Shooters Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
The 57mm cartridges have not been the most popular here as they are too long for short actions and too short to fill a long action.

The 25 caliber is in the middle of too big ricochet and noise wise for varmints and too small for big game.

That's why!
Well, those are one man's opinion, and yer entitled to 'em. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
The 57mm cartridges have not been the most popular here as they are too long for short actions and too short to fill a long action.

The 25 caliber is in the middle of too big ricochet and noise wise for varmints and too small for big game.

That's why!
Forums are for expressing opinions and while I respect yours, it "sounds like" yours are based less on actual field experience and more on book / internet reading. Field experience differs with your conclusions.

In the past, the 6.5 calibers have not been popular in the US. While unpopular here, Europeans have for a VERY long time been slaying game of all sizes with great reliability from a host of 6.5 calibers. So we can all argue over what's best but field experience is another matter entirely and stands on what "is" and not what our opinions are.

In my opinion, you've very much misunderstood, underestimated and misjudged the 25 calibers - based on many, long years of FIELD experience. While the "Bob" may be fading from the rifle scene, its effectiveness in the game fields needs no defending by me or anyone else. True, it has its limitations but what caliber doesn't?

Believe it or not, there are "experienced" riflemen who are building custom rifles in guess what caliber? That's right, .257 Robert's. Maybe they know something we could learn from? :cool:

No offense intended here. Facts are facts in the field and no one's opinions will change those facts when standing over a dead elk / moose, killed by a "Bob." :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It would have been a whole lot better had the author included the most sensible cartridge: the .280 Rem. And no, I don't own one.

As objective as I can be, the .308 Win might be the second most sensible cartridge for all North American big game hunting.

In Hawkes article he mentions that he didn't include all sensible cartridges.

The cartridges I have included in this article do not include all of the sensible rifle cartridges. The .270 Winchester, perhaps the optimum long range caliber, is not included because it is so well known that little more needs to be said about it. Ditto the .308 Winchester and the .30-06, both eminently sensible cartridges and the .30-30, the best known and perhaps the most sensible deer cartridge of them all.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Forums are for expressing opinions and while I respect yours, it "sounds like" yours are based less on actual field experience and more on book / internet reading. Field experience differs with your conclusions.

In the past, the 6.5 calibers have not been popular in the US. While unpopular here, Europeans have for a VERY long time been slaying game of all sizes with great reliability from a host of 6.5 calibers. So we can all argue over what's best but field experience is another matter entirely and stands on what "is" and not what our opinions are.

In my opinion, you've very much misunderstood, underestimated and misjudged the 25 calibers - based on many, long years of FIELD experience. While the "Bob" may be fading from the rifle scene, its effectiveness in the game fields needs no defending by me or anyone else. True, it has its limitations but what caliber doesn't?

Believe it or not, there are "experienced" riflemen who are building custom rifles in guess what caliber? That's right, .257 Robert's. Maybe they know something we could learn from? :cool:

No offense intended here. Facts are facts in the field and no one's opinions will change those facts when standing over a dead elk / moose, killed by a "Bob." :)

+ 1

I own a bunch of rifles chambered in a bunch of different calibers. My only full custom rifle just happens to be a M98 in .257 Roberts. I searched a long time before finding the "one" I just had to have.

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
+ 1

I own a bunch of rifles chambered in a bunch of different calibers. My only full custom rifle just happens to be a M98 in .257 Roberts. I searched a long time before finding the "one" I just had to have.
Good thing you got to it first TN. ;)
Beautiful photo of a true Rifleman's rifle.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Most shooters do not know that the 257 Roberts went through several iterations before the final design. The first was the 25 Roberts, then the Niedner Roberts, then the G&H Roberts, and finally the Remington Roberts and the Winchester Roberts. It's been proven to be one of the best balanced and all-around useful cartridges ever made. It's taken everything from prairie chickens to elephants.

The 57mm length is a little too long for many short actions. Even the old M70 Winchester in 257 can be improved by taking out the magazine block and loading the bullets out where they belong.

As good as it is, the 257 is like everything else that is old. New generations need something new, whether it's an iPad, an automobile, or a rifle cartridge.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Headline 12/26/2014 Shooters Forum
A member that goes by MontyF said he "agrees with Kevin"
I'm getting worried, people are starting to agree with me on here.
My brother has
I don't know, seems the only disagreement I can recall is on the current production cheapy 700s. I figure once bitten twice shy, I got bit twice and called it quits. Still like the old 700s and own two of them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would disagree with nearly every cartridge he picked because there all a little to long to work really well in a short action with the exception of 300 savage and 358 Winchester. I would pick 243, 260, 7-08 and 308 and end it there. 308 is a better designed and much stronger case than 300 savage, same could be said when comparing the 7-08 and 7x57.
I had a custom 358 built years ago and shot a good bit of game with it, regardless of what I used it for it always seemed a little lacking as compared to the 308 and 7-08.
The 7-08 and the 260 in that order are my favorites.
I would add the 9.3x62.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would disagree with nearly every cartridge he picked because there all a little to long to work really well in a short action with the exception of 300 savage and 358 Winchester. I would pick 243, 260, 7-08 and 308 and end it there. 308 is a better designed and much stronger case than 300 savage, same could be said when comparing the 7-08 and 7x57.
I had a custom 358 built years ago and shot a good bit of game with it, regardless of what I used it for it always seemed a little lacking as compared to the 308 and 7-08.
The 7-08 and the 260 in that order are my favorites.
The premise of the article was sensible cartridges not best short action cartridges. I guess it is all a matter of where you are using it and for what for, to set the parameters for sensible. Sensible cartridges for North America and sensible cartridges for Africa are worlds apart. In that vein I may add the 375 H&H.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts