Shooters Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I've got a little Springfield Armory 9MM that goes everywhere with me. Sometimes I wear it, and sometimes it stays in the truck. About 3 or 4 years ago, I was on a fishing/camping trip. I sleep in the back of my truck in a shell with that 9mm right by my side.

About a week went by and that thing was nowhere to be found! Every place a human could look I looked twice. Finally I went down to the Sheriff's Office and filed a lost or stolen report. The Sheriff Deputy took the report even though, if it had been lost it most likely would have been in a distant County. We didn't know, so my County went ahead and filed the NCIC report.

A couple of weeks later I jumped in my old Ford "work" truck to go the landfill or somewhere. Driving down the road, I remembered that just a few weeks earlier I had gone to the dump in that truck. Hopeful and praying, I reached down under the middle of the bench seat and there was my little 9MM.... waiting. So, back down to the SO I had to go, but I was happy about it. Elated even.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
My mother-in-law lost a brace of guns by 'giving' them to a 'friend'. He was supposed to sell them and remit the funds to her. Been several years now, police no help, friend nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's my story and word of warning about those who hire a moving company when leaving the state for greener pastures. I only owned several long guns at the time, mostly antiques, numbering 7 as I recall. Moving for a job transfer to another state and hired a moving company. Carefully packed the long guns in 3 tall boxes made for lamps and such, and held them back while the movers loaded the van, wanting them to be placed in the middle of the load, not where they can be accessed easily.

As I brought the boxes forward for loading, the driver asks "are these firearms, you have to disclose any firearms?". I said yes. He then proceeds to open a side door and position the boxes where they can be quickly grabbed, instead of putting them in the middle of the load.

I spoke up loudly that he was putting them there to be stolen. He stopped what he was doing, put the boxes back into the middle of the load and related how he was under FBI investigation for firearms theft. I could see why, he initially put those guns where he did with no hesitation like he'd been doing it all his life.

The load made it to the new home, nothing missing, but it taught me a valuable lesson.

What is the best way to handle firearms when using a commercial mover? I thought about packing them in my car, but two nights in hotels with guns left in the car didn't appeal to me, nor did moving them into and out of hotel rooms.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts