Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the original dimentions for his bullet?Anyone know?Here is why I ask,BTBs 265 45colt Keith advertizes a metaplat of .350.I have some Rim Rocks advertized as keiths that has a metaplat of.285,and MTBs kieth style has a .320.With all these variations I am sure other companies may have another size too,who is right?

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell45KeithSWC.htm

So here in lies my question that no one seems to answer if Fryxell says the meplat was .330 why are those that are not of that claiming that they have Keiths?Use Keiths etc etc.They could say they use a mold,bullet or whatever that is Keith style,but that wouldn't be a true Keith now would it?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
I don't think that Keith specified a particular meplat or ratio of meplat to bore area. It was more in the three equal length driving bands and square grease groove? There are some good articles on the old Sixgunner web site if it's up.

The "Keith" molds originally ran about .280" across the nose, anybody who makes up a mold can design what they want.... all the above that you listed should work.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Maybe someone can help me understand why folks can get so worked up about the meplat of a bullet and what the different names mean? Seems like with most of the cast bullets being in the 35 caliber range, and up, expansion isn't all that important, just a frontal area that is large enough and hard enough to penetrate well and do significant damage. Am I missing something? I have never seriously considered casting my own bullets, but recognize that it could be a very valuable skill to have, if things get ugly. I would like to try loading some cast bullets in the 35 caliber wildcat I've been working with, just to see what they have to offer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts