Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There...I said it. I don't handle shoulder recoil well. I think I'm a little small and on the bony side. I love big recoil in revolvers, but not the shoulder.

So...been thinking that this country of ours is headed into the dumpster and soon enough I'll have to feed me and the wife from the millions of deer that stand around in my back yard (live in the middle of 'the woods').

Throw in my wife's desire to perch behind the chimney and snipe anyone who comes onto the property and you see where I'm headed.

I'm thinking .270, 30-30, 30-06, or .308. I've only shot the .270 and I don't want to again. It poked me hard.

So here is a VERY open-ended question: which one is an all around deer/zombie/sniper rifle for a boy who doesn't want to cry every time he pulls the trigger?

I seem to recall that 200 yards is the max for deer hunting with a 30-30 but gosh darn it...I love the look of the lever action guns a lot.

The .270 I shot had a plastic stock so maybe with a heavy wooden stock it wouldn't have hurt so much?

I don't mind a heavy gun as I won't be strolling down the road with it, if that helps the recoil which I think it does.

Sooo...I know this is one of those "which one is better" questions but keep in mind I looking for people who have shot more than one of them and can say which one hurts the least :)

Sadly, I can't walk into Cabellas and say "let me shoot them please". I will probably end up buying without ever having pulled the trigger.

I know it depends on the rounds too but try to think 'general purpose' if there is such a thing in ammo land.

Thanks,

Will

·
Banned
20 Posts
30-30 in your typical Winchester 94 has pretty good recoil to me. In a Marlin it's not as bad (heavier).
The new stainless Marlin with the laminated stock and nice recoil pad (XLR?) should be pretty tame.
Even the 1895 in .45-70 seems to have less recoil to me than a Winchester 1894. (with moderate loads)
In bolts maybe a heavy gun in .260 Rem (.308 necked down) would be plenty for deer out to 200.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Will--- Appreciate your courageous honesty.

You can not judge recoil by caliber... in my most humble opinion.

Stock design and fit, and yes the recoil pad have a great deal to do with FELT recoil, as does of course the bullet weight, powder, amount.

So think in terms of this:

1) Recoil Pad -- Pachmayr or Limbsaver or _____________________
2) 7.5 - 8.0 pound minimum on the rifle itself before scope
3) 80 - 125 grains on the bullet weight

You may want to consider a 243 as well. They are deer slayers as is the 270 and 30-06. All three can also can be very straight shooting with the right bullet.

You really should shoot some other people's rifles. Where do you live? I am sure someone will offer to let you shoot. Is there a range near you?

Also, something else to consider since it sounds like you have "millions of deer" in your yard now and yet you do not hunt them. If this is going to a "survival" rifle and that means game laws may not apply you may want to consider for you AND your wife the remarkable 22 Mag (22 WMR). I have a SAVAGE Model 93 in stainless steel with bull barrel and I can shoot the eye out of a deer at 125 yards but it has no recoil. Amazing rifle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Zoar. I am assuming there would be no game wardens wandering around when the end of times comes :) If there are...well...do they taste like chicken too? Kidding...

I have a target .22 but it is lr, not mag :(

Most of the guns I have seen are in the 6lb range I am hoping for an 8 or 9 as you mentioned heavier helps with recoil.

There is an indoor range in the next town but it is handgun ammo only. I shoot my .40 rifle there but that's about it. There are some outdoor 'clubs' but I would need to be invited and I just don't know anyone who has the guns I want to play with.

I have never heard of the 243. Is the ammo plentiful? I like the 30-30, 30-06, and 308 because those rounds are everywhere around here for about 12 bucks/20.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The well respected 243 Winchester cartridge is a terrific round, shoots as straight as a laser, usually low recoil and versatile and yes many use it for deer although some contend you need a BIGGER boolit for deer although all the dead dear from this round would probably disagree...

I shoot mine out to 300 yards and I barely adjust the scope.

Yes the 243 ammo is very plentiful. More common today than the 30-30 in many places.

What I don't like about the 30-30 is it tends to drop alot. I like lasers.

I noticed you are in Michigan. Upper Penninsula? Or down state?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Not found in every corner gas station, but two potent but easy-kicking rounds are the 6.5x55 Swede and the 257 Roberts.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
zoar is right on the money with his comments about stock design. I have a Sauer 202 in 7mm Rem Mag that I load to the max with 175 grain bullets and it has very low recoil. This with a 7 pound rifle ... its the stock design.

I also found the CZ Lux model stock design to offer little recoil. The straighter American type designs bring all the felt recoil right back to the shooter. Also, the rifles that have a drop down hand grip like thumbhole stocks are good for reducing felt recoil.

Here's a few pictures for comparison.

Sauer 202

Ruger #1

Rem 700 w/thumbhole stock.

Kimber Longmaster Classic

Marlin lever gun

·
Registered
360 Posts
7mm-08 or 260 Rem. Light kicking, especially in a 7-8lb gun. Recoil pads make a big difference as well. I use a Sims pad on a few guns. They work very well, but there a few others as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wow that Sauer is BEAUTIFUL!

Good posts so far and really good info.

Renthorin---You may like the way the "lever action" looks but I think you may be far better served with a bolt and in the styles flashhole has posted for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
While, as has been suggested, felt recoil is a function of gun design as well as cartridge power, here is a relative measurement that may be useful to judge recoil.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

If you are recoil sensitive, I would suggest you avoid lever guns only because the stock design is often not good for recoil management.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
I'll agree with Rocky and second the Roberts, and 6.5x55. Both easy on the shoulder and kill on the far end......

·
Registered
70 Posts
.243 would be your best bet. It is of the .308 family just necked down, and kick is very mild, much less then the .270. But like most have said it depends on the gun, however the .243 you would have to get one light gun with a terrible design to really make the recoil hurt any. Of the calibers you named non of those are going to work inless you have an extremely heavy well designed gun to even get under the general recoil of the .270. I don't know what Michigan's hunting laws are, but you may be able to get a 22-250 as well, I know people take deer with them at ease in Texas. It really all depends on what your budget is, knowing that would be the greatest part of the battle.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
looking to buy a deer/sniper rifle...but I'm a wuss.
Best Wuss rifle I've seen was at a deer camp when a guy beside me was checking his zero - He had a Browning BAR in 243 with a BOSS recoil reducer on it!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
+ 1 for the 243. Wide range of loads. Light recoil, very accurate. Grab a stainless Savage in 243, put a nice scope on it and you are set for the Michigan woods.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There...I said it. I don't handle shoulder recoil well. I think I'm a little small and on the bony side. I love big recoil in revolvers, but not the shoulder.

So...been thinking that this country of ours is headed into the dumpster and soon enough I'll have to feed me and the wife from the millions of deer that stand around in my back yard (live in the middle of 'the woods').

Throw in my wife's desire to perch behind the chimney and snipe anyone who comes onto the property and you see where I'm headed.

I'm thinking .270, 30-30, 30-06, or .308. I've only shot the .270 and I don't want to again. It poked me hard.

So here is a VERY open-ended question: which one is an all around deer/zombie/sniper rifle for a boy who doesn't want to cry every time he pulls the trigger?

I seem to recall that 200 yards is the max for deer hunting with a 30-30 but gosh darn it...I love the look of the lever action guns a lot.

The .270 I shot had a plastic stock so maybe with a heavy wooden stock it wouldn't have hurt so much?

I don't mind a heavy gun as I won't be strolling down the road with it, if that helps the recoil which I think it does.

Sooo...I know this is one of those "which one is better" questions but keep in mind I looking for people who have shot more than one of them and can say which one hurts the least :)

Sadly, I can't walk into Cabellas and say "let me shoot them please". I will probably end up buying without ever having pulled the trigger.

I know it depends on the rounds too but try to think 'general purpose' if there is such a thing in ammo land.

Thanks,

Will
Look, im about the biggest recoil puss i know, and i shoot a 375 h&h weekly so cowboy up little partner and no more nonsence talk. You can pull the trigger on a 270 or 06 when needed.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Cartridge,

First pick would be a 260
Second pick would be a 6.5x55
Third would be 243.

Rifle,

There are at least a half dozen that would do a good job in the $1,000 price range. Just be sure to stick with a varmint of target barrel. A tactical will do the job very well also, but a lot of those are going to have the shorter barrels. I prefer no less than 22" barrel in these smaller calibers and in a rifle I plan to use for long range shooting.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not found in every corner gas station, but two potent but easy-kicking rounds are the 6.5x55 Swede and the 257 Roberts.
A big 1+ for the Swede and Roberts! ...If you can find a rifle so chambered. If, however, you want a larger selection of rifles to choose from and to be able to find ammo just about anywhere, go with a .243

Also, you don't have to avoid lightweight rifles with plastic stocks, which usually have pretty good recoil pads, by the way. They can still have a bit of snap to them which you'll feel through your cheek bone as it rests on the stock, but you can usually pack the hollow buttstock with some non-hardning modeling clay to give it a bit more heft thereby softening the recoil a bit more.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
What Winbag said!

Thing is, if you're hungry enough, or scared that you or your loved ones will be hurt by bad guys, you won't give a tinker's **** about recoil; you'll want a quality gun, chambered in a cartridge that will put a stop to things. I've helped quite a few people get started into the shooting sports and very few of them, including my 13 year-old daughter, cannot be conditioned to tolerate the recoil of a 270 or a 308, both of which are better choices for a deer/sniper rifle than the 243 Win.

Put a recoil pad on it and shoot a man's rifle...bruises are one of the ways you know you shot something. ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Best Wuss rifle I've seen was at a deer camp when a guy beside me was checking his zero - He had a Browning BAR in 243 with a BOSS recoil reducer on it!!!
That is a fact. The BARs with the BOSS systems are very soft shooting and quite accurate. I have one in 270 that belonged to my dad. It kicks about like a 223 or a 243 with a mild load. I was amazed the first time I shot it. A Browning A bolt in 243 with the BOSS would be a real pussycat too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies gents :)

I agree that when push comes to push back (I don't like to shove) I will pull any trigger I can. I love a big punch once and a great while but not every time. My buddies all cringe when I shoot my .44 one handed but that's a different story.

Another thing I am considering is cost of ammo. I'm a firm believer that any gun I own needs to be fired a few hundred times before I say "yeah, I know how it behaves." That being said, there is quite a cost difference between say the 6.5x55 and the 308, at least what I am seeing on ammoengine.com. Haven't been to the local store yet to see what they charge on the shelf. I plan to stock up on a thousand rounds at least, so round cost is a factor.

Zoar, I'm in the Ann Arbor area of the LP. I do most of my shooting up near Roscommon and Mio as people around home get excited when they hear gunshots from my back yard :(

I had never thought of packing the hollow plastic stock with clay. That's a good idea actually, to add some weight to a gun.

I am really enjoying all your responses so thank you again.

Will

1 - 20 of 106 Posts