Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently bought a long lee enfield in 303 calibre but it does not like shooting the normal 303 bullets.
I was given a dealers details who makes the 215gr Roundnose similar to the ones originally used. HOWEVER after full resizing the csase find most can be turned or pushed into the case mouth when seated.
I am using a LEE Press and brand new lee Deluxe dies. The cases were used in another gun hence the full resizing but for some reason they wont hold but any other bullets sit fine. I have managed to get aroun d 20 which sem fine but lucky I had a pullet puller or it would have been a costly exercise.
For the life of me I cant see what is going wrong, i have measured the 215gr and 174gr sierra pointed ones and are the same. can too little or too much lube make a difference? as well
any help very much appreciated
douglass
P.S i am based in the UK and see Midwayuk have run out of 215gr heads so anyone with a few to spare I will gladly buy them.
P.S the ones I am using have a cannelure and the midway ones dont, dont suppose this would make any diference

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got .308 bullets and a .310 expander. The 303 British shoots .311 bullets, not .308.

You might need to slug your barrel to get the exact diameter for your gun and then (most likely) buy .311 bullets. Some folks will buy .308 bullets and use a smaller expander, but that doesn't usually give the greatest accuracy in the 303, 7.62x54R or the 7.7 Jap rounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
loose bullets

Hi there,
thanks for that,
tried again with 13 cases 6 were ok but the others loose.
measured the bullets and the 214 and 174gr seem to be the same although not digital calipers.
regards
douglas
P.S tried to slug the bore but didnt get a true measurement as lead weights overhere are either tooo big or small but will keep looking
also tried cerrosafe which almost made the gun a deact!!!!!!

·
Banned
397 Posts
Buy a box of .303 British jacketed bullets. They will be the
right size for the good old .303. Use them to compare
the cast bullets and/or slugging the bore.

Zeke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts