unimaginable circumstances that would cause you to come under a "long range threat", in all likelihood you will be shot dead before you even know they are there, so your choice of a "defensive rifle" is mute. You must live in a very bad area to be that paranoid.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,980 Posts
I'll come straight out and say, this smells like a Troll.

50 rounds a month is a good start, but not exactly intimate usage and knowledge of a pistol. Now you want to know about "defending yourself from long distances away"? Talking about lobbing shells back at the McCoy's, is a perfect way to find yourself up on murder charges for stray bullets you launched in a decidedly not defensive move.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
.....and the fact he/she/it refers to an 870 Wingmaster as a rifle.... TROLL
He seems not versed in rifles and shotguns and because he asked for rifle advice - and the reference to "tube" possibly was not immediately explanatory to him?

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,601 Posts
Maybe he will come back and further explain the "why".

RJ

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I think he might not be a troll and I too think he is being unrealistic.

I do personally use a rifle for self defense. Why? Shotguns don’t offer a whole lot of penetration (good or bad depending). The rifle shoots fast, is very controllable, and more accurate than a pistol.

Ideal long gun for self defense IMO

AR15 with 10.3-10.5” barrel and a compact sound suppressor. Mine is actually a little more compact than this one. Overall length is less than a 16” rifle, light recoil, noise is minimal and won’t wreck your ears, flash is minimal to non existent. That’s my opinion on best rifle for Self Defense.

Most wont commit to it though. It’s a SBR (highly regulated like a machine gun) and a sound suppressor (regulated pretty good). Overall cost of rifle is $1200-2000, a high performance suppressor is going to run you $600-$800+, then $400 in tax stamps and 3-12 months wait time.

5.56NATO from that short of a barrel loses a lot of velocity so it is safer than a pistol if bullets go through walls. I use this in the same way I use a pistol. It’s my bedside firearm. Don’t put a sling on it though.

SBr’s And suppressors are legal in the majority of states. I think Sbr’s In 30 something and Suppressors in 45 or so. If your state doesn’t allow SBR’s you can permanently attach a suppressor to the 10.5” barrel by pinning and welding it in place to an overall length of 16.1” and you don’t have to worry about SBR laws.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Now..that looks like an assault rifle to me and probably..

restricted in some way in some states.
You guys should go a little easier on these new-bees since there will be a lot of new people seeking expert advice on firearms in order to deal with their paranoia, now that legalized recreational marijuana has entered our lives.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.