Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Winchester M70, 30.06. I cannot decide between the Featherweight, Classic, or Super Grade. I know price will be the ultimate decision-maker in that I only have between 600.00 to 900.00 to spend. What do y'all recommend in a rifle that won't need too many adjustments to be ready to hunt?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I have a 90s circa .30-06 in featherweight. Nice rifle. I was at a big dealer store today and the owner was saying he thought the new steel coming out of the South Carolina plant was the best Winchester ever produced. The standard sporters were going for around $750. Just make sure you get the controlled feed and not the coyote push feed stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
I'd be surprised if there are many USRAC mod 70's floating around out there, but I'm sure there's a few from people looking to make a few bucks.

A look at the Winchester website (FN rifles) shows supergrade MSRP's at $1150-1180 or so. Doubt you'll get below $900 in real world pricing for the supergrade as I've seen the std and featherweight rifles in the $800-850 arena.

Always wish I'd picked up a supergrade over the last 15 years when I could have. I sure like the featherweights though. Pick them up and see how they all feel and go from there!

·
Banned
604 Posts
Bought a M70 back in the late 80's, 7mm Remington Magnum though, not a .30-06. I bought the Sporter. It's one of the Push Feed models. Most accurate rifle I've ever owned. With it I've taken deer, elk and moose ... and a couple of partridge (with head shots no less). I can't fault the rifle at all. Right out of the box, after installing an old Redfield 3-9X and sighting it in, my first three shot group was 5/16" at 100 yards. So lets not downplay or denigrate the pushfeeds. I also have a couple M70 controlled feed models. No faults there either. Just remember, Rem 700's and Weatherby MkV's are push feed too. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would agree with the supergrade if you can afford it, but then you'll worry about scratching it up in the field? I guess if truth be told I worry over scratching up all my weapons in the field. I have always really liked the Model 70 so find one you like and go for it.

·
Banned
101 Posts
They cant match a recoil pad to the back of the stock for poop yet. Even on the Super Grade. Don't get to hung up on CRF, it ain't the be all end all. It's a left over post-64s-are-nothing-but-crap whinefest....

Evidently there is a extreme weather job that seems to only appear in the catalog.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
I still have my mid-70's-era Mod 70 XTR 25-06 in (shudder!) push-feed and it's still one of my favorites. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up in decent shape if you can find one, and for a lot less than $600, although that didn't seem to be where the question was headed.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Get the cheap one and spend the extra on nice glass! You can hand polish the stock with some 6000 grit and get the same finish as the super grade for whatever it costs to buy the abrasive.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
I have an 80's push feed .30-06 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Good rifles.

Six thousand grit, Matt? That could take a while!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
It sure looks perty though Mike, you'd be amazed what walnut can reveal if you massage it. Actually you probably do know what it looks like. :)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
It sure looks perty though Mike, you'd be amazed what walnut can reveal if you massage it. Actually you probably do know what it looks like. :)
I find it best to start low. Depending on the wood (or metal) you are polishing. Gently start with 400 grit, then 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Believe it or not, I don't hate wood stocks ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts

I am looking to buy a Winchester M70, 30.06. I cannot decide between the Featherweight, Classic, or Super Grade. I know price will be the ultimate decision-maker in that I only have between 600.00 to 900.00 to spend. What do y'all recommend in a rifle that won't need too many adjustments to be ready to hunt?

Couple of things ,does that 600/900 include scope/ if so Remington 700 sps or marlin xl7 are good value. If you dont know much about rifles ? secondhand might not be good, also 3006 in featherweight will kick.good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the input. I am headed out to Cabela's in Buda TX today to go take a look. I might stop in at a large Wal-mart just to see what's available. I am definitely looking for a wood stock and not synthetic (according to other threads) It looks like the FTW may give me the best bang for my buck. Oh, yeah,,,, I've been hunting with a pre 64 M70 FTW so I know about the kick...I just want one of my own...LOL Anyway, If anyone has other suggestions...........keep 'em coming!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I find it best to start low. Depending on the wood (or metal) you are polishing. Gently start with 400 grit, then 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Believe it or not, I don't hate wood stocks ;)

If your surface is already smooth, you don't want to remove a lot of material. 2000-6000 grit will put a serious shine on any good hardwood, and a poly sealer will preserve it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Bought a M70 back in the late 80's, 7mm Remington Magnum though, not a .30-06. I bought the Sporter. It's one of the Push Feed models. Most accurate rifle I've ever owned. With it I've taken deer, elk and moose ... and a couple of partridge (with head shots no less). I can't fault the rifle at all. Right out of the box, after installing an old Redfield 3-9X and sighting it in, my first three shot group was 5/16" at 100 yards. So lets not downplay or denigrate the pushfeeds. I also have a couple M70 controlled feed models. No faults there either. Just remember, Rem 700's and Weatherby MkV's are push feed too. :D
No doubt, so if you want a push feed, buy a Remington or Weatherby (I have owned both brands...fine guns). But if you want a Model 70, get the genuine article (control feed / 3 pos safety)! It is not the standard on which all other sporting rifles are judged by accident.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What are you going to do with it? If it were a hunting gun, I'd shy away from the super grade. I slipped, fell and knocked a huge piece of wood off the schnabel on one of my featherweights this fall. Felt terrible. Would have been worse if it were a higher grade stock!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
What are you going to do with it? If it were a hunting gun, I'd shy away from the super grade. I slipped, fell and knocked a huge piece of wood off the schnabel on one of my featherweights this fall. Felt terrible. Would have been worse if it were a higher grade stock!
Ditto that. I had a sling fastener come loose once while climbing a high stand with my featherweight. The whole works came crashing down. The scope took the worst of it. Thank god the barrel was not hurt. The stock was scratched up, but not to the point that sanding and refinishing wouldn't cure it. I have put a few more scratches on it since though. A Super Grade in not really for hunting (unless you are rich;-)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
What if I was twice as crazy as you a quarter of the time?

Nice gun, I am jealous. I had both of my wood M-70s pillar/glass bedded. I wish they would just do that in the factory standard and be done with it. Even for $150 more, it would be worth it. The T/C Icons do have the pillars and are nice wood I'm told. I also like the integral scope base. They tried to pull a Winchester and run themselves away from business by not offering a .30-06 and .270 at first. (USRAC fell hard on their WSM sword as someone already pointed out.) The marketing mirage T/C they tried to pull with the .30TC is laughable. It is interesting how those guns are $100 to $200 cheaper now than the standard cals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts