Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until recently I've never been a big primer counter, but as of late with Small Rifle Primers being what they are I'm sure I get the most out of what I have. Even today, if I drop a LR or Shotgun primer, I'm as likely to wait to sweep up the garage floor and if I find any....great, if not, oh well. Well today, I'm priming up about 80 204 Ruger with some #4 CCI BR and SR Magnum primers and out of the blue lost one in my grey carpet. Dammit!!

I recorded a bunch of 9-11 shows a couple of days ago and was watching them as TS Nicolas throws his rain at us. I had one SR BR primer flip out of my Lee Hand Primer and have searched for a good bit of 20 minutes looking for it....no luck. At $11.99/100, I really want to find that primer. lol

Don't want to wait to blow up a vacuum like Jack did, or worse have my wife blow one up. I'll bring in a magnet in the morning when I have better light and hope for the best I guess.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I dropped a couple of Sm pistol primers this morning. Only took about 5 min on my hands and knees crawling around like an infant.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
The floor under my bench is littered with live primers, a year ago I'd have never considered sweeping them up and trying to deduce what they are by looking at the color coded filling, I'm thinking about it now.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Assume Gunsmith Position Number One. It's a familiar place.
A hint. Have a strong flashlight in your hand. Oblique light will show the primer in relief and direct light will make it shine.
I've moved out of a couple gunshops. ...so THAT'S where that went!!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,884 Posts
If the goodly some of $0.119 is worth spending 20 minutes on your hands and knees, may I suggest you start by looking under your couch cushions instead.

Unless you are using a very old Rainbow or other metal vacuum, which still sends all material through the fan; vacuums don't blow-up.
I've been cleaning up primers with phantom or Dyson cyclonic vacuums for a good long time.

Cheers

Reactions: jimboro and nsb

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
The little anvil is normally magnetic steel....but it's tiny. Need one of those really strong magnets (like they use for "magnet fishing").

Wife will find it with the vacuum.... and then I'm really in for it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I kind of like how the Lee Turret presses store the spent primers inside the case body. Sometimes I feel like removing the press and cleaning out the old primers. When I do this there are usually somewhere around 5000 primers in there with maybe 5 live ones. Usually the shop vac gets em all!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Spent primers on a hardwood floor are barefoot night mares. The first RCBS presses had a cast aluminum tray to 'catch' spent primers. You had to supply your own rubber band to keep in place....which it didn't. Then the little ears got broken off so a hole had to be drilled to wire it in place.
A Mc Donald's drinking straw section will press fit into the slot in the ram and at least aim the primers in a consistent direction to maybe be caught by something else. Some use a pill bottle strapped to the front column to catch the spent ones. Murphy makes sure whatever they're caught in ---spills at some point.
I mounted my P-W progressive shotshell press in a baking pan to catch what gravity scatters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a neutral area rug on my office/workroom floor. If I hear a primer clink, it's on the wood floor past the carpet. If no clink, it's still on the carpet. Either way, a very bright LED flashlight on an oblique angle usually finds every one. But at my age I hate being on my hands and knees under my loading bench. (n)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
when i drop the primer(nope!!! not me!!!!! no sir. woops!!!!!!!) its going to hardwood floor. the primer is easily picked up until it rolls under the desk/shelf. then i use a broom.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Anytime I drop a primer it always hits my foot first so it can shoot of in some werd direction. . And just like Jesus I'll leave the 999 on the bench just to go in serch of the one .. then rejoice when I find it ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a plastic sheet on the floor...stops all sorts of small parts and protects the floor from stains from the powder and your drink of choice...............

·
Registered
29 Posts
I save ALL my spent primers. I have a small neck glass jar that is nearly full. It's worth $86.00 now in scrap value. I also have a bout 300 mixed primers from odds and ends from pulling down gift ammo that who knows what was loaded in them. Saved them for emergency if fecal matter his the fan.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Anytime I drop a primer it always hits my foot first so it can shoot of in some weird direction. . And just like Jesus I'll leave the 999 on the bench just to go in search of the one… then rejoice when I find it…
…and then bump the tray of 99 still on the bench while trying to stand up again, and thus dump all of them on the floor, too!

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 20 of 22 Posts