Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few pistols. a Tokerev, a CZ 40p and a Kimber Pro Carry. Wife has an FEG PA -63 (ppk clone) 9x18and a Buckmark 22. She is toying with us getting a carry permit. She 'says" she doesn't like shooting any of these pistols except the .22 but I really think she never shot any of mine. Don't matter. I said a polymer might be the ticket but she want it for her. Never wanted a 9mm- but only so as to drive some others nuts- have nothing really against them and figure if I buy a comfortable polymer 9mm in a mid size with interchangeable grips (we both have small hands)she could use it for practice and for the test. Then perhaps buy a carry sized to replace the FEG which she hates to shoot - even hough it is much softer with the lighter ammo and the spring changes I made. Don't matter she is just....uhh....anyway. So I have been looking. My favorite polymer is the Walther P99 and a m thinking of picking it or the SW99 version. Thought about the FN and won't dismiss it, even looked at the Beretta PX4, will peak at an XD but again, brother already has it and would like changeable grips. Os add to this list to look at what? perhaps the Ruger SR 9 which I find attractive, a Glock - (insert your model pref. here folks, an M&P, and an STI Gp 6. Prerequisite is that the slide has to be easy to operate, must be comfortable to shoot yet not heavy. Capacity is a complete non-issue. THEN - if we agree on that, I may get a carry for ...one of us....looking at the Ruger SR 9c, the Walther PPS, Glock 26 AND especially for her- a revolver of some kind and will certainly need help there. SO- no small task fellows- who is up for the challenge here? REALLY look forward to your opinions.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If the gun is going to be for her then take her to the gun shop and let her put a bunch of them in her hands. Find one that she likes and buy it. If it turns out she doesn't like it after shooting it buy her something she does like and keep that one for you. Better yet find one you know she won't like (but you do like) but convince her she does and make her think it was her idea. Seriously, take her with you and let her pick something that fits her hand and stay away from the Glock 26, its probably going to recoil more than she wants due to its small size and won't be very fun for her to shoot. I think the Ruger, Walter, M&P and several others will work for what she is wanting but she needs to make sure it feels good in her hands and she likes the trigger pull, mag release, etc.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,237 Posts
I have been carrying for 40 years and my favorite is a J frame S&W in 38 Special. Small, compact and can be carried in a pocket holster or jacket pocket. I use the hammerless 642 so it can be fired from inside a jacket pocket without jamming. I also carry a Glock 26 if I am wearing a jacket but down here where I live that is only a couple of months a year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range Junkie- sort of the plan shhhh......;-p . Jodum - how is the 38 to shoot? for carry I really want a revolver for her but if it hard to control or tough on her wrist at the range she will leave it in the drawer. similarly- how is the little Glock to shoot - shot any others that might compare to it?

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The title of your thread is:

"Looking for polymer pistols, carry, practice wife - whole story - help!"

I could tell you where to find a "practice wife" but I don't think that is appropriate for this forum! :eek:

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
what jodium said .. 38 special.. practice ,practice..shes covered..
if she wants it.. get her a speed loader an let her practice using it..
she can carry it on her or in her bag..better if she has it on her.. jmo slim
don t go cheap in this case..i recommend s&w pr ruger ..although i have no experience with the rugar..
many good things are said about them here.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,237 Posts
My little 642 is fun to shoot. I have extreme arthritis in my hands and it is not a problem for me. I usually use standard velocity ammo to practice with and carry +P ammo for business. The Glock 26 shoots good but the little S&W is just a lot easier to carry and conceal. I slip a couple of speed strips in my other pants pocket or a speed loader in my jacket pocket.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I have to tell you, I'm in somewhat of the same situation. I will say this... I tried to get my wife onto a revolver. In my experience, there are 3 types of malfunctions. a failure to feed, failure to fire, and failure to extract. With a revolver, you've eliminated 2 of the 3. Pull the trigger until it doesn't go bang anymore. However, that doesn't sit well with her. I brought her to a few shops and let het "try on" whatever she wanted. She decided on the Sig P232 (.380). All the guns she tried and fired, and that was what she felt comfortable with. I guess thats it then. Not a bad choice, and in fact, I may even carry it instead of my .40. Not sure if this helps, but my two cents anyhow. Good luck!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,161 Posts
Let her shoot the .22 as much as she wants. Remember it's different for someone who didn't grow up practicing with them, much tougher transition to heavier recoil.

Then let her pick what she wants for the next step up. She'll be more motivated to learn to handle it effectively. Within reason, of course. You don't want a lightweight .44 mag or something even a seasoned shooter couldn't manage.

I purposely didn't suggest anything. Let her see what she likes. After all having a gun fit the hands well is a good first step toward control.

Good luck.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Points To Ponder

The lighter the revo/pistol, the more effects of recoil. The shorter the bbl(snubbie ??),the more effects of recoil. The smaller the grip,the more effects of recoil. The more power(killin' or otherwise) the weapon puts out,the more effects of recoil. Frame material(steel vs polymer),the more effects of recoil.

For a carry pistol,don't give too much thought to sights. Shoot someone out beyond 7yds and your probably going to jail. Don't worry too much about power(one shot stops)produced. Always shoot the(single) threat to the ground. Don't put too much worry into conceal-ability,who cares if someone thinks you have "something" under "there".

In the shorter bbled weapons,a 9mm and a .38Special are pretty much the same as far as power produced to stop the threat. There are numerous great bullets and power levels for both. A well made simi-auto is as reliable as a revo. Especially if left pretty much stock. For something that you,your wife,or anyone else for that matter to bet your life on....don't go the cheap route. Quality is imperative. Along with that goes reliability and performance.

So......my recommendation would be a Glock 19. If weight is a really big thang,use a 10 shot mag or down load the 15 shot. I would prefer the latter. Change the connector to a the 3.5# version. Do a $.25 trigger job. You can even undercut the rear outside of the trigger guard if you wish. you can install night sights if you wish and/or install a Lasermax.(My 19 has one and I love it)

Then..........practice,practice,practice. Get confident with the weapon and shooting it to COM(only). Carry it. get confident with it. You/she will come to realize .... no one looks,no one cares. Study,understand,KNOW,the laws of your state.

Finally....be safe,carry with confidence,and remember concealed,means concealed. It is no ones business what you got "under there". -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife grew up in the city, and had no exposure to firearms in her youth. So I started her out with a .22 Highstandard. Good heavy semi auto. we went shooting several times a year, and she got very comfortable with that pistol. Then one day she wanted to shoot my Colt Combat Target. My wife is very competitive and wanted to prove that she could shoot anything I shot. I did bring some very light re-loads that day just for that reason. Since then she has shot every .45 acp I own, and she keeps going back to the Combat Target.

When it came time for her to get her own gun, we talked as to how she was going to carry the firearm, what worked best for her, what she was comfortable with etc. We went to the gun shop and let her hold different guns, and also try different carry methods. After a few hours she decided on a carry purse, and a S&W Model 60 revolver in .357.

When we shoot now she practices w/ .38 special ammo, but every session she does run a few rounds of 357 thru it.

·
Banned
166 Posts
My wife has been through a couple of handguns and thoroughly hates quite a few that I have or had. She shot a glock 19 that a friend of mine had and fell in love with it. She's had her own for the last 9 yrs and when the model 19 comes out in the generation 4, she wants that one too. She would however, take my m&p off of my hands if I would let her. Anyway, I'd avoid any type of "sub" compact especially if she is recoil sensitive. Smaller guns in general are harder to shoot. Take her to the gun shop and let her choose what she likes the best. Glock, M&P series and the steel frame Kahrs are the top models I'd recommend. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,161 Posts
Some of the really compact guns have horribly tough trigger pulls, in my experience. Not something for the novice....

·
Inactive account
325 Posts
Had a Glock sub compact 9mm (forget model #) that my wife hated!!! Said it "recoiled violently." But she likes a 4-6" .357 revolver. Decided to try a full-sized XDM .40, but she has yet to shoot it, always an excuse... I have the same concerns as you, but there is no "one size fits all" solution to this quandary.

God Bless, Ryan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
east TNHunte- perhaps a Glock 26? and that is good to know. I really want her to have a little revolver for carry- preferably a Smith & Wesson. I honestly think the little FEG is perfect (for carry) but she doesn't trust it. I want something for her to shoot at the range -and maybe something that can be next to her on a seat- not having to be conceal size so she may learn to like shooting in general. Another part of me says to by myself a nice polymer pistol -HK P30 perhaps- oooohhh, and let her shoot it, but its MINE! then if she wants a different concealed get her a revolver- or something else. In any case I just don't want to buy something she considers hers to have it sit in the drawer at home while she stays home when I go to the range.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.