Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S&W 686 with a 4 inch barrel.  I bought it used about 8 or 9 years ago, and have put a few thousand rounds through it.  I still shoots fine at defense ranges, which is all I'm concerned with.  However, the cylinder has gotten a little loose.  With the hammer cocked or uncocked, it can be wiggled a little from side to side and up and down, enough so that I can see the front edges of the cylinders if I look down the barrel (yes, with it unloaded!)

I'm getting lead deposits around the chambers, on the cylinder face, as well as on the end of the barrel near the cylinder.  It seems to me that the bullets must be scraping a bit as they enter the forcing cone.  Does this sound like what may be happening?  

I'd like to get it tightened up.  I hear Dave Clements is a good pistolsmith.  Should I have it taken care of?  I just got my wife to going to the range with me some to shoot it, so I'm a little more concerned about it being safe.

Thanks for any advice.

Ray

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also agree you need to have it tightened up; ASAP you don’t want to get spit at by the scrapings as the gases expel the excessive cylinder gap.   Some one might actually drop the gun when fired due to the shock of being hit in the hand. Leaving the victim defenseless. And if enough material is being scraped off it will draw blood.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.  I'll probably have it looked at by Mr. Clements when I can afford the work.

Thanks again,

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts