Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is probably a dumb question but all I’ve ever had for scopes were 3-9 and I just recently put a 1-6 on my muzzleloader. When I was sighting it in on 6 power at a hundred yards didn’t have any problems now the last few days hunting in the woods on 2 power I see the end of my barrel and if I move my head just slightly and I mean very little I can see my barrel moving considerably left to right but the reticle stays put. Is this normal and shouldn’t worry about it as long as reticle isn’t moving? Never could see the barrel on a 3 power

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,416 Posts
Either ignore it, or turn up the power ring. Problem solved......

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,016 Posts
A common occurrence with low power scope settings. As MikeG says, turn the power setting up or just ignore the barrel and concentrate on the sight picture.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a 1.25x4 on my 12ga and I can see the barrel from 2x on down, its normal. If it bothers you too much just turn it up a bit.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
So this is probably a dumb question but all I’ve ever had for scopes were 3-9 and I just recently put a 1-6 on my muzzleloader. When I was sighting it in on 6 power at a hundred yards didn’t have any problems now the last few days hunting in the woods on 2 power I see the end of my barrel and if I move my head just slightly and I mean very little I can see my barrel moving considerably left to right but the reticle stays put. Is this normal and shouldn’t worry about it as long as reticle isn’t moving? Never could see the barrel on a 3 power
Yes, it's normal to see the end of your barrel at low settings.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
You didn't mention brand or price range. However seeing as how you're talking something only 22" or so from the end of the scope, it's not likely an issue at all. To go along with those above, if it bothers you at the range, by all means keep the magnification up so the barrel is not seen. But, I can promise you that the "barrel issue" will NOT be any issue in the field when you are aiming at your deer/hog/bear. It will not be noticed at all. I have about 15 rifles with 1-4 scopes (or similar) and I hunt with all of them with the barrel visible in the scope's FOV without any problems whatsoever. You are not "helping" your view or FOV by turning it up, you're lowering your FOV and somewhat defeating the purpose of a low powered scope.

Reactions: alaska682

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,416 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hmmm, I sure am glad to read so many on the same page, for the OP!

I never experienced what he posted,... but, I focus on my intended target, and, my intended target only. I will certainly check this out during my next shoot.

Learn something new everyday! 👍

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,897 Posts
As you look through the scope at lower "power settings" nothing is moving but your eye in relation to the barrel/scope, a different angle so to speak. Just one of those quirks of low power scopes that you'll hafta get accustomed to.

RJ

·
Registered
453 Posts
You are seeing the distortion caused by the scope at close range. It is like looking through a "fish eye" camera. The angle between your eye and the scope and the barrel seems to "bend" the barrel. Put the cross hairs on your target and it will be fine.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
It is normal and as was pointed out already it is you head moving slightly which gives you the appearance of the barrel wandering around.
Some scope mounts put the scope low on the barrel and this adds to your seeing a lot of barrel and front sight through the scope.
This is a Leupold Detacho mount which is reasonably low and with the Weaver V-3 set at 1x Ican see the rear sight when folded down. I guess I got used to it.

This is a Lyman straight 3x in Weaver mounts on the same rifle. The slight increase in power and the slightly higher Weaver mount and the front sightis visible but the barrel and rear sight are not.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
It is normal and as was pointed out already it is you head moving slightly which gives you the appearance of the barrel wandering around.
Some scope mounts put the scope low on the barrel and this adds to your seeing a lot of barrel and front sight through the scope.
This is a Leupold Detacho mount which is reasonably low and with the Weaver V-3 set at 1x Ican see the rear sight when folded down. I guess I got used to it.

This is a Lyman straight 3x in Weaver mounts on the same rifle. The slight increase in power and the slightly higher Weaver mount and the front sightis visible but the barrel and rear sight are not.

Nice pre '64 M88 (y)

I like my post '64 in .308 just fine. I also have it's cousin, a M100 Carbine.

The M88 now wears a Leupold 1-4 with HD

thumbnail-88.jpeg
thumbnail-87.jpeg

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Shot little, the scars appear to be safe marks.

The post 64 is the better rifle due to minor mods and the improved stock and recoil block.
The 88 and 100 make good offhand rifles. Tom Hayes whom I respect did not like them.
All I really need are detachable sling swivels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts