Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a savage 110fp in .300 win mag for hunting everything from white tialed deer to the few larger game species I have available in my state. I have shot it for years and I love the ability of the cartridge to reach out to great distances and still have the power to dependably knock down deer sized game. However I'm not the worlds biggest guy and that .300 can get punishing after awhile. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a less punishing caliber that will still allow me to have the long range capability and knock down power to do the job? I've been searching for quite awhile and just can't seem to find a good compromise.

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

I would do what the target shooters have done and look at 6.5's. The 6.5-284 with 142 grain MatchKings keeps up with .300 Win Mag accuracy and wind drift at 1000 yards. The 6.5-284's recoil is about like a .308.

Different 6.5 cartridges from 6.5x55 and up are thought by many to fire ideal deer bullets. Lots of sectional density for their weight with attendant deep penetration (the bullets tend to be long) and not so wide that it destroys excessive amounts of meat. The only drawback to the 6.5-284 is it erodes barrels quickly. If you convert your 110, though (bolt head and barrel swap) it won't be hard to replace barrels. Get a wrench and a set of wood vice blocks for it at Sharp Shooter Supply. The case width and round length are similar enough to the .300 Win Mag that I doubt you'll need any magazine modification. You can call Savage to double-check? Could be a cheap changeover. $20 for the bolt head at Midway and maybe $100 for a cheap barrel or $300 for a good one. Either way, cheaper than a new rifle if you like the feel of the Savage?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Welcome to the site. The 300 WM is a great cartridge, but if the recoil is more than you are looking for, there are many options that will work well with less recoil. You didn't say what state you are in or what larger game and ranges you are talking of but some possibilities are the 30-06 and it's siblings (280 Rem, 270 Win, 25-06 Rem) are all excellent choices and I don't think any, esp the 280 and down will should be tolerable to all but the most recoil sensitive. Other good options are the 308 Win and some of it's siblings (esp the 7-08 or 260 Rem). If you don't load, ammo availibility could be a factor in your choice as will rifles offered in them. You should be able to find just about anything you like in the '06, 270, 25-06, 308 and 7-08. Obviously some members will suggest other good choices but between those, they should be a good place to start.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The barrel change is a great idea. You could probably find a factory take off barrel chambered for something more shoulder friendly for a very reasonable price or even maybe a swap of your barrel.

For me, the .270 has been a great choice and will carry far and hit hard with 140 grain bullets. Recoil is not punishing at all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why not just make reduced loads for your 300 Win. mag? For example, a 180gr bullet can be loaded from 2500fps to up to 3000fps according to the 7th edition of the Hornady Handbook.

For less recoil you could use lighter bullets. I sure love my 300 Win. mag., it's a handloader's dream. :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
25/06-shoots like stretched string or a 6.5/06.contray to what you here,i persnonally believe any necked down 06 case is a good choice as a flat shooting hunting round. if you want something more modern,than i would have to agree that a 6.5/284 is the ducks nuts.--depends how many dollars you want to spend. some small cal f class calibers may interest you as well.--me --the 25/06.-good luck.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
4Fifty8 is onto somethng there.
Why not load 150 grain bullets at lower velocities? Less bullet weight, lighter powder charge, lower velocity all mean less recoil.

The next thing Id ask is does your 110 still wear the original factory stock?
The factory 110 stock is a shoulder buster for a lot of people as it is not a good fit. A good aftermarket stock in a shape that fits you better can do wonders for felt recoil.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I am currently using a savage 110fp in .300 win mag for hunting everything from white tialed deer to the few larger game species I have available in my state. I have shot it for years and I love the ability of the cartridge to reach out to great distances and still have the power to dependably knock down deer sized game. However I'm not the worlds biggest guy and that .300 can get punishing after awhile. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a less punishing caliber that will still allow me to have the long range capability and knock down power to do the job? I've been searching for quite awhile and just can't seem to find a good compromise.

Have a brake installed and then enjoy a ***** cat in the rcoil department

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It's always good to buy another gun, and I say the 6.5-06 with a stoutly loaded 140 grainer is near-perfect for anything up to, and including elk. Low recoil and excellent penetration, plus pretty flat shooting.

·
Registered
436 Posts
.25-06 or .257 Weatherby both shoot flatter and have very nild recoil. They will kill anything but the big bears with ease all while being accurate. The only other recommendation would be either .270 WSM, or .270 Weatherby Mag.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

I would do what the target shooters have done and look at 6.5's. The 6.5-284 with 142 grain MatchKings keeps up with .300 Win Mag accuracy and wind drift at 1000 yards. The 6.5-284's recoil is about like a .308.

Different 6.5 cartridges from 6.5x55 and up are thought by many to fire ideal deer bullets. Lots of sectional density for their weight with attendant deep penetration (the bullets tend to be long) and not so wide that it destroys excessive amounts of meat. The only drawback to the 6.5-284 is it erodes barrels quickly. If you convert your 110, though (bolt head and barrel swap) it won't be hard to replace barrels. Get a wrench and a set of wood vice blocks for it at Sharp Shooter Supply. The case width and round length are similar enough to the .300 Win Mag that I doubt you'll need any magazine modification. You can call Savage to double-check? Could be a cheap changeover. $20 for the bolt head at Midway and maybe $100 for a cheap barrel or $300 for a good one. Either way, cheaper than a new rifle if you like the feel of the Savage?
+1 !! I have a 6.5 Rem mag, a ballistic twin to the 6.5/.284. I have a .308 in the exact same type rifle (Rem 673) and the 6.5 RM recoils the same as already mentioned above. Either one is a very flat shooting and hard hitting caliber and should suit your needs very well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here is a load you might try for your 300 win:

-- Bullet: 150gr Hornady Interbond OR 150gr Hornady GMX all copper. They are actually interchangeable as per Hornady
-- Powder: IMR 8208 XBR -- Start load 57gr for 2987 fps. --- Max load 61.5gr for 3156 fps.

If you start at the beginning load you should find recoil pretty mild. There are usually 2 accuracy nodes, one down on the low end, and another near or at the top of the power range. Find the low end accuracy node and simply smile.

Also you can add a Limbsaver if you have not already. Another possibility is a JP Enterprises Muzzle Brake. Hey, a 300 win is LOUD anyways! Add all of these tips up and you could have a VERY sweet shooting 300 win mag, and you could still load it up hot and stout if you ever had a need arise.

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
.270 WBY Magnum fills your needs perfectly. You can push a 130 grain bullet 3400+ Fps, and 150 gr bullets 3200+ Fps. With the 130 gr bullet your only 7.9 inches low at 400 yards, with around 2000 ft lbs of energy. Recoil will also be greatly reduced from the .300, with better trajectory, with the down range energy the .25's cannot compete with.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I concur with the others who recommended the various 6.5's. Actually Ruger is chambering the Hawkeye in .264 Win Mag at the moment, although that may be more recoil than you want.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Or, go even lower on the 6.5 pole, get a 260 Remington and have enough gun for everything up to elk, if you're a little selective about what shots you'll take.

Anyone but me notice the OP seems to have disappeared?

·
Registered
436 Posts
.257 Weatherby Mag. .264 Win. Mag. .270 WSM. .270 Weatherby Mag. All VERY effective and far reaching with varying amounts, but all less, recoil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts