Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im just getting started in casting i know i need to size and lube my bullets do the lee lube sizing kits work ok or should i just bite the bullet and buy the lyman 450 if i go with the lyman do i need the heater too i will be casting for 44mag contender
if you were to make a casting kit for a newbe what would you put in it thanks

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
IMO, for bullets meant for up to 1000 fps, the Lee lube sizing kit using liquid Alox will work fine as will the Lyman 450. With the Lee, bullets once sized and coated with Alox need to be set on their bases to allow the Alox to dry overnight. The Lyman 450 will both size and lubricate bullets without a need for a drying period. It boils down to budget and convenience. You can make good bullets either way.

If you are shooting bullets in excess of 1000 fps and using the Lyman 450, a heater would be a good choice as you may be working with hard lubes that need to be softened to flow through the lubrisizer. Also, for higher velocities, using either Lee or Lyman equipment, suggest you consider selecting a bullet with a gas check otherwise you may have leading problems in your barrel.

A casting kit list for a newbie can cover a lot of ground. You can research this site and come up with some good suggestions as this has been covered numerous times. Lyman offers a beginners kit for new casters or you can put a kit together from components. If you have specific questions, do come back with them as there are serious casters here who are willing to help. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get the Lyman heater and an RCBS sizer....and dies and top punches. Wonderful warranty from RCBS.
I've used the Lee bottom pour pots for years, with no major problems, and I'd say a bit over half of my bullet molds are Lee molds, the others RCBS.

You can also pan lube your bullets and run them through a Lee sizer, it works just fine and will also seat gas checks if that's what kind of bullet you want to cast.

If you use the Liquid Alox, be aware that less is better. All you want is a very thin coating on your bullet. Thin the stuff out with mineral spirits. The proper amount will almost look like you shellacked the bullets. It will sooner or later gum up your seating die, too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 2 Lyman 450's they have served me well for many years. Been using White Label lube, cheap and works good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the Lee Alox Lube on my cast lead bullets. Yeah, just a little alox lube goes a long ways. I just put a few lead bullets in a zip-lock bag then put a few drops of alox lube and mash the lead bullets around in the bag. Then set all the bullets on some wax paper to dry over night.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I started with the Lee tumble lube Alox, but didn't like the way the bullets looked (dirty brown all over) So I bought a Lyman sizer press and never looked back. I use Lyman's alox or the super moly lube sticks. No heater needed for either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts