Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was loading up a sack of 45 Colt cart. with 20 grains of H110 and some 300 grain Saeco cast bullets. These bullets are gas checked.
I had originally sized and lubed the bullets sans the gas check to see how accurate they were. They proved to be awful in the accuracy.
Last night I ran them back thru the sizer to seat the gas checks. They got a small bit of LBT lube on the gas check of each bullet. As I was seating the bullets in the case, I wiped most of it off, but some remained.
I'm curious if there's a body of knowledge and/or experience that has shown one way or the other that it makes any difference.
Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Arkypete
  When I use gas checks on my bullets I alwaysm clean the gas checks of any lube but when I dont use gas checks , I usually just wipe the bottoms of . Now I've always heard that the lube would interfere with the burning rate of the powder yet with my bare-bottomed bullets I have a ring of exposed lube where the gas check would be and I dont see ay difference in the performance.Huh, I 've never thought about it before you asked the question Go ahead and try some that are wiped clean and some that are a bit covered with lube and let us know.
  tbc

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bulletcaster
I took all of those bullets that I had loaded up out to the range yesterday. I had not made any separation between the bullets will lube on the base and those with out. There did not appear to be any difference in point of impact.
I took the 45 Colt loads out to the range yesterday, 300 grain  Saeco GC'd, sitting on 20 grain of H110. I fired 60 - 70 rounds through the Rossi Winchester mod 92 and 30 rounds through the Colt Anaconda.
Both of the firearms liked that loading. The Anaconda will need to have it's sites adjusted but it shot well at 25 yeards. The Rossi did right well at 50 yards, keeping 10 shots inside of a 3 inch circle. I realise this is not target grade accuracy, but considering buckhorn sites, not bad.
Next week I'll fill the back end of my SUV up with a few buckets of this load and start working at 100.
I found the time lag between the shot getting off and the slap of the bullet hitting the card board, amusing. I have no idea as to the velocity of this load but relative to my 25-06 it's slow.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts