Shooters Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright got another one for you guys. Turkey season starts this weekend. I need to know what loads are safe to put through my gun. I know steel of any kind is out. What about Tungsten, copper plated, nickel plated, etc? I saw some Federals loads on the shelf today that were #6 heavy lead. Back of the box said it had hardened shot pellets for better penetration. But it's still lead so it should be fine for the A5 right? I believe Tungsten loads are softer than steel so that should be okay too right? Just want to make sure I don't hurt this old gun trying bring home a nice Tom this year.

Also is there a weight of shot I shouldn't go over?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
The only turkeys I shot with a shotgun, fell to standard trap/skeet loads. So....... don't have to over-complicate it, if you can call them in close enough.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Stay away from 1 1/2 oz 'baby magnums' and use what you'd find in a hardware store in 1950...high brass 4s or 6s in a full choke. ounce and a quarter or ounce and three eigths shot. I love copper and nickel plated shot and its not harmful to the gun. My favorite 'high base' load is 3 1/4- 1 1/4oz -#6 or 7 1/2 for pheasants and chukkars. That is an old British 'Live Pigeon' load considered hot and powerful between the wars. It chronographs within 30 fps of a 3- 1 1/8 trap and skeet load so lead is the same. I load them in different color AA cases with red wads and Herco. Simplify and consolidate.

Reactions: roverboy

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts
I know steel of any kind is out. What about Tungsten?
Tungsten is harder than steel, but I've never seen tungsten shot, do you mean Bismuth maybe?
Like MikeG said, don't over complicate things.
I've killed them with just about anything you'd shoot geese with, #4 up to BB or T. And I've also used a cheap walmart trap load.

Just start patterning the gun, and understand what you are capable of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Tungsten is harder than steel, but I've never seen tungsten shot, do you mean Bismuth maybe?
Like MikeG said, don't over complicate things.
I've killed them with just about anything you'd shoot geese with, #4 up to BB or T. And I've also used a cheap walmart trap load.

Just start patterning the gun, and understand what you are capable of.
Tungsten is the most common type of pellet used in Turkey Magnum loads these days. Just scroll through this list here on the Federal website and you'll see that most of these Turkey loads are either Tungsten or a combination of Tungsten and lead.

Anyway the only store around here that had anything but clay loads had a whole shelf of this stuff so I'll probably go back and pick up a couple of boxes. Should work good for Turkey.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
At one time I recall reading about a 'tungsten matrix' or such load, that was tungsten mashed up with something else (plastic?) so it wouldn't tear up barrels. Whether that's on the market or not anymore, dunno.

Seems a bit sketchy, and a solution in search of a problem, but just my personal opinion.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts
Tungsten is the most common type of pellet used in Turkey loads.

Well I'll be switched...

Think I'd want to know more about it(the specific alloy) before shooting it, yikes!

Appreciate the info!

Reactions: Tman5293

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
When the phony, false, non-evidentiary push for non-lead shot started, I ignored it and still do. MY shotguns shoot lead. If you want more penetration load copper or nickle plated lead. It's easy to shoot modified patterns through a skeet gun with plated shot. It's much easier to ruin a nice shotgun with somebody's 'new and improved' marketing experiment.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hevishot has been around for over 15 years. It is softer than steel and 35% denser than lead. It has unreal penetration, even at yardages in the 70 yard range. It is however EXTREMELY expensive. Everything that I have read is that it will not harm most barrels. 1 1/8 oz. of Hevi is the equivelent of 1 3/8 lead.

I would however find some copper or Nickle plated lead for Turkey in 1 1/4 oz. (#4 or #2) and limit my shots to ~55-60 yds. There are some people that swear that Hevishot is God's greatest gift for certain game, but I cannot get past the price. The change to non-toxics just about did me in on Waterfowl hunting. I probably never made more than 1-2 trips a year after the switch where when I could shoot lead, I went duck hunting almost daily.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I got the rebuild kit installed tonight. Took several good whacks with my hand to get the stock off. Then found 70 years of gunk built up in there. Was very surprised to find that the action spring plug is made of wood and not a machined piece of steel. Very odd that JMB would go with wood instead of metal for that part. The new bronze ring slides on and off the mag tube much easier than the old one. Hopefully she's now ready for another 70 years of service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well I've got a bit of bad news. It appears someone has taken a hacksaw to my full choke barrel at some point in the past. Went with my old man to pattern our guns today for the hunt tomorrow. The A5 is all over the paper at 25 yards. Looks like my Model 97 will be doing the turkey hunting this year.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts