Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
738 Posts
Sad, very sad.
But I can relate. I lost my father to divorce when I was 7. Mom never remaried so I never had a father figure in my life.
I've only been hunting a couple times, and I buy my fish at the store.
But if I were to find the right place and people, I'd learn quick.

Sad............

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
This is a tragedy. I certainly does not help, depending on your agenda, that children are indoctrinated at school to believe that anyone who uses a firearm, or kills an animal of any kind, are truly evil persons. The fewer people that participate in theses activities, the greater the chance that they will cease to be legal activities.

·
Banned
65 Posts
My dad and mom divorced when I was a baby and my mom remarried a "city boy" who wanted nothing to do with the outdoors. Thank God for my grandfather. He took me hunting and fishing from the time I could walk.

I take my kids (8 & 9) shooting, hunting, hiking, camping or fishing every chance we get. They are happy, well adjusted and do very good in school and everybody comments on how well behaved they are (can you tell I'm proud of 'em). A big part of it, I think, is that they get out in the mountains and desert as much as they do.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
J Miller, at least you've made the effort to go hunting, that is what is important, keep it up! Even if it's just getting out once a year.

Get down to Texas sometime and go on Hog Safari.... a real good time!

Then we all need to work on taking other 'city folks' hunting, or at least to the range so they don't think everyone with guns is a nutcase.

If you're the only hunter in the family, not only take your own kids, but nieces/nephews/cousins etc. if possible.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
My daughter is now 8 and I've started her with the .22s. At first a single shot bolt rifle, then a tube feed Winnie lever. Once she figured out how to align the sights, I can't stop her!!!:)

We are on to a Ruger single six now, one round at a time at 10 yards. Again, she can't get enough!

My family and I every summer go camping, and she is becoming quite a fisher also. Me, I can't cast a fly line, but I started her on a open face-ultralight set up that my father gave me.

The outdoors, conservation and respect for both is an important part of growing up in my book!:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My nephew has no father. He has two "mothers". I take him fishing and hunting and he enjoys it. It is fine with his Moms but his friends do not approve. When we went to a Jr. High ball game he asked me not to mention hunting because the other kids think that it is evil. Really sad.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hunting is evil and un-natural. Having two mom's is good and normal.

"Hey, where are we going and what are we doing in this handbasket?"

Sheesh.

I wish I could report that The Great Land is devoid of that kind of mentality but my experience in the Early Childhood Development center where my wife works has deflated that thought.

I saw a lady panic and run out the door yelling "Gun, Gun" because two little tykes were shooting bad guys with their fingers. I got scourned for laughing at her. Good thing she did not look in my truck!

Scotty

·
Banned
63 Posts
"When you see these things (such as we are witnessing all around us today) hold your heads high, because your ransom is near".

We are being pushed toward the edge, at a more rapid pace every day. The 'Creator' has said that He "will not be mocked"; and I think He will do some 'sorting out' of us all very soon. Doesn't it make sense that this foolishness will soon be stopped so that His "intelligent design", as some now call it, can continue to flourish and give Him glory?

Our children will yet, I believe, witness a resurrection of decent, common-sense values. It will unfortunately come on the 'other side' of a serious cataclysm, however.

The blue skies and water of this planet will yet be renewed, and we will see a new day on this earth. Respect and honor will flourish once again. Don't give up!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I can only hope and have faith that you are correct Safety. I'm new to parenting, but be assured that my boy will know nature and the Creator of it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have three boys all in their 30's, the oldest thinks he's the great white "Bawana", when it comes to hunting and fishing, I told him he was in about the same class as Marlin Perkins. The next oldest has a highly polished chrome .25 that he thinks is a great gun, I told him it looked like a Pimp gun, the younger of the three is in the Coast Guard and his wife will not allow a gun in the house. My Step-Daughter lives about 45 min from me in a cabin in the woods with her Husband and "MY" Grand-daughter, daughter is a crack shot with her 357 mag and her 7x57 mauser, her husband also shoots. I was showing her the artical on the Canadian couple that had a fit about the word gun in the spelling class and she said when the Grand-daughter is 5 gonna get her a small .22 and teach her to shoot. (Grand daughter turns 3 on the 17th of Feb) I ordered a Chipmunk (with camo stock of course) today, thought would get it before they ran out of stock or something.:D
I was raised by my mon and an ALKY step father. But the one thing he knew for sure was Hunting and Fishing and was a great teacher, were stil good friends today.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
554 Posts
I think the root of it was how access to hunting and fishing sites is closing. It's a lot harder than it used to be to step into a field of birds or take the boat out fishing. You have to really want to do it -- no more casual, inexpensive days in the field.

Access, plus the fact that the majority of kids don't grow up on or next to a farm, prarie or forest anymore is significant. Most live in sterile sub urban neighborhoods (even in Colorado and Montana). The whole concept of wilderness is becoming unusual and alien.

God help us, we are euro-fying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts