Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a complete newbie when it comes to any and all things long range related. However, that being said I would like to give F-TR competitions a try. I have guns and hunt so I am not new to shooting, but when it comes to long range I am for the most part clueless. I don't have a large budget (around $1500-$2000 including scope) so the gun has to be on the cheap end. A few options I have noticed for my budget would be the Savage 12 F-TR. Although I'd prefer a rifle that is not a single action. Another option I saw was the Browning X-Bolt Eclipse Target Rifle. I have seen little to no information regarding this being able to shoot well at 1000 yards. Also, what barrel lengths can you use efficiently at 1000 yards? Finally, would it be possible to get started in this shooting class without reloading my own ammo (don't have the time, money, or space right now). Any and all help is very much appreciated.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Welcome, I am going to move this to the Rifles and Rifle cartridges forum where you might get more focused replies.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I think you need to find a mentor. I'd love to "taste" the disciplines myself, but would not consider just throwing money at it.

Could mount and zero a scope "backwards" on a 22 RF just to see how bad you want it.

It sure would be fun to try that once (or twice).

Cheezywan

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Welcome.
Sounds like you should be looking for some ones 'selling to fund the next project rifle.
I cant see you getting the desired acuracy from factory amo no matter how much you spend on a gun unless you were lucky enough to pick up a rifle the just happened to like a certain round.
For your budjet you could easily pick up a used target rifle that has a heap of hours put in to it . A fixed power target scope and to make the whole excursion viable and more importantly fun , buy for next to nothing a Lee loader ( whack-a-mole) loader.
That way you dont need any room and you can tailor your amo to your gun.
You can literly go down the range with a couple of cases , cup full of powder , packet of primers , a baggy of projectiles and spend the day shooting 1000 mtrs.
30-06 springfield would be the cheapest and easiest i think as bits are dirt cheap , cases you could get for free , projectiles are rediculasly comon and its not the flavour of the month which brings the price down.
The world record shooter used a whack-a-mole for years.
The hardest part i think money wise is seing the bullet holes in the target and that can be achieved by iphone 4's face time ability.
I have an iphone 5s for work on a unlimited plan so i baught a iphone 4 for $20 now i just need a charger and i am good to go, i can simply dial up the iphone 4 on face time with its camera on the target .
Just need a big rock so i dont shoot it.
I'v got two big sheets of white laminated chipboard i am going to nail side by side on a rail with leaning board to hold it up for a target back drop and i will paint a bull in the middle to shoot at.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Never thought of using the FaceTime. Haha. Great idea! I'll just use one of the kids phones when they are on my shyt list and if it gets shot....oops

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I will look into getting a lee loader. Also, I think I'm pretty much dead set on a .308. Mainly for the reason I will be able to shoot in F-TR (.223 or .308 I believe is what you need?) As for a gun, I have looked around for a used custom gun but have not found any that meet my requirements in my area. I am leaning towards the X-Bolt Eclipse Target rifle and a sightron sii 8-32x56 LRTD. Although it still worries me I am finding next to no information on the gun online. It has a 28 inch barrel and a 1:10. Finally, once I get everything and get it set up would I be able to get a feel for it at 500 yards? (the closest 1000 yard range to me is 1 hour away, but I have a 500 yard range just a few miles away.)

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Finally, once I get everything and get it set up, would I be able to get a feel for it at 500 yards? The closest 1000-yard range to me is 1 hour away, but I have a 500-yard range just a few miles away.
If I had a 500-yard range so close, I'd concentrate on that. Sure, it's not as long but the accuracy you need to do well is still there. I'd rather see a tight group from 500 yards than what looks like the top of a salt shaker at 1000 yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts