Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear a 2 tier fanny pack when I hunt...a design that has a padded waist belt with quick-release buckle and shoulder straps.  I need to find a holster for my Redhawk that works with this pack system.

Suggestions?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

I really like the crossdraw holster in general but especially so with a big sixgun like your Redhawk.
I typically carried my .41 in a Bianchi Cyclone. In commercial makers I cannot recommend El Paso Saddlery Co. enough. Their products are excellent and somewhat less expensive than several competitors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

It will be hard to recommend a rig that works with your hunting pack without knowing how it fits you. If the belt is wide and covers a good portion of your waist, adding a gunbelt won't be easy. If you have the room, you can position your gunbelt below the beltline of your pants. Crossdraw would be my first choice when in the field. This allows you to carry a backpack and not constantly bump the butt of you pistol against the pack and allows you to protect the gun with your hands when traversing through thick brush. A flap holster would do that work for you but they're hard to find these days.

Butt packs work great as long as you can position the belt for the pack in a manner that allows you comfort. You could do any with the gunbelt and carry on your pants belt(use a wide, double thinkness belt to support the weight of the gun)and run the pack belt under your holster.

If you give some more information, maybe a picture of yourself wearing the pack posted here, maybe we can throw some more ideas your way.

So hows that big Ruger shoot anyway?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents -

MT - the pack I have is the Ponderosa Guide Pack from Packs Plus:

The Big R felt like shooting a .38 special with the 250 gr. factory Remington loads.  I don't know what the velocity of that load is (my guess is 800 fps) but I could shoot them for hours on end.  All of my reloading tools are on order so I hope to be "back in ammo" within a couple of weeks.  

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

As long as you wear the waist strap for your pack at or above your pants belt line you should have no trouble with a crossdraw holster. A strong side rig could give you some discomfort. Check out El Paso Saddlery's Tom Threeperson crossdraw. Their phone number is 915-544-2233.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
MT,

That's exactly the holster of which I was thinking. I believe these days it's called the 1930 Austin. The last time I checked El Paso's website they made no mention of a crossdraw option, but I'm confident it's still available. El Paso really goes out of their way to give the customer exactly what they want.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bill,

The 1920 Threeperson and 1930 Austin are two different models. The Austin is a single loop holster where the Threepersons uses a stiched flap on the back for the belts tunnel loop. I've never handled the Austin but thats my understanding of the difference. The El Paso online catalog leaves alot to be desired, their paper catalog lists a lot more of what they build. The Threeperson's holster is offered in crossdraw and is even pictured with a Redhawk. I tried posting the image but it was rejected as too large. I'll try again later.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
MT,

Thanks for the clarification. It's been a long time since I last ordered an El Paso catalog, so I was relying on the questionable website. Great leather, crummy www. And as you say, the paper catalog is a good one. Very informative. I really should get an updated copy.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well.......here I go cross grain again! I know leather is traditional for sidearms, however if you are in any damp hunting conditions like we are in the Southeast, you might want to consider "Uncle Mick's Cordura" holsters. There no type of acids, etc to get on the gun and it dries out very quick. Sorry about that, fellas!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
194 Posts
No no James, you're right on the money. Good nylon is never a bad choice. Of course bad nylon is another story. I wish the Uncle Mikes and Bianchi lines hadn't shrunk as they have in the past few years. The old Uncle Mikes flap holster was a great buy.  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Good points made by James. But I will always prefer leather because it is quieter, generally stays in place better than nylon holsters, and doesn't mar a blued finish like many synthetics. And there is also the question of esthetics as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alan said:
I wear a 2 tier fanny pack when I hunt...a design that has a padded waist belt with quick-release buckle and shoulder straps.  I need to find a holster for my Redhawk that works with this pack system.

Suggestions?
Alan, just reading your message, and the answers. El Paso does make great holsters. I have one for my Blackhawk. I haven't seen a recent catalog, so don't know what they offer now. I can list one you DON'T want to buy. I just went through a deal with Westbound Leather. The holster did NOT fit my pistol, plus there were several other things about the holster I didn't like. The big thing! Customer service lousy, with NO refund! Just a word from someone that got burned by them. There's many other holster companies out there right now though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts