Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got some 200gr. FP(.44). I have load data for Unique, but none for Red Dot, which i have plenty. I looked in Lee, Lyman, and Hornady manuals. I want to shoot them at 750 to 900fps. It will be in mag cases, as I donot keep Special cases around(too easy to make a mistake!). Does anybody have Red Dot data for this cast bullet size? Thanks, Terry

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
44 special or 44 mag? . Here is some info from Loaddata.com

44 magnum
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
200 Round Nose Flat Point Alliant Red Dot 6.3 968
Remarks: starting load
200 Round Nose Flat Point Alliant Red Dot 7.2 1,060

44 Special
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
200 Round Nose Flat Point Alliant Red Dot 4.5 749
Remarks: starting load
200 Round Nose Flat Point Alliant Red Dot 5.1 841
Remarks: maximum load

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The load will be shot out of a Taurus 44 and a Bisley Hunter...just a plinker load for really mean cans, balloons, and particularly annoying iron dinger. I guess it is really a .44 Special load, but will be loaded into mag cases.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The load will be shot out of a Taurus 44 and a Bisley Hunter...just a plinker load for really mean cans, balloons, and particularly annoying iron dinger. I guess it is really a .44 Special load, but will be loaded into mag cases.
One of the few times I ever experienced wide fluctuations in pressure was a combination of RD and .44 Mag. I was loading on the low end of the charge range. After a couple cylinder fulls, I noticed some primers were flattened, others, not at all.

Thinking I screwed something up, or maybe the measure had come loose, I deloaded each one with an inertia bullet puller, and checked the wt. They were all on the money. ?

I use Unique or Herco for mid range loads in the .44.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts