Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.<o></o>
I’m a 26 year old guy from Finland (Europe) and I’m soon having my gunsmithing school done here in Finland. I think our culture of gunsmithing here is, maybe historic and old, but small, as our country is. I look really up for our skills here in Finland, but I still wonder what would it be in other places..<o></o>
I’ve thought about this for quite a while, and I would really like to go work in some other countries, overseas, like USA, or some other country.
So this threads reason: Can anyone tell me about possible ways to get hired in other countries as a gunsmith, gun metalworker, or even a printist? Where I should start? Sending my CV’s to the companies?<o></o>
I’m really grateful for all the answers and even the smallest information helping my cause!
Thanks/J:)
<o>
</o>

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
well i wish you the best.. they ll be plenty of repair work here..
but if things keep moving in the direction they are going..
you may have to choose the govt ..to work for on military weapons..or,
an this is just a possibility .. you may have to work on the sly.. as our
right to bear arms is threatened like it never has been..i expect the antigunners will split us up an the haves can have guns after paying for the priviledge [not the unalienable] right,as it is now]
the haves will be dumb enough to buy into that system,,mabe..
but you welcome..i hope you choose the patriot side if you come over..JMO slim
ps that is what the U.S. WAS REALLY SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT..

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Check with U.S. Immigration and see what is required. I am guessing a work permit of some sort to get started. The term "green card" may come up also. In some industries you need a sponsor company to say they have a job for you; that may not apply to gunsmithing.

As far as general immigration without being for work-related purposes, I think there are quotas for each area of the world..... see what is available for northern Europe or Finland specifically.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife is an immigration lawyer--it's some pretty complex stuff. If you want to immigrate here as a worker, you don't have many options. You can be a seasonal worker (like at a ski resort, or picking fruit), pick an occupation that automatically has visas available (like nursing), or pick an occupation where the employer stands a chance of showing there is not a qualified U.S. citizen who is ready, willing and able to take the job at prevailing market wages. Prevailing market wages are usually pretty high, which makes this requirement tough to meet. There are only 65,000 of these visas available each year, and the vast majority of them are used up immediately by the high-tech industry. Applying for one of these will probably run you at least $5,000, and that is just for the application. No guarantees that your application will be accepted, and then even if it is accepted, there are no guarantees it will be approved. Those are your options for employment-based immigration. You'd be better off trying to marry a U.S. citizen who could sponsor you. Or developing a gun culture in Finland.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe look a little farther north. I work with a couple of guys here in Alberta, Canada who immegrated from Europe. I don't think it was easy for them to get here but nothing worth having is easy.

Also, there are not many gunsmiths left around here.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A really big thanks for your answers. It is not the easiest thing to get job overseas anyway, but like graham1 wisely said: "nothing worth having is easy". Your answers and knowledge is really helping me, thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts