Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1895G and quickly found out it is not drilled and tapped for the type of peep sight I am used to (Williams) on my Model 94. I am wondering if there is a peep that fits the bolt holes that are inline with the receiver. Also wondering if there is a peep sight out there that both the front and rear sights are equipped with some sort of tru glo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
Yes, there is a top mount version, check with Brownell's, Midway, etc.... you may need a taller front sight, also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a Williams FP on my 1895gs that bolted right up. It worked very well. I switched the front sight out for a Fire Sight, although I can't remember the height. If you go to the Williams web site they list the part numbers for the 1895. Or at least they did a year or two ago.

Chris.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
In my opinion Marlin really hurt their rifles when they quit drilling their rifles for the side mount receiver sight. I believe Marlin and Winchester quit drilling their lever-actions for awhile in the 1940’s. Advertisements from this time offer a tap and drill for sight mounting.
The Marlin receiver sight which uses the top scope mount holes allows the sight to hang off the back of the receiver and this interferes with the thumb as it stabs the hammer on a snap shot. This thread pictures one of the new Williams sights mounted on a Marlin 1894. Look for KenK’s post #15

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=30261&highlight=.32+h&r+magnum

The Lyman receiver sight has advantages to the hunter over the Williams sight but Lyman is very short sighted in their marketing strategy and is loosing the sales race.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My 1895 has an XS Ghost Ring on it that works great. I am looking for a fiber type sight for the front sight though, as I am losing the last few minutes of shooting light. Trying to avoid scoping my 1895 if I can help it.
Dan

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Williams make TWO different versions of the FoolProof (FP) receiver sights for Marlins.

The older FP-94/36 fit the two factory prepped holes in the receiver side, and is a side-mount sight.

The newer FP-336 is an identical sight that has a different base, which top mounts in the two rear scope mount holes atop the receiver.
The horizontal sight bar lies behind the base, ILO on top of it, and can sit almost touching the receiver top.

The less expensive, grubscrew adjustable, Williams 5D receiver sight is made like the FP.

A 3rd Williams peep, which fits the scope mount holes, is the top-mount Williams Guide Receiver Sight (WGRS-336) - which is MUCH higher than the FP, and will need an even taller front sight blade to achieve a proper zero.

Sights that hang off the back of an M1894 do not hang off a M336 or M1895, because those models have a longer receiver than an 1894 - the scope mount holes are not as close to the hammer. ( I have both models)

Williams also sells FireSight sets, with an FP receiver sight and a proper height FireSight fiber-optic front sight (which can be bought separately in several different heights).

Here's the two different Williams FireSight set item numbers for the Marlin 336, from Williams:

Item #70861 - 5D-336 - $52.95 (Mounts using scope mount holes)
Item #70282 - Marliln FP336 - $82.95 (uses rear scope mount holes)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Sights that hang off the back of an M1894 do not hang off a M336 or M1895, because those models have a longer receiver than an 1894 - the scope mount holes are not as close to the hammer. ( I have both models)

That is good to know about the 336 because the Williams sight certainly fould the hammer on the 1894.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Williams peep for the 336 will fit the 1895G. Its what I have on mine with the factory front sight and I will never change it. Wonderful peep!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm another highly satisfied customer who can recommend a "Skinner" receiver sight. You won't find a better sight for the price, quality, and service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts