Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have scoured the internet looking for trajectory charts comparing different caliber flight paths at certain ranges.
We use to have them in Hunters Ed years ago.
PDF, jpeg anything would be great.

Thanks

Zak

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Zak...

Just a quick note...Once upon a time I relied on these ballistic calculators to predict a flight path for a particular load for varminting with a .220 Swift.  I assumed that it would be accurate enough, and didn't bother putting the loads on paper at ranges other than the (2" high at) 100 yard zero that I prefer.  Even though I was quite comprehensive in inputting the load data, the calculator showed a bullet drop far in excess of what was actually happening, and I shot over the backs of a lot of jackrabbits that day, out past 300 yards.  My point being, there is no substitute for empirical data.  

I don't know about online data, but several of my load manuals have ballistic charts, as well as ammo manufacturers' free brochures.

Cordially,

Smith

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Guys:
    Smith is right.  I've seen a case where two bullets of different make were hitting the same place at 100 yards but were 8" apart at 300 yards.  The groups were shot at the same time. The manufacturer's data predicted a 2" difference.  To put it politely, some manufacturer's ballistic coefficients are hopelessly optimistic.  On the other hand, the numbers are adjusted to sea level and 59°F / 15°C.   Shooting on a hot day on the high plains changes things.

Robert Sherwood had an article in Handloaders Digest titled "Shoot Them and See".   Good advice.

Bye
Jack

<!--EDIT|Jack Monteith|Mar. 14 2002,12:01-->

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here is one of the best calculators on the web:
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~jbm....ic.html
It will get you close, but one still has to shoot to find where it is really going.

Over 30 years of shooting I've found that ammunition manufacturer's ballistic charts are either close or completely misrepresent their product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts