Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for a new deer rifle and want some input from others before I make the investment. Just a little about myself, I'm 23, 5'2" and 165lbs and just got out of the Marine Corps Infantry, so I've had a little shooting experience and recoil is not an issue, but I am a left handed shooter and would like a left handed bolt action rifle, and being so short I would like it to fit my stature. So these are the rifles I have been looking up; the Browning a bolt, I have found a used one at a local shop it is a 7mm-08 stainless stalker LH w/BOSS system and a Nikon scope, the problem with this is they are asking $899 for the rifle and I would rather not spend that much for a used rifle I was thinking of offering him $700 to see if he would take it but am not sure what it is really worth as I have not been able to find another like it online. I've also looked up the Beretta T3 lite stainless synthetic LH, I was thinking in a .270 win. And the last rifle in my list a Remington 700 SPS compact synthetic LH in 7mm-08 as well. As I have not handled the later 2, I'm not sure how they feel in my shoulder, I have the Browning and it is comfortable and I can get decent eye relief with out having to lean forward. I have a Remington 760 30-06 so if I ever happen to get a Moose permit that is the rifle I would use, so I am really just looking for a deer/target rifle. Any input would be useful and would like to hear from anyone that has any experience with these rifles or input in general.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Hello Maine0341. Welcome to Shootersforum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in.

You'll get MANY replies to this thread, so if you are around to read them, you'll get all the information you could possibly want about which option to take. You'll probably get a bunch of other options, too. We're an enthusiastic bunch.

All three of the calibers you list are definitely up to the job for deer hunting. I shoot a 270, but readily concede that the 7mm-08 is every bit as good in the deer woods. There are many who would suggest your -06 is just as good, or better, and I will not argue with them. With handloads or factory fodder, all you have to do is shoot well and the matter will be decided.

Depending on the exact model/condition of the Nikon scope, that is probably a pretty decent total price for the Browning. I have fairly short arms and definitely prefer shorter stocks, so I can sympathize with your position. If you can talk him down to even $800, and you really do like the way the gun fits you, then I would pursue it. The $100 you save is probably not worth the hassle of trying to piece together another gun that might not fit as well.

If you want to be able to shoot targets (competition?) as well as hunt, I would definitely recommend the 7mm-08 over the 270, for the reduced recoil and better bullet options.

Good luck and be sure to come back to tell us what you eventually get.

·
Banned
490 Posts
This would be a great one for you:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104017

The Youth Model stock would be a perfect fit for you. My daughter is 5' 4" and has a Model 7 Youth (right hand; same stock size) in .260 Rem. and the stock dimensions are very nice for her.

Model 700's tend to handle very well, feel lively in the hands and shoot accurately. The 7mm08 would be a great deer caliber up to 300 yards or a tad more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im with wildhobbybobby. There's nothing wrong with shooting a youth gun if it fits you better. The 7mm-08 is a great round for deer. If you wanted a tad more power you could look into the 270 win but most youth guns I see are short actions.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for a new deer rifle and want some input from others before I make the investment. Just a little about myself, I'm 23, 5'2" and 165lbs and just got out of the Marine Corps Infantry, so I've had a little shooting experience and recoil is not an issue, but I am a left handed shooter and would like a left handed bolt action rifle, and being so short I would like it to fit my stature. So these are the rifles I have been looking up; the Browning a bolt, I have found a used one at a local shop it is a 7mm-08 stainless stalker LH w/BOSS system and a Nikon scope, the problem with this is they are asking $899 for the rifle and I would rather not spend that much for a used rifle I was thinking of offering him $700 to see if he would take it but am not sure what it is really worth as I have not been able to find another like it online. I've also looked up the Beretta T3 lite stainless synthetic LH, I was thinking in a .270 win. And the last rifle in my list a Remington 700 SPS compact synthetic LH in 7mm-08 as well. As I have not handled the later 2, I'm not sure how they feel in my shoulder, I have the Browning and it is comfortable and I can get decent eye relief with out having to lean forward. I have a Remington 760 30-06 so if I ever happen to get a Moose permit that is the rifle I would use, so I am really just looking for a deer/target rifle. Any input would be useful and would like to hear from anyone that has any experience with these rifles or input in general.
Why not consider a 308 Win for deer and targets? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered that, and also the 300 win mag, but can't really find any that have short enough stocks that I would feel comfortable shooting them. Most of the .30 cal rifles, I find if scope mounted I have to lean into the scope or have the scope pushed back closer to my eye to get proper eye relief.

and thank you broom_jm for the advice and the welcome

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with RaySendero. Nothing against the 7mm-08 but if you are not handloading you will have a wider choice of factory ammo in the 308. I'm not sure what the value of a used Browning Stainless Stalker is but you could check on www.gunbroker.com
I bought a gun there pretty easy. Just have to have somewhere to ship with a FFL. Look only at the auctions with bids, as some sellers have really inflated prices. Might be tricky finding a lefty.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I was in the market, I called around and searched the websites until I found a LH bolt gun that I wanted. I picked up a new Ruger .30-06 MkII in left hand on sale at Bass Pro for $450 and picked up a new Leupold VX-III 3-9x50 scope for $435 on Ebay. My point is, if you shop around and are not tied in to a certain model or caliber, you can get a new, quality rig for what you are talking about spending on a used gun.

All of the calibers and models you are looking at will do the job, as will many others. .243, .257, 25-06, .308 are some others you might want to look at.

·
Banned
490 Posts
The M700 SPS Youth Rifle I recommended above is available in either .243 or 7/08. Since you already have a .30/06, I felt that a lighter caliber would make a nice addition to your battery. I recommended the 7/08 because it has more punch than the .243 and could be used on larger game such as elk or moose if you desired. But it will be YOUR rifle, so buy what you want!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Maine0341, congrats on getting out of the Corps. You deserve a new rifle that fits you correctly and is chambered in whatever caliber you want. Both the 270 and 7/08 are great rifles and would be fine for moose also. I would look at the Ruger Compacts if they are LH'ed versions and the Browning A-Bolt or the new X-Bolts in a LH version. Also, they have Youth Models, which are identical to the longer length of pull rifles, just way better suited to you having a better center of gravity and fighting position (shorter) than some of us. Remember too, scopes can usually be moved forward or backwards about an inch or more, so you can fix some of the other rifles to get the correct stock weld and sight picture. Again, congrats on your recent departure. Get a nice rifle, you are proud of, you deserve it! Scotty

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think the 7mm-08 is a GREAT deer cartridge, though I've never used one. I currently own Ruger compacts in 243 and 260, and a Browning A Bolt in 270. The 260 and the 7mm-08, have nearly identical ballistics, especially if you handload.

I love the Browning, and it's my favorite gun when hunting near fields and longer shot opportunities, but since I bought the Ruger Compacts that's practically all I use. They handle so nicely, they weigh less than 6 pounds sans scope. I can carry it one-handed easily. And, they really knock down the deer. They have a stock length of pull that's usually considered in the "Youth" category, but I'm 6' tall and wear 34 inch sleeve shirts. I quickly got used to the shorter stock, and now the Browning feels too long. An A Bolt Micro might be better for you than the standard length A Bolt.

I don't know if the Ruger Compacts come in LH, but last week I handled one of the afore-mentioned Remington Youth models in a 7mm-08, andI was tempted to take it home. Definately check it out.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
From a retired Army fella, I'd first like to thank you for your dedicated service! I've hunted in Maine several times and have always enjoyed it. That being said, I too like the idea of a .308 more so than a 7/08 for that type hunting. The Browning might be a decent deal, depending on the model Nikon sitting atop it. Prostaff or Monarch??

Lots of decent rifles in .308 out there. Me, I like the Ruger Hawkeye. It's a true S/A rifle, unlike the Tikka which is L/A only. A waste for a S/A caliber IMO, and yes, I've owned two Tikkas. The Ruger also has the best scope mounting system out there today. And best of all, it's absolutely free, saving you $50-$75. I'd look at a Ruger, put a very forgiving Leupold 2-7x33 scope on it (lots of eye relief) and you'd be good to go.

Or, how 'bout a Sako in .338 Fed? Here's a deal, hard to say no to:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/98773863...l_85_Hunter_Walnut_338_Federal_demo_1_new.htm

Thank you again for serving and welcome back to the world!(as we always said after returning from deployments!):D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Second the recommendation on the Leupold 2-7X33; that's what's on the Ruger Compact in my sig pic. The Burris Fullfield II 2-7X35 is on my other Compact; also a nice scope. Fits the proportions of the compact and other short guns very well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have alot of buddies who shoot with a 243.they all seem to like it and say that it does the trick.Another option is the 25-06.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The 7mm-08 is great ! Plenty of power, light recoil and usually accurate.

You mentioned a .300 Win Mag. You might try finding a used Ruger Frontier in .300 WSM. They had a smaller stock, and it is a very handy rifle !

Also, if it comes down to it, buy the caliber you want and get a youth stock to throw on it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much for a used rifle, one to look at that I just looked at recently is the Ruger Hawkeye Ultralight. It is a little smaller I believe then their normal Hawkeye but a nice handy rifle. Some others to take a look at are the Browning A (or X) Bolt Micro Hunter, Rem M7, and I think Savage makes a youth/smaller model that may fit well and be a good buy. You can't go wrong with the 7/08 in any of those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ruger doesn't really have what I want, the compacts don't come in LH, and the standard M77 has a longer stock then I would prefer, I'm going to look around to see if I can find the Rem 700 to see what it feels like, as it is the same rifle the snipers use.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,668 Posts
Keep in mind the stock length is the easiest thing to modify. Not usually a big deal to cut one shorter.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Keep in mind the stock length is the easiest thing to modify. Not usually a big deal to cut one shorter.
Excellent point! This gives the OP the option of most any LH bolt rifle, especially the common wood stocked ones. It's always best to remove the action and weatherproof the stocks inletting and butt pad/plate anyway on any wood stocked rifle. A competent gunsmith can also trim most any barrel's length and re-crown for only about $50., too. This shortening, done properly, will rarely effect accuracy and will most likely improve it, when it does.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts