Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I recently picked up a Winchester 70 (Winchester Ranger, actually) and since it's a used rifle I carefully removed the barreled action from the stock to inspect it and see if anything needed to be done. I felt a lot of grit in the bolt release lever and since I couldn't reach deep into the narrow slot, I went ahead and removed the trigger in order to remove the bolt release lever and clean it up.

Anyways, after re-installing the trigger, release lever, and tension spring, there is a lot of slop in the release lever and trigger. I've removed it and tried re-installing everything again with the same results. I think I may have to try it again and make sure I get the release lever bearing on the thicker step near the head of the pin, but every time I have re-installed everything the pin is fully seated against the release lever.

I honestly can't remember if there was that much movement in the trigger prior to doing this but it definitely feels different now. It does lock up tight when the bolt is cocked and safety off, but the release lever is still loose. I did adjust the trigger and get the weight down to about 2 1/2 lbs. and since the trigger spring isn't compressed much while in operation, I might move the two nuts that control the trigger weight back to where they were and try redoing everything.

Is this a common problem? Have I either inadvertently messed something up or is this a matter of re-installing the trigger and lever and making certain everything is where it needs to be with regards to the pin? Can I shim it?

Thanks.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,670 Posts
Hmmm. I have a push feed model 70 and I'm having trouble understanding some of what you wrote (sorry). Are you asking if the bolt release is affected by the trigger pull? I don't believe there is any physical connection between the two.

The pull weight is adjusted by the two nuts, as you mention, so yes you could put it back. But if you cleaned gunk out of the bolt release, then you'd have to get the gunk back in it to make that feel the same ;) right?

If I am not understanding you then please let me know. As an FYI, the bolt release on my model 70 is quite light. If I need to pull it out of the stock, I will, but I think these two systems are separate .....

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mike, I don't think we're on the same page (but thanks for the reply).

I'm currently posting away from my home, but once I'm back I think I'll simply make a little video so you can see what exactly I'm talking about.

It's not an issue of the trigger pull... everything is simply sloppy and loose all of a sudden. As ridiculous as it sounds, maybe it was the old grit and dirt stuck between the receiver and release lever keeping it tight. Yes- there is no relationship between the trigger pull and the release lever. They are completely separate systems, except for the single pin that connects both to the receiver. It was when I removed that pin that both the trigger and lever got loose, so it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ranger Trigger

I just picked up a Model 70 "Ranger" as well and found the same looseness with the parts you are talking about. It does seem a little odd but does not seem to affect the function of the bolt release and definitely not the trigger. I am in the process of bedding my action into the stock as it appears that the action in not native to this stock. If anyone has a bedded Model 70 that they could posts photos of it would help me immensely. I've never bedded a model 70 and I'm finding conflicting information depending on which forum I go to. Here is where I am now in the process.

Model 70 Bedding

GD

·
Banned
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I stopped by the Cabela's in Omaha, NE today (was a perfect pit stop on a long drive) and checked out another post-64 M70. The bolt release was as sloppy as mine and the trigger too. It was a newer Super Express rifle too.

Could shimming it harm anything? I can't see how it could and I'm considering it. I just can't stand things being unnecessarily loose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you dismantle the action and look at how they have attached the spring for the bolt release you can see why it is so loose. the bolt release is thin stamped metal and the pin is small diameter. If the bolt release where drilled with a smaller hole it would be tighter. Shimming might help but its not conducive to it.

GD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts