Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the call from my wife while I was at work today that the front door was kicked in when she got home from Costco today. Raced home to find the gun safe cleaned out, the wifes jewelry case gone and the lap top. still sorting out what else is missing. they carried off the wifes pistol safe and left the keys. Hope they didn't open it first... they took the keys to my standup safe like they expect to come back when my insurance replaces the contents. I beat the cops there by half an hour even with my normal half hour drive cut down to 10 minutes.

What is this world coming to? The cops seemed pretty bla-zay about the whole afair and complained that even if they do catch the people responsible that they are out the same day. Isn't stealing a gun a federal felony? doesn't the sytem have teeth for this? I know it's wrong to wish someone get hit by a truck but well I still do. :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Sorry to hear this Helix. Hope the investigative process works for you.

Where did you have the keys to the safes? Any maintenance or service people in your house lately that might be suspects? Sounds like they may have staked out your house for when they knew nobody was home?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
Ditto the bummer.

That's something we all have in the back of our minds, I would assume.

Hope they catch the perp's before all the stuff is dispersed. Good luck with the insurance, Helix.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope nobody has been here to scope the place out less you count the church ladies that my wife had over last night. safe keys were in the closet with the safes. stupid i know but we have them more to keep the baby safe than the guns. just thanking God the wife wasn't home to tangle with them. today was her day off. stuff can be replaced

·
Registered
829 Posts
sorry to hear what your going through, I have been there, and it wasnt pleasant. I hope you have a rider on your insurance, I didn't. I got enough money to replace one of my guns of the 5 they took.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm an insurance agent so I made sure i had the value covered. like I said the stuff can be replaced.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry to hear about the violation.

I might be worried about them coming back now armed when the wife was home.

> I know it's wrong to wish someone get hit by a truck but well I still do

Then they will not be able to use them for a crime, we all win!

www.frontpointsecurity.com offers a very nice wireless system.

I would put a cheap $120 security screen door on each exterior door. What we used to do is put a double cyl. deadbolt on the doors and epoxy over the lock screw heads to make exiting the house with the rental house appliances much tougher.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry for your loss. However, you are right that it's a good thing that your wife was not home. I started researching gun safes after the house beside me and in back of me were robbed in broad daylight. I finally decided on a Sturdy safe out of Fresno, Ca. 5/16 steel plate on door and 3/16 steel plate on body, 3" ceramic wool and fiberglass all around for fire protection. Weighs 1100 lbs; the bad guys might carry it off but they're gonna need a forklift.

Again, sorry for the theft but happy no one was hurt.

Jim

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Sorry for you loss. I know a lot of my guns that have been passed down through the family would be hard to replace. Hopefully some of your guns will show up on the stolen gun list at the local pawn shops. I have detailed pictures and descriptions of all my firearms becuase what happened to you could happen to any of us.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jbee, that is my concern too. Thank God we were both carrying our normal carry pieces at the time of the breakin (which was in broad daylight) because of that fact we are not unarmed. This has convinced the wife that her gun will not be off her hip anytime soon. If it convinces her to make a habit of carrying full time, no exceptions, then some good came of this as that is something that I have been trying to get her to do for some time. She is more than capable of defending herself if the need should arrise I'm just glad she didn't have to.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Sorry For The Loss

....."gun safe cleaned out" ?? How did they do that ?? Did they know the combo ?? Any "friends" or "neighbors" know the combo ??

Better first define "safe". Key and combo,key only,etc ?? -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sorry to hear about the violation.

I might be worried about them coming back now armed when the wife was home.

> I know it's wrong to wish someone get hit by a truck but well I still do

Then they will not be able to use them for a crime, we all win!

www.frontpointsecurity.com offers a very nice wireless system.

I would put a cheap $120 security screen door on each exterior door. What we used to do is put a double cyl. deadbolt on the doors and epoxy over the lock screw heads to make exiting the house with the rental house appliances much tougher.
Not sure what you mean here, but FWIW a keyed lock on both sides of the door make for a fire code violation due to egress problems. I learned that the hard way when I had an inspection of some rental property I managed many years ago

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Aside from the loss of physical, and sometimes sentimental items, the thing I've been most bothered by, after having something stolen from me, is the deep down sense of being violated. It makes a man lose faith in humanity and you become very suspicious of the motives of pretty much everyone you don't really know. So often robberies like this are done by someone you sort of know.

My dad had his 16 gauge Ithaca stolen by someone to sell for drugs. The guy was a neighbor and acted like he would become a friend. It's so hard to trust and believe in people when stuff like this happens and that is turning our world into a harder, less Christ-like place.

If one of your guns was a 7RM and you plan to replace it with another 7RM, please let me know. I have a set of dies, some brand new casings and even some components I'll send to you, for the cost of shipping.

Jason

·
Banned
507 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, that is a bummer. I have Rufus as my first line of defense, but we are home most of the time.

I am looking in to putting up internet capable cameras in my machine shop and other places in my home.

Jerry

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your collection. I hate to say, but it shows me again that the only way you can protect yourself fully, is with good insurance. Best of luck with finding replacements, etc. and also with feeling comfortable and secure in your home, once again!

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the experience, and can only imagine the anger, concern and flustration. But as you have said, you and your wife are safe and the "stuff" can be replaced......and as they say, forewarned is forearmed and you certainly have been forewarned, thus can be better prepared.

Dan

1 - 20 of 47 Posts