Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently purchased a Marlin 1895GBL rifle, but do not care for the large loop lever.
I don't plan on using this rifle while wearing gloves, so the large loop lever is a little
awkward with bare hands.

Since the 1895GBL has a pistol grip, I need a lever from either the 1895 Classic or 450.
All the other .45-70 models have the straight grip.

I called Marlin and was told they do not have any of these levers in stock, and it could
be months before they are available.

Was wondering if anybody here might have upgraded their Marlin 1895 Classic or 450
to the large loop lever, and might have the original lever available to sell?

Marlin is also in the process of changing all the parts numbers with the transition of the
new factory location going on. The new number for this part will be F406096, but is not in
place yet.

Anyway, if anybody has an original lever for the 1895 classic or 450 pistol grip rifle......
I am interested in buying it.

Thanks.

Happy Holidays!!

update: The old/current part number for the Marlin 1895 finger lever is 501570.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might check Brownell's. They carry gun parts. You could also go over to the Marlin Owner's website, if you haven't already, and see if anybody over there has one. Somebody might have gotten an aftermarket lever from Wild West or David Clay and have their old one laying around that they'd be willing to sell you. Or, somebody might want to trade their stock one for your big'un.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check the Marlin owners forum.

Brownells has them listed as backordered. I called Marlin again today, and they said they might have the backordered parts available in January 2011.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Same as 336?

Just out of curiosity, is the Model 1895 lever different from the standard Model 336 lever? Other than the size and shape of the ejection ports, the receivers appear to be almost identical. If so, a lever from a 336RC or SC should be easier to find.

Watch yer topknot, DEL GUE,

The Old Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure if the lever for the 336 is the same as for the 1895. Don't want to take a chance and order the wrong one and then have to ship it back.

When I was on the phone (several times) with people at Marlin, they never mentioned that the 336 lever would work on the 1895. Maybe they are also out of the 336 levers as well. They were also out of the standard rear sights for the 1895 as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not sure if the lever for the 336 is the same as for the 1895. Don't want to take a chance and order the wrong one and then have to ship it back.

When I was on the phone (several times) with people at Marlin, they never mentioned that the 336 lever would work on the 1895. Maybe they are also out of the 336 levers as well. They were also out of the standard rear sights for the 1895 as well.
All I have learned, I learned at Marlin Owners. It seems that the 45-70 requires a larger relief for the big rim. It could be cut into a 336 lever, but that lever won't work without modification.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, thanks to your help. :D

I called Numrich to make sure that was the correct part and that they had them in stock.

They confirmed that was the correct part and that they do have them in stock for $58.05.

I also ordered a replacement rear leaf sight since the one that came with the rifle was broken.
Even though I am putting on XS sights, I wanted to have the originals on hand. The rear leaf
sight was $8.15.

I even received a discount code that knocked almost $5.00 off the shipping.

I called today to find out when my parts will be shipping out, and was told most likely tomorrow
(Wed). So I should have them on Monday the 27th. Maybe Friday the 24th if I am lucky.

It is nice to know that Marlin parts or aftermarket Marlin parts can be found somewhere other
than Brownells or MidwayUSA.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad things worked out for you, my friend! Rumor has it that if you look real close at the side of Santa's sleigh, you'll see that he attached a scabbard and has a Marlin of his own!!

I wonder what caliber he prefers?? (That oughta start a wicked dogfight!!) ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would think Santa probably uses the 1895CB 26" for those long shots from the sleigh on the fly. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, but I already placed my order for the lever with Numrich a few days ago.

I might be ordering an 1895SBL in the near future, so I will likely be looking for a
plain stainless lever to replace the stainless large loop lever at that time.

I will likely start a new thread when I get the SBL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts