Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of .30 cal rifles. .308 win, .30-06 sprg, and .300 win mag. I use these for everything from varmints to whitetail. Instead of buying another gun in one of those calibers, what are your thoughts on other rounds that are out there in .30 cal? I do all of my own re-loading, so availability of brass is a concern for me. What .30 cal are you guys shooting, and why?

Thanks
Wazz13

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I use a .308 for my Deer Hunting + have taken a few Coyotes with it. The .308 is just about the best cartridge for my use on my property. Also have own a couple of .30-06's, .30-30 (Remington M-788), and still have an SKS which I sporterized.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a 308, 30-06, and 300 Win mag. I sold my 30-30 and SKS in the past few months but I'm keeping what I have.

:D

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
What will you use the fourth gun for? Is the 308 too big for it or the 300 mag too small?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What will you use the fourth gun for? Is the 308 too big for it or the 300 mag too small?
Sorry about that Rocky. I am looking to add something bigger than the 300 Win Mag. I also have trips planned for Canada and Western USA next year. Labrador Caribou, Mule Deer, and Elk.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you want to stay with 30 caliber and you want something bigger then the 300 Win mag then I would go with a 300 Weatherby Mag.

I have a 300 Win mag and a 338 Win mag as I hunt Elk in Colorado every year and this year I got a 7x6 Bull with the 338 Win Mag.

I went a different way this year and I would consider it as an option and I bought a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen which is a 30-06 case necked up to 35 caliber. I'm shooting 200 Grain bullets at 2800 FPS and 225 grain bullets at 2700 FPS which put it right up there with the 300 Win mag and the 338 Win mag and it carries more energy because of the larger diameter bullet. It also has less recoil then the two magnum rounds.

Just a thought :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not consider a .338 Win. Mag.?

That thought has crossed my mind as well. Maybe I will start a new thread to open up discussion on the .300 Win Mag vs .338 Win Mag.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Well, buy what you want - but you are already perfectly suited for any or all of those animals. With the 308.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it must be .30 caliber, different and exotic, why not a .30-378 Weatherby? If you ever desire to go the other way and hunt with something nostalgic, the Savage 99 in .300 Savage is just the ticket.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can understand your love of the .30 caliber rifles, I have a few myself, but with 3 already in the arsenal you've already got a bit of built in redundancy. How many .30 rifles do you need with a 250+/- fps jump from the next.

I'd be content with what you have or step up in caliber. .338 win mag, .350 rem mag, something along those lines.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I am a big fan of .30 cal rifles. .308 win, .30-06 sprg, and .300 win mag. I use these for everything from varmints to whitetail. Instead of buying another gun in one of those calibers, what are your thoughts on other rounds that are out there in .30 cal? I do all of my own re-loading, so availability of brass is a concern for me. What .30 cal are you guys shooting, and why?

Thanks
Wazz13
Well...

How about a 300 H&H or a 7.5x55 Swiss

·
Registered
437 Posts
.308 Lazzeroni Warbird is fairly good sized. I believe it equals or betters the 30-378 Weatherby. Too much money and hassle though. Go on youtube and type up .338 edge. There are some awesome shooters in the good old USA.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I just picked up a Sendero in .300 Rem Ultra Mag. I like it a lot. I too have a .300 Win Mag, and just wanted something with a little more edge to it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I second tang on this. There many other choices in the 30 caliber class but if you are looking for something that outperforms the 300 winny you should go with the 300 RUM. Possibly the 30-378 but I like the RUM better. :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Sorry about that Rocky. I am looking to add something bigger than the 300 Win Mag. I also have trips planned for Canada and Western USA next year. Labrador Caribou, Mule Deer, and Elk.
Until I got down to here, I was gonna say .30 carbine!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The only things above a .300WM would be .308 Norma, .300RUM, .30-378 and the Lazzeroni Warbird. You could however make yourself a wildcat and do something crazy like necking a .50 BMG down to a .308 to shoot those heavy .30 cal bullets. With a good break you wont feel a thing :p

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just picked up a Sendero in .300 Rem Ultra Mag. I like it a lot. I too have a .300 Win Mag, and just wanted something with a little more edge to it.
if you want bigger, sounds like the RUM is right up your alley. Looks to me like you are missing the .30-30 from your collection of .30 cals

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am having a custom 308 Norma built. I sold my 300 win off a couple years ago and this Norma is going to replace it. I would recommend it but it's kind of redundant if you own a 300, but I would take the Norma any day of the week over the 300 Mag.

What about a 30-8mm. 8mm Mag case necked down to a 308. A friend of mine shoots it and loves his.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts