Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought what I thought was Winchester large pistol primers at a gun show. When I got home I looked again and somehow the seller had handed me Win large rifle primers.
No big deal really, I can use those.

Today I was checking my inventory and found a box of 1000 Winchester large rifle magnum primers.
I realized these were the primers I had got from the gun show.
Now I have a slight delima. I don't load anything that needs magnum primers. All I load is 30-30, 7.62 NATO, and .303 British.
I can't take them back, and I don't have any shooting buddies that use LR magnum primers to trade with.

So I'm wondering, when I do get back to loading my rifle rounds, (this will be when I get the he!! out of IL), is there a rule of thumb that I could go by to lower my powder charges to compensate for the hotter magnum primers?
For instance, I usually load 34.5grs of Win 748 under a 150 bullet in the 30-30. How much might I drop the powder charge to equalize things.

I know, there is a ton of variations to consider.

I'd be tickled if anyone in the Springfield IL area would want to trade me for a 1000 standard Win LR primers. I shoot so few rifle rounds that it will take me forever to load all these up. What a pain.

Thanks, J

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
Speer shows loads with their magnum rifle primers for all three cartridges, generally with ball or spherical powder.

I would get a copy of one of their recent loading manuals (#12 or #13) and use that data, working up as usual.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use CCI Mag primers on most of my loads other than my 454 Casull loads...I hunt cold climates and need good ignition. Most of my loads are compressed and hot. Never had a problem using Mag primers. It seems I get a better burn rate using the mag primers...very consistent. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
63 Posts
If using the mag' primers I'd try going with the slower 'ball' powders, especially in a lever action .30-30 (due to pressure), and in an accurate cartridge like the .308. The old .303 may need the slower powder just to keep pressure within spec', too. I doubt too many people use Winchester mag' primers in the .308 with the ball powders normally spec'd for that cartridge.

It might be interesting to load Winchester 760 in a .308 since you're already 'stuck' with the mag' primers.

Best Regards.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
safetysheriff,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used a ton of Win 760 in the 303, so backing down a bit and using the mag primers won't cause me any bother.
However the 7.62 I have is an Ishapor 2A #1 MK 3. It is very pressure sensitive. It even shows pressure signs with commercial 150gr ammo. I have to load it to no more than NATO specs or I have trouble with it. I've been loading 748 in it and finally found two loads it will work good with . With the same 147- 150 gr BT SP or FMJ I load two different charges of 748 depending on weather I'm using Military or Commercial brass. This one I'm kinda leery of.

I think Mike G is right, I need to get some up to date loading manuals. All mine are a bit old. I haven't been shooting much the last 5 years, and loading less.

Maybe I should load some 760 in the 30-30 Trapper and see what kind of fire balls I get. :D

·
Banned
548 Posts
If you have access to a chronograph, and work up your loads to duplicate the velocity of the standard primer load, you should have no problems. In most cases you will get the desired max velocity with a few grains less powder.

Most Mag primers have a longer, flatter burn curve, not a higher peak, than standard. The idea is to avoid undue influence on the pressure curve of the load. The Mags deliver more energy with a longer pulse, and this tends to bring up pressures by igniting more powder in a progressive way. If they just pushed up the peaks and delivered more energy in the same time, there would be a lot of blown up guns out there.

I suspect, for example, that Win WLR primers have standard energy delivery, but a pretty high peak - many of my loads say they are hotter than CCI Mag primers from a pressure perspective.

·
Banned
346 Posts
I was always under the imprestion that .When using ball Powders one had to use a Mag primer due to poor ignition with normal primers.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,

I've used Winchester and other ball powders for about 30 years now. I switched from the extruded powders when I found my powder measure would through consistant charges. I didn't have to wiegh them every time. This provided me with excellent accuracy and very good useable loads. All with standard primers.
I've never "had" to use mag primers.

Many of the big belted mag rifle cartridges are said to need them because of the large ammount of slow burning powder they use. But for standard non mag rounds, I don't think they are needed.

Speer is bad about calling for mag primers. They even do this with standard powders that don't need it. I've begun to think their primers just don't have the needed umph to properly ignite the powder, so they compensate by using the mag primers.

All I really know is that I've never needed them so I thought I'd ask.

Joe

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I've heard it helps to use mag primers with ball due to the ignition but have no personal exp with it. From my understanding using mag primers in standards helps when using compressed loads.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
J Miller, first things first if you have a box of 1000 that's still new in the box. Go to your local sporting goods dealer and ask if they will trade for the standard primers or whatever you need most often they'll do it as a good will gesture. Never hurts to ask. I have done this and the local guy gets more of my business now. If this does not work ask around through friends you may be able to swap or sell. That being said, you already have a lot of other good suggestions to mull over.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
J Miller said:
Last year I bought what I thought was Winchester large pistol primers at a gun show. When I got home I looked again and somehow the seller had handed me Win large rifle primers.
No big deal really, I can use those.

Today I was checking my inventory and found a box of 1000 Winchester large rifle magnum primers.
I realized these were the primers I had got from the gun show.
Now I have a slight delima. I don't load anything that needs magnum primers. All I load is 30-30, 7.62 NATO, and .303 British.
I can't take them back, and I don't have any shooting buddies that use LR magnum primers to trade with.

So I'm wondering, when I do get back to loading my rifle rounds, (this will be when I get the he!! out of IL), is there a rule of thumb that I could go by to lower my powder charges to compensate for the hotter magnum primers?
For instance, I usually load 34.5grs of Win 748 under a 150 bullet in the 30-30. How much might I drop the powder charge to equalize things.

I know, there is a ton of variations to consider.

I'd be tickled if anyone in the Springfield IL area would want to trade me for a 1000 standard Win LR primers. I shoot so few rifle rounds that it will take me forever to load all these up. What a pain.

Thanks, J

I don't use Winchester primers because they don't function well in my Lee primer seater. Years ago I stopped using anything but CCI magnum primers in both pistols and rifles.

I just liked the idea that I only had to stock one primer for the rifles and one primer for pistols. I work up my loads just like most folks do, except I do it with magnum primers.

I have had no problems with accuracy, ignition or pressure. I don't know if this is the right or wrong thing to do, but it works for me. If you already have loads you use with standard primers you might want to rework those loads with the magnum primers.

Simple solution is to trade or give them to a friend whom reloads and uses magnum primers. Primers are not very expensive so get a box of what you like and use them if you feel the least uncomfortable with something new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts