Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pre-64 M70 Winchester followed me home from deer camp:

SN shows it was made in 1941. Rumor has it, that it was customized in the late 70s - Professionally parkerized and restocked. So its not a collector, but neither am I! I'm going to use it. Functions great, good trigger and its a shooter! First 3 groups at 100 when 9/16", 5/16" and 13/16" w/ factory ammo.

I need to update my insurance - Anyone care to guess a replacement cost?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Man oh man what a nice looking rifle. It is amazing how such beautiful guns take a liking to guys like us and follow us home. Treat her with TLC.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,117 Posts
Good job Ray. Two thumbs up!!!!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
If something that beautiful follows you home, you DEFINITELY get to keep her! :D

Man, the wood on that thing...superb! Would I be out of line to ask how many pictures of Ben you had to show her to get her to follow you all the way home?

I wouldn't know where to begin on a replacement cost...$2,000 ?

P.S. I don't like the giant bell on that scope, though.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I don't think replacement cost is that high... its not original so the main value is in the pre war action. $800 is probably all it is worth.

Gorgeous stock though, that has a lot of character.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
jm, I agree!

But that's the only extra scope I had around - Just stuck it on to see if she would shoot.
Yeah, I've been in that situation a bunch of times...glad to hear someone didn't put that 50mm objective on there, thinking it was a good long-term choice! Then again, with groups that good, it must be a nice quality scope, huh? :)

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Very nice Ray! Beautiful piece of wood on that. Don't know what you paid for it, but it doesn't matter. That will be a pleasure to hunt with - and accurate-to-boot - and to pull out and look at whenever you want!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't have extra money and I am a .25 cal. man. However I am not a fool and I love guns. I could give a crap about pre '64 Winchesters myself. My interest is in the sheer beauty of that rifle and the fact that it is chambered in a classic and very capable cartridge suitable for about anything. Add in the fact that it shoots and also the fact that it is as beautiful as any man's chosen woman and you have done well at whatever price. I'd give $800 for the wood alone!

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've been in that situation a bunch of times...glad to hear someone didn't put that 50mm objective on there, thinking it was a good long-term choice! Then again, with groups that good, it must be a nice quality scope, huh? :)

jm,

I'm getting all kinds of "help" and suggestions from gun guys at work regarding scoping this rifle. Their suggestions run the gambit from a period dated 1" 3x9x40 Redfield to a 30mm 6.5x20x50 mil-dot Tactical! And most everything in between but with no consensus what so ever.

Since you were the first to catch and mention the scope -Tell me what you think - What you would do or how you would go deciding?

I plan on keeping it, using it for deer and handing it down to famliy one day that's far down the road - So I'm willing to put some $$$.$$ into a new scope. The scope base is a one piece Redfield that's been parkerized with the rest of the rifle - So it stays. Now, that temp scope isn't as bad in person as the pic makes it look - Its not a 50 its 44 down close but not touching. I also had some Leupold rings to set it up. So I maded do - But I noticed the same thing you did.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
some folks call that wood "Tiger Stripe" ... it's actually called "FiddleBack" by most, many years ago, they used it for just that, the sounding boards of Violins, the Back ..... hence Fiddleback. I have a piece on my 1917 Enfield 0-6 . it is prized not only for it's beauty, but because it does not move or "crawl" like most gunstock woods. in 40 years of having it on my 0-6, the rifle very seldom needed more than a clik or two year to year come huntin' season, and most years, didn't need any at all, it just don't move. If you look straight down from the top of the barrell channel to the bottom, you will see the grain looks like figure 8's. it CAN'T move. not only is it dense, but the grain is tied in knots. really good stuff. VERY nice rifle. the wood is three times more valuable than the steel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts