Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some bullets I'd like to shoot "as cast". How do i lube them, without a luber sizer?  I have some alox (i think) leftover from loading 20 years ago.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Just smear it into the grooves, if it's soft at room temperature.  That's the extent that I have done this, it is slow but works.  Try a butter knife.

I guess if the lube is hard heat it up a little.

·
Registered
50 Posts
humpty
 I orginially sent this reply to Humpty ,but I thought someone else might be able to use it.It is the cooky cutter way.You take a case of the same type you are reloading for and cut the back end off.This is your cooky cutter.You stand your bullets in a shallow pan and heat your lube until it will pour and pour it in the pan untill you have covered the bases of your bullets with lube and let them cool down.When they are cooled down push your cooky cutter over them and they wil come out the back end lubed perfect!This is one of the things I learned 'way back in 1946 when I first  started casting bullets.We've come alooong way,baby, but some times you have to go back to the basics
  tbc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bulletcaster, your'e smarter than a white lab rat. That is a dandy way of lubing. If I pay attention, I learn something everyday!
                                                 Yours truly,
                                                      Walt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Walt
  I did NOT invent the cooky cutter idea.I read about it in Ideal Handbook put out by Lyman in the mid 40's.If I remember correctally,it was called the KOOKY KUTTER.But thanks for your compliment(?)any way (I think)
 tbc

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Another satisfactory method is to melt your lube in a very shallow container (tuna can works well), and dip your bullets, base first up to the top lube groove, while holding onto the nose of the bullet with your index finger and thumb, then wiping the base of the bullet off on a pad of paper towel laid out flat.  Stand your dip-lubed bullet base down on a sheet of wax paper and allow to cool.  

If you need to size the bullets, the push-through bullet sizing kits from Lee Precision that screw into your loading press do a fine job of bullet sizing and gas-check seating.

Best of results to you!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts